Jamie6607

Has anyone read the book, Unintended Consequences by John Ross?

I just finished this book and I must say that it is truly a must read for gun owners. Honestly, I'm a new guy here so I tend to stay in the background and absorb from the more seasoned members of the forum. But I truly enjoyed this book and I wanted to know if any other members had read and if not, hopefully I might convince a few to do so.

Although not completely perfect, this book can change the way people think and in my opinion, it's a TRULY relevant book given today's climate. I have convinced 4 friends of mine, including my wife, to read the book as well. Even though this book is a fictional piece, The author does a wonderful job of introducing the reader to the gun culture, using historical events and fictional characters to present a story that could quite possibly happen today if we continue down the road we are on as a nation. Anyway, has anyone else read it, what did ya think?

I have read good reviews and plan to read it in the future.

Just a little excerpt from Wikipedia that I find interesting.

Timothy McVeigh read the novel while awaiting his trial for the Oklahoma City bombing. He loved the book, and noted that if it had come out a few years earlier, he would have given serious consideration to using sniper attacks in a war of attrition against the government instead of bombing a federal building:[5]

If people say The Turner Diaries was my Bible, Unintended Consequences would be my New Testament. I think Unintended Consequences is a better book. It might have changed my whole plan of operation if I'd read that one first."

John Ross has posted a response to Timothy McVeigh's comments on his website:

First of all, authors have no control over who decides to admire their work. Remember that when the FBI searched Unabomber Ted Kaczynski’s shack (after his brother turned him in), they found only a handful of personal items and just a single, well-read book. What was the one title that the Unabomber felt was so important it was his only reading material? Earth in the Balance, by Al Gore.

It is an odd book. He is not what I would call a good writer but his story is good enough to keep you involved, even when he gets a bit nutty.

Exactly what I though...it's a great story and keeps ya hooked...the message was clear even if some things were a bit stretched.

Have you looked at the prices for that book? I have found it from mid $30's to $550........... Guess I'll check the library. I don't have a Nook, so that's out.

It's been out of print for a decade or two..IIRC ross released it online in PDF form

It's been out of print for a decade or two..IIRC ross released it online in PDF form

Supposedly, a softcover version will be coming out for around $30 http://www.accuratepress.net/ross.html

I own it in hard cover. I can't believe what some people are willing to pay for it.