Bbott

Firearm Transport Question - SUV - Gun Bag

I know there is a sticky dedicated to this topic, however I didn't seem to find an exact answer to my specific question.

I drive an SUV (no locking trunk). I have a gun bag with 3 compartments. 2 of the compartments are padded and hold handguns, both are lockable. The last compartment is not lockable and is larger. All three compartments are separate from each other.

My questions is can I carry my ammo and magazines in the middle compartment which is NOT lockable. The side gun compartments would be locked, and hand guns would be w/o their magazines.

I read on the NJSP website that even ammo needs to be locked if it's not placed in a lockable trunk but then there are some people that say it doesn't have to be locked if it's separate from the locked handguns? I would assume I should go w/ what's posted on the NJSP website to be 100% safe, however I'd prefer not to have to buy a lockable ammo case if it's not needed, considering I just bought one that does NOT lock....

Can someone provide some guidance?

I have a lockable ammo can & have a lockable pistol case.

That way, there's no misunderstanding if I ever get stopped.

Do you really want to argue with the state trooper on the side of the road while you google your smart phone for the answer? :onthequiet:

Valid point, I'll invest in a lockable ammo box. No reason to chance it. Thanks.

I've often wondered the same exact thing. What I do is, ammo/empty mags go in a locked dry storage box. Handgun has a trigger lock installed on it with the slide open, and it goes inside a pistol box with an external combo lock. That whole thing goes inside a backpack which also is locked. That way when i get to the range, im wearing a backpack and carrying an ammo can. It seems like a lot and it probably is too much but I'd rather be as safe as possible.

edit to add.. I also drive an SUV which is why I'm so cautious

2C:39-6g All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Other than that the firearm(s) must be unloaded, ammo is not mentioned. If it is locked in a trunk, nothing else is mentioned. If it is not locked in a trunk, it must be cased in some fashion, locked is not specified.

Not legal advice, just what I do. Handguns in the plastic boxes they came in, rifles in cases. No mags in any gun. All mags loaded, mags + ammo in zippered bag along with the rest of the small shooting supplies.

Technically under 39-6g you could have a handgun in the box it shipped in on your passenger seat with a loaded mag in said box, but not in the gun, so long as you are driving to/from range/etc.

I've often wondered the same exact thing. What I do is, ammo/empty mags go in a locked dry storage box. Handgun has a trigger lock installed on it with the slide open, and it goes inside a pistol box with an external combo lock. That whole thing goes inside a backpack which also is locked. That way when i get to the range, im wearing a backpack and carrying an ammo can. It seems like a lot and it probably is too much but I'd rather be as safe as possible.

edit to add.. I also drive an SUV which is why I'm so cautious

Yes, sounds like over kill :-)

Better safe than sorry though!!

Other than that the firearm(s) must be unloaded, ammo is not mentioned. If it is locked in a trunk, nothing else is mentioned. If it is not locked in a trunk, it must be cased in some fashion, locked is not specified.

Not legal advice, just what I do. Handguns in the plastic boxes they came in, rifles in cases. No mags in any gun. All mags loaded, mags + ammo in zippered bag along with the rest of the small shooting supplies.

Technically under 39-6g you could have a handgun in the box it shipped in on your passenger seat with a loaded mag in said box, but not in the gun, so long as you are driving to/from range/etc.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to lock both the guns and ammo, separately. I'd prefer to be extra cautious than have a local LEO arrest me or give me a hard time for a law even they don't fully understand.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to lock both the guns and ammo, separately. I'd prefer to be extra cautious than have a local LEO arrest me or give me a hard time for a law even they don't fully understand.

IMO, if they know you have guns in the car you've already lost...

I must be doing it all wrong. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but after reading all the precautions people take I'm starting to doubt myself.

I usually throw two pistols in their pastic boxes in an old laptop bag, unloaded mags in, extra mags on a smaller pocket, ammo in the same bag wherever there is room (sometimes right next to the pistol cases, other times on a different pocket), eyes, ears and targets somewhere else in the bag, zip it up (no locks), trow it the trunk and off I go. Seriously, Am I doing it right?

I drive a hatchback and i normally put the handguns and rifles unloaded in the back in unlocked soft cases or their factory plastic cases.

I put the mags and ammo in ammo cans and put them in the back seat so that they are seperated from the firearms.

I must be doing it all wrong. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but after reading all the precautions people take I'm starting to doubt myself.

I usually throw two pistols in their pastic boxes in an old laptop bag, unloaded mags in, extra mags on a smaller pocket, ammo in the same bag wherever there is room (sometimes right next to the pistol cases, other times on a different pocket), eyes, ears and targets somewhere else in the bag, zip it up (no locks), trow it the trunk and off I go. Seriously, Am I doing it right?

IANAL...

Is there no ammo in the gun (chamber/cylinder empty and magazine, if present, empty)?

Is the gun EITHER cased in some fashion OR locked in the trunk?

Can you legally posses the gun during your trip (handguns to/from range, etc)?

If you answer yes, you're good...

Its not that complicated, get acquainted with 2C:39 and 2C:58. Specifically 2C:39-6g... hell I even quoted it above, but here it is again.

