NorthJersey

What should my inventory look like?

You may want to rename your "inventory" to "wish list". I am confused, as of today your inventory is going to look like this

Guns 0

Magazines 0

AR Parts and Accessories 0

If you have not received your license yet you probably have not set up any wholesale relationships yet so you may not know this. There literally isn't anything to buy out there. I have 15 guns on back order with three different providers, Lipseys, RSR and Zanders for customers with NO expected delivery date. Eventually I will probably loose these sales when my customers manage to overpay and find their guns on the auction sites. My other two suppliers have nothing either. Some of the guns are on your inventory list. To make matters even worse I enrolled in three "Stocking Dealer Programs". These are programs offered by wholesalers to encourage you to make bulk purchases of guns by offering deeper discounts, free guns and other merchandise. I enrolled in these programs thinking I would get preferred delivery on stocked items. That didn't work either. All three programs are on hold due to back orders and I have committed over $18k of capital I am holding in reserve because I entered into agreements with these suppliers for the programs, and there is no telling when I will need to pay them. Screwed myself and my joint savings account!

I only started my business a few months ago and now I sit idle with no business because simply put, there is nothing out there to buy or shall I say nothing worth buying. Good thing I didn't give up my day job. All I have done recently is the occasional transfer for people that have overpaid for guns on the auction sites. Other than that I was able to deliver ONE shot gun in the past two weeks that Lipseys happened to have in stock for some reason. I wish you the best of luck and tell you this. If you can actually stock your wish list I would be willing to pay to find out how you did it and ask if you can be my supplier.

All this leads me to ask I'm all out of fresh permits. Should I even bother to apply for more since the store shelves are pretty bare and there's very little in the supply pipeline?

If you want to buy from me, or many others like me, I would wait. My advice to my customers is to wait until the firearm is available and ordered so I can get an accurate delivery date. I will hold the gun free for as long as it takes to get your permits. If your going to order from the OP then you might as well get your permits. I don't have any "sources" other than the same ones everyone else is using.

I would like to tag along here and wait to see how quickly the OP stocks up. I will just buy my guns from them.

I probably won't rely on wholesalers initially given the state of things. I have some sources but they're based on personal relationships.

I'm guessing you wouldn't like to privately share your information with the rest of us that are not able to get inventory. Those must be some personal relationships. Some of the manufacturers that you listed on your post don't sell directly to retailers and require you to purchase through their authorized wholesalers. Others require extensive vetting before you can become an exclusive distributor for a particular area of the country and usually those dealers are pretty large organizations with the capability to purchase significant numbers of firearms.

All be it you appear to be a bigger operation than I am, most everyone is, but by your description a small fish by comparison to some of the big players. So I would love to know how it is that you get to play in the big pool with the adults.

Just jealous that's all.

I'm guessing you wouldn't like to privately share your information with the rest of us that are not able to get inventory. Those must be some personal relationships. Some of the manufacturers that you listed on your post don't sell directly to retailers and require you to purchase through their authorized wholesalers. Others require extensive vetting before you can become an exclusive distributor for a particular area of the country and usually those dealers are pretty large organizations with the capability to purchase significant numbers of firearms.

All be it you appear to be a bigger operation than I am, most everyone is, but by your description a small fish by comparison to some of the big players. So I would love to know how it is that you get to play in the big pool with the adults.

Just jealous that's all.

I won't be able to get most of the things on my list this year. I'm just saying that I have some friends who are going to help me keep my shelves from being absolutely bare. I'm probably smaller than you are.

I won't be able to get most of the things on my list this year. I'm just saying that I have some friends who are going to help me keep my shelves from being absolutely bare. I'm probably smaller than you are.

If there is a way in the future to help each other out we should. Maybe I can get something you need or you can get something I need.

