BOOMSTICK

BAD BUFFER DETENT SPRING?

I got an itchy finger yesterday so a buddy of mine and I decided to go out to the private property where he shoots. I only had 1 box of Federal Premium LE Tactical to spend. After around 8 shots, I started getting sporatic misfires. Upon inspecting the misfired ammo, I noticed a variation of primer strikes. After the malfunction, they were very light. I then found the buffer detent spring and detent in the trigger assembly. The spring was in two pieces.

Before someone suggests that the castle nut wasnt tight enough, I don't have one. I have the new Magpul Moe rifle stock kit. (looks awesome by the way)

The detent still looks new. Is it possible that it was just a bad spring? Weak point maybe?

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/DPMS-Panther-Arms-/Complete-Lower-Assembly-sid812.aspx

Are you talking about the buffer retainer spring? Can't see why that would break. In theory your rifle should operate without the buffer retainer and spring.

Please take a deep look at your rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/DPMS-Panther-Arms-/Complete-Lower-Assembly-sid812.aspx

Are you talking about the buffer retainer spring? Can't see why that would break. In theory your rifle should operate without the buffer retainer and spring.

In theory yes... but when the detent and spring are in ut fcg it jams it up... its happened to me.. took 5 minutes to fix and I was shooting again

http://www.brownells...bly-sid812.aspx

Really? Then what is supposed to hold the rifle buffer in the tube? After removing the rear takedown pin, the buffer was all the way against the hammer and I had to use a screwdriver through the ejection port to push the buffer back so I could open the rifle.

Really? Then what is supposed to hold the rifle buffer in the tube? After removing the rear takedown pin, the buffer was all the way against the hammer and I had to use a screwdriver through the ejection port to push the buffer back so I could open the rifle.

I think he was just saying the gun does not need the retainer to operate. If you got the thing together somehow without the retainer it would work. As you say the retainer is necessary to disassemble though. And as Mr. Turtle said, the trigger/hammer assembly does not play nice with large piece of foreign debris. If the parts were binding with the hammer or stopping it from making a full stroke (?) I could easily see light strikes as a symptom.

Was your receiver extension partially covering the retainer? If not then Turtle has it right, get the new parts and screw in the extension further.

Don't get twisted. I'm just telling you that without the buffer retainer and spring your rifle should function. Your bolt lays against that buffer all the time. Tubbs actually makes weights that go between the buffer and the bolt and you have to remove both take down pins to open the rifle.

Now I understand that initially you probably didn't know the problem but God forbid it ever happens to you or someone else all you have to do is remove both take down pins to disassemble the rifle.

Good luck!

Don't get twisted. I'm just telling you that without the buffer retainer and spring your rifle should function. Your bolt lays against that buffer all the time. Tubbs actually makes weights that go between the buffer and the bolt and you have to remove both take down pins to open the rifle.

Now I understand that initially you probably didn't know the problem but God forbid it ever happens to you or someone else all you have to do is remove both take down pins to disassemble the rifle.

Good luck!

I was hoping that you werent going to take it like you did. I wasnt being sarcastic. I was just confused as to how it would have been held without it is all. I apologize if that's the way it came out.

I think he was just saying the gun does not need the retainer to operate. If you got the thing together somehow without the retainer it would work. As you say the retainer is necessary to disassemble though. And as Mr. Turtle said, the trigger/hammer assembly does not play nice with large piece of foreign debris. If the parts were binding with the hammer or stopping it from making a full stroke (?) I could easily see light strikes as a symptom.

Was your receiver extension partially covering the retainer? If not then Turtle has it right, get the new parts and screw in the extension further.

Stupid question... Does the tube have to just catch the detent? Or the buffer? I think when I assembled it, for some reasn, I just had the buf...err....I think I just solved my issue. Wow.

I still need a replacement spring though. Do hardware stores carry springs that I can cut down? Or do I have to make the drive out to a dealer for a fifteen cent piece? I'm in the New Egypt area.

Just in case anyone is wondering what the hell I did...

As I sit here at work, i'm thinking back to when I put the new stock on and I can remember that I didnt use the TUBE to hold down the edge of the detent. My dumbass used JUST THE EDGE OF THE BUFFER to hold it down. Yes...I admit...i'm a moron.

See what excitement gets you when you get a new part??

If anyone around the New Egypt area has a spare buffer detent spring to spare, please hit me up. I have offers from members to mail me one but I figured I would check local first.

Thanks

That sounds like disassembly. He said OPERATE. and it will operate without the detent as it should always be touching the carrier during operation, even with the detent in place. Once you start levering the upper away form the lower on disassembly, ti buffer will try to do it's own thing though.