Jersey Joe

Opinions for new 308 Bolt action

I'm looking at getting into a precision bolt action and would like some opinions. I guess I've got it almost narrowed down to either off the shelf or build. For off the shelf I was thinking either Savage 10ba, a Remington 5r variant, or a Sako TRG-22. If I build, it would be Savage or Remy with AIS or KRD chassis. I will try to buy used of possible but the Sav/Rem actions are so cheap I may go new if necessary. I have done a TON research so kinda know the lay of the land but it never hurts to talk with the local experts. This will be a target rifle. I'd love the ability to shoot 1000 meters but the reality is that I'm bound to my local ranges. So, I think the majority of shooting will be 100-300.

TIA!

I'm looking at getting into a precision bolt action and would like some opinions. I guess I've got it almost narrowed down to either off the shelf or build. For off the shelf I was thinking either Savage 10ba, a Remington 5r variant, or a Sako TRG-22. If I build, it would be Savage or Remy with AIS or KRD chassis. I will try to buy used of possible but the Sav/Rem actions are so cheap I may go new if necessary. I have done a TON research so kinda know the lay of the land but it never hurts to talk with the local experts. This will be a target rifle. I'd love the ability to shoot 1000 meters but the reality is that I'm bound to my local ranges. So, I think the majority of shooting will be 100-300.

TIA!

Joe,

Let me know what you find out... I've been thinking about this same kind of rifle lately, as well. I've been looking at the Savage rifles as I already own an older Savage 30-06 hunting rifle that I really like... but I really would like to get into a .308 platform for precision target shooting that I can also use for hunting as well.

Thanks!

Tony. ..Here's the quick from what I've gathered so far.

Rem700 is the Gold standard as it is the military sniping platform, tons of aftermarket stuff, and lots gunsmiths work on them.

Savage are really inexpensive, their Accu-Trigger is very good and adjustable, barrel changes can be done without a gunsmith, tons of aftermarket goodies.

The TRG is more popular globally than here in US, proven sniping/long range platform, shoots lights out right out of the box, proprietary scope mounts, accessories and the gun are stupid expensive, limited support.

That's the skinny as I see it. What I keep reading is "Any of these guns will shoot better than you so find one that fits and spend as much as possible on optics".

It will be good to have a partner down in the SCFGPA sewer pipes :-)

Is this for hunting?

I've been thinking about a new rifle as well and going back and forth on calibers. I have a nice 308 lever and a 30-06 bolt but I'm thinking about something bigger. I've heard that .308 isn't great for moose (what I'd eventually like to go after) and that even a 30-06 can take a few well placed shots to down a big bull. I'm currently looking at 7mm, 338wm/rum, 375h&h. I've read good things about 325 wsm but I can't seem to find a Rem700 in that caliber.

I had the very same project in mind. I wanted to build this 1000 yard target rifle. The only problem is i don't have access to a 1000 yard range. On top of that i'm really not at that level yet. I changed my build completely and went with the 223. I chose 223 because it has enough range to practice my shooting and at half the price. The longest i can shoot at ranges around here are 300 yards. Once i master that i will get the 308.

Is this for hunting?

I've been thinking about a new rifle as well and going back and forth on calibers. I have a nice 308 lever and a 30-06 bolt but I'm thinking about something bigger. I've heard that .308 isn't great for moose (what I'd eventually like to go after) and that even a 30-06 can take a few well placed shots to down a big bull. I'm currently looking at 7mm, 338wm/rum, 375h&h. I've read good things about 325 wsm but I can't seem to find a Rem700 in that caliber.

I want something that will do double duty as a target/precision rifle and also for hunting. I'm not planning on hunting anything larger than deer or maybe hogs... so the .308 will be fine for me. I might end up selling my 30-06 as I never use it.

Best bang for the buck is Savage. THeir barrels have been better than remington for a while, and right now QC across the board is better. Their aftermarket is growing as well. There are good reasons for this. The remington 700 has the biggest pile of aftermarket goodies and gunsmiths out there. More and more it seems, you will need it.

I personally chose column C, but if I were buying one today and had a budget, it'd be a savage.

For precision "out of the box" take a look at the FNH SPG A3G. Even I, frequently get sub .5 MOA groups. Best to date has been .21" @ 100 yards. That's for five shots with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr. ammo. Well worth the money at $2550.00 from Grab-a-Gun in Texas. Might be hard to find now though.