Good luck and stay in touch

While I wait for the ATF to process my FFL application, I figured I might as well put something on the shelves. How do you feel about the following knife package?:

30-000718 Propel Auto - Black G-10 Handle, 420HC Blade

Propel-Auto_product_listing_gerber.jpg

30-000695 Propel Downrange Auto - Tan G-10 Handle, S30V Blade

opplanet-gerber-propel-downrange-auto-tan-g-10-handle-s30v-folding-knfe-30-000695.jpg

30-000380 Gerber 06 Auto - Tanto, G-10 Handles, Serrated - Box

06-Auto-Tanto-G-10-Handles-Serrated_product_listing_gerber.jpg

30-000137 Covert Auto - Serrated - Box

Covert-Auto-Serrated_product_listing_gerber.jpg

Mini Covert Auto, Serrated Edge - Box

Mini-Covert-Auto-Serrated-Edge_product_listing_gerber.jpg

30-000698 Propel AO - Black G-10 Handle, 420HC Blade

Propel-AO_product_listing_gerber.jpg

c Propel Downrange AO - Tan G-10 Handle, S30V Blade

Propel-Downrange-AO_product_listing_gerber.jpg

30-000642 Swagger AO

opplanet-gerber-swagger-drop-point-serrated-folding-clip-knife-clam-31-000594.jpg

More pictures:

30-000654 FAST Draw - Tanto

GE30-000654_full_88263.jpg

30-000641 Mini Swagger AO

GE30-000641_full_88254.jpg

30-000588 Multi-Plier 600-ST (Sight Tool), Black, Sheath - Box

30-000663 Bullrush Multi-Tool

GE31-001391_full_88355.jpg

22-01638 FliK Multi-Plier - Needlenose, Black - Box

22-01638.jpg

30-000598 Combat Fixed Blade Knife

CFB-Tanto-Serrated-Black_product_listing_gerber.jpg

22-01629 LMF II Infantry - Black - Box

22-01629.jpg

22-01121 Prodigy - Serrated - Box

GERBER-22-01121_01_mn.jpg

30-000650 Uppercut Knife

30-000528 De Facto Fixed Blade Knife

De-Facto-Knife_product_listing_gerber.jpg

I see that this package contains a number of auto knives, which I'll be able to sell only within the state (to civilians at least). What sort of interest do forum members have in auto knives?

Before we start "that" conversation again, you should be aware that auto knives are legal to have on your person as long as you have an "explainable lawful purpose."

Guys, you can go Sig direct for a 5 gun buy-in (excludes Mosquitos, maybe other lower end guns). Figure average cost on a P-series classic at appx $750 - that's $3750 and you have 5 primo guns for inventory. Sig is one of the easier companies with which you can go direct.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes, Auto open are a problem. Gerber #6 with tanto blade, how much?

$155 including shipping, plus tax. $147 for in-store or face-to-face cash/check transactions.

Guys, you can go Sig direct for a 5 gun buy-in (excludes Mosquitos, maybe other lower end guns). Figure average cost on a P-series classic at appx $750 - that's $3750 and you have 5 primo guns for inventory. Sig is one of the easier companies with which you can go direct.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That's not a bad buy-in. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd say pick up some Mosins. While not a huge profit-earner, they're pretty much a guaranteed impulse buy. A person comes in wants to buy something, but doesn't QUITE see what they want, they'll likely go home with one of those. Plus, at $150 they're an easier sell to most people, particularly the new wave of gun owners who have been applying for their FIDs.

Hell, for those new people, they'll want the ARs, SKSes, etc. If they can't find them, you can sell a Mosin, or other cheaper gun right then and there saying something like, "Better to have something than nothing, and you may as well get something to shoot now to get the fundamentals down." Or something.

Although, to be honest, right now anything you get you can probably sell if you can work the right pitch. But yeah, I've always liked milsurp stuff personally.

Glock 23, agree on some milsurp too..Mosins, Mausers...

+1 +1 +1 on milsurps. People will enjoy a large-caliber gun for cheap.