2C:39-6g All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

EDIT - If you're concerned about a cop not knowing the law, and he finds out you have guns, you're probably screwed anyway. If he doesn't know the requirements of 2C:39-6g, he's likely making it up as he goes along and if it doesn't "seem right" to him, you're wrong...

This question comes up periodically.Both my vehicles have trunks that are considered accessible. A suv and estate car, I transport my loaded mags and spare ammo in my range bag and the guns in a secured gun case. Obviously away from prying eyes.

Good to go.....now there have been questions about locking the guns up ,ammo ,unloaded mags and speed loaders,carrying copies of your p2ps and you're quite welcomed to but it's quite unnecessary.

Do whatever you want with the ammo except load it into any firearm while transporting. Same compartment, different; locked, unlocked; loose, in a box; already loaded in magazine, not in magazine; wearing tiny bullet coats, nude; or anything else.

The requirement is that all weapons being transported shall be

A. carried unloaded AND

___1. contained in a closed and fastened case OR

___2. contained in a closed and fastened gunbox OR

___3. contained in a securely tied package OR

___4. locked in the trunk of the automobile.

Anything else is at your discretion.

If the vehicle does not have a trunk then I generally transport in a securely tied package of some sort. [sarcasm]But never with loaded magazines, because everyone knows that a loaded magazine is actually a loaded gun.[/sarcasm]Always with ammo in magazines (magazines not in gun).

By the plain language of the statue, you could place your pistols, loaded magazines (outside of the pistols) and ammo in a ziplock bag on the passenger seat and you are legal. Personnaly I prefer to keep them out of sight: I am pretty sure that if I do get pulled over and the officer sees firearms--especially in a ziplock bag--or even a range bag in plain sight there will be further questions and things might go bad. In the case of a traffic stop, the fact that I am going to/from the range or transporting arms and ammo is way more information than the officer needs to know.

That's what I'm saying. Everything is unloaded, pistols in their boxes inside the bag together with everything else. I just zip up the bag, no other locks, tossed in the trunk of the car that can not be accessible from the passanger compartment and I think I''m complying with the law. But than you see these folks at the range with their locked bags, locked ammo cans, everything screams "GUN HERE" and I wonder if I'm missing something.

they way i have done it to the range is i have a zipped up duffel bag.. in that duffel bag is a locked plastic case that contains my empty revolver.. in that same range bag is a box of ammo and ear/eye protection.. end of. i have an SUV, and as long as you have that duffel bag in the back of the SUV (and not in the back seat, where its more easily reachable), you should be fine.

That's what I'm saying. Everything is unloaded, pistols in their boxes inside the bag together with everything else. I just zip up the bag, no other locks, tossed in the trunk of the car that can not be accessible from the passanger compartment and I think I''m complying with the law. But than you see these folks at the range with their locked bags, locked ammo cans, everything screams "GUN HERE" and I wonder if I'm missing something.

I quoted the exact statute, twice now, I'm not sure how much more clear I can make it...

Sheesh. If you are not driving a manual transmission, you should probably handcuff yourself too, just to be safe.

Thank you. :)

I was dreading having to buy new shocks and springs for my Rav4 due to driving around with my 600 pound gun safe to go to the range.

By the plain language of the statue, you could place your pistols, loaded magazines (outside of the pistols) and ammo in a ziplock bag on the passenger seat and you are legal. Personnaly I prefer to keep them out of sight: I am pretty sure that if I do get pulled over and the officer sees firearms--especially in a ziplock bag--or even a range bag in plain sight there will be further questions and things might go bad. In the case of a traffic stop, the fact that I am going to/from the range or transporting arms and ammo is way more information than the officer needs to know.

This I like, except in case of road rage, but is it legal. See below.

Is that part of some law?

I have a crew cab p/u. I case or bag my long guns, case the HG's and put them on the floor behind the front seat (unless I have passengers back there). Typically I put the the ammo and loaded mags in a zip tied ammo can in the bed with the targets. I feel that I am being safer, (harder to steal, won't turn into projectiles if I get in an accident, etc.), putting the guns in the cab. I only put the ammo in the back because I don't want it to hit me in the head if I get rolled in an accident.

No, it not part of any law. It's just a description of the car I drive. The trunk can not be accessed by either the driver nor the passengers while the car is being driven. Like any other car in the world. Nothing exotic here.

Unlike a SUV or any other open trunk vehicle that either the driver or a passenger can reach back into it.

:facepalm:

No, it not part of any law. It's just a description of the car I drive. The trunk can not be accessed by either the driver nor the passengers while the car is being driven. Like any other car in the world. Nothing exotic here.

Unlike a SUV or any other open trunk vehicle that either the driver or a passenger can reach back into it.

:facepalm:

The law part being "Not accessible from the passenger compartment". Leahcim posted that it can be on the front seat in a ziplock.

I gotta double check now, I was starting to feel like an adult by making my own decisions. I started to forget NJ frowns on that.

I drive a minivan (don't laugh) and I bought a cheap $13 plastic ammo box from Amazon with a hole for a lock and a $2 lock from the supermarket. It's not brinks but it satisfies the law. Better safe than sorry.

Minivan definition

http://www.urbandict...hp?term=minivan

The law part being "Not accessible from the passenger compartment".

what part is that?