va_bank

Should I follow up with local PD or just wait for the call?

Hi All,

I submitted for 2 P2P (already have FID) back in the beginning of November and obviously wondering when it will be completed. Do you guys ever follow up with your PDs or just wait? I don't want to piss anybody off but I need to know if there's a problem or if they need more information.

Any thoughts? The permitting hours in my town are tongiht, wondering if I should stop by or not.

Inquire if your references came back and if the state police background check has come in. Ask them what the next step is in the process and when you should follow-up, again. Don't annoy them, but don't let it go, either.

I just followed up on mine and got a very gracious response, apologizing for the delay. In my email I try not use accusations, I make it seem like I wanted to be sure I didn't screw up.

' Hello, I am just following up on my application for permits to purchase that was submitted on date. I had noticed that my references had not yet received letters so I just wanted to confirm that I am not missing anything on my end that would be delaying my application.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter'

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just followed up on mine and got a very gracious response, apologizing for the

Of course you did. Thats how they keep feeding you shit sandwhiches and smile as they do so. Keeps you thinking that they are doing their best and working their hardest to get your permits done.

Reality is your paperwork is sitting in a pile with coffee stains and crumbs on it. Its in the "I'll get to it when I feel like it" pile.

I got my FID and P2P's within one week of inquiring in person. I was very nice, but I think showing up there let them know I was serious about getting it back. I suggest going in person and just asking whether everything is back, if there is anything they still need from you, and if they can give you a timeline for when they expect everything to be done.

Of course you did. Thats how they keep feeding you shit sandwhiches and smile as they do so. Keeps you thinking that they are doing their best and working their hardest to get your permits done.

Reality is your paperwork is sitting in a pile with coffee stains and crumbs on it. Its in the "I'll get to it when I feel like it" pile.

Maybe that's how it is in some towns but I got my FID and any permits within a month every other time so I'm giving benefit of the doubt with holidays and backlog. If they did this every time I'd be concerned but I don't believe that to be the case.

Just came back from there. Said they never got both my reference letters. I know my friends have sent them. They said they are running 6 months behind on permits. I give up, this is impossible in this state. Gonna go tomorrow get my money back that I put down to reserve the handgun.

Just came back from there. Said they never got both my reference letters. I know my friends have sent them. They said they are running 6 months behind on permits. I give up, this is impossible in this state. Gonna go tomorrow get my money back that I put down to reserve the handgun.

hey hold on there. don't despair.

some PDs will just let your paperwork sit there forever if your references are not mailed back.

true that it is odd both references did not make it but just call them & have them send it out again.

this time, have your references send it back via certified mail. pay them back the postage if you have to.

after your references resend them back, check with the PD in 2 weeks time about the references.

good luck.

Maybe that's how it is in some towns but I got my FID and any permits within a month every other time so I'm giving benefit of the doubt with holidays and backlog. If they did this every time I'd be concerned but I don't believe that to be the case.

Thats awesome. What town?

The detective told me to bring them in in person. I contacted my friends last night, they have mailed forms this morning, to me directly. I will then bring them directly to PD and ask what's next - according to the detective, all my other paperwork has come in - the mental health check, the state police check, everything. So let's see if they put me in the back of the pile once I bring them the letters.

The detective told me to bring them in in person. I contacted my friends last night, they have mailed forms this morning, to me directly. I will then bring them directly to PD and ask what's next - according to the detective, all my other paperwork has come in - the mental health check, the state police check, everything. So let's see if they put me in the back of the pile once I bring them the letters.

really? they usually want the forms sent directly back to them.

oh well. sounds like everything is looking good.

if you don't want to go through this again later, maybe you should ask if you can increase the number of permits since your process has not completed.

heck, it's only $2 a permit even if you don't intend to use them.

you may just change your mind later

how long after anyone submitted paperwork did your PD send out the reference questionnaires to your references? (not sure if my PD calls or mails).. i submitted on 1/14, printed on 1/22 and my references have not received anything yet from my PD re: reference check.. i know my refs will send back ASAP once they get (if mailed).. since this is the first time for me (FPID and P2P's), not sure how long my town takes (although I've heard its not terrible comparatively).

My references sent them out immediately. I know it for a fact. Both letters were lost, I'm not going to speculate how.

Either way, my friends had new letters in my hand within 2 days and one was sending it from Texas! I took the letters to PD this morning, seems like the records lady (who was very nice) is the one holding the cards. I was nice to her, she was nice to me. Let's see what happens now.

Since I don't have a local PD we have to go to the NJSP in Hamilton. For the P2Ps they have been calling references within about 2 weeks of receiving the paperwork.

I am going on 41 days though for a change of address on my FID

My references sent them out immediately. I know it for a fact. Both letters were lost, I'm not going to speculate how.

Either way, my friends had new letters in my hand within 2 days and one was sending it from Texas! I took the letters to PD this morning, seems like the records lady (who was very nice) is the one holding the cards. I was nice to her, she was nice to me. Let's see what happens now.

don't overdo it....

how long after anyone submitted paperwork did your PD send out the reference questionnaires to your references? (

In Jackson for my initial FID, the PD claimed they sent the letters out within 2 weeks, but my references never received them. When I called to ask about it, the clerk told me the letters had already been mailed, but I could stop and pick up a new set and personally deliver and return. I hand carried the letters to the references and back to the PD. Weird thing was, the references got letters later in the week that I called. (They obviously never sent them and lied about it)

I just dropped off forms for 3 PP's.....my references had the letters in hand the next week.

Either way, don't be afraid to follow up. Just be polite and ask if there's anything additional you need to do.

I'm beginning to think that's part of the game....if you don't bug them, you obviously don't need them that bad, so they'll wait until you show you're serious.

The reference letter is interesting. I don't know if they are standardized but the one I saw was one page and mostly questions about the applicant. Even if you have known someone for years you may not really know all the answers.

Presumably you, the applicant, would provide references that would vouch for you so it is curious why the reference letter takes on such high importance in the process.

my references just got their letters on Friday (at least one of them did) and returned it. So hopefully that is the last step of the process and its a short waiting time from here on.. Howell isnt known for taking an exorbitant amount of time apparently, so hopefully i get it in the next couple weeks. Been 4 weeks as of tomorrow

Absolutely follow up!

The last round of permits I applied for I supplied my ref's with usps mailers that had delivery confirmations on em...

"I see my ref's were received on this date..was wondering if you needed anything else from me"

Be polite, but persistent!