Polak

How do you store ammo? Safe/Cabinet?

If I was lucky enough to have the trouble you're having, I'd get a cheap cabinet for the ammo and save the room in the safe for more toys. The cabinets usually don't come with shelves, I'd need to make some our of plywood to do some organizing. That or a large chest. I just want some security for my ammo, but don't feel I need Fort Knox to store my lead.

not sure about others but i just keep mine in a ammo can on a shelve. no cabinet or safe.

That's not secure enough for me. I treat my ammo like my guns because if someone breaks in, I want them to have the hardest time trying to get to either the ammo or the weapons.

For me, I have little hands roaming around the house so I need to make sure I don't get any calls from the school on Show and Tell day. For security, I'd rather loose a saw blade than loose the saw, if you catch my drift. I'm with you on locking everything up. I got room so I keep them in my safe, but if I run out, a lower grade cabinet with a lock will be fine for me. All safes and cabinets are deterrents. If someone really wants to get in, they can.

Do what make you feel good at night. No one should tell you otherwise, unless it's illegal.

For me, I have little hands roaming around the house so I need to make sure I don't get any calls from the school on Show and Tell day. For security, I'd rather loose a saw blade than loose the saw, if you catch my drift. I'm with you on locking everything up. I got room so I keep them in my safe, but if I run out, a lower grade cabinet with a lock will be fine for me. All safes and cabinets are deterrents. If someone really wants to get in, they can.

Do what make you feel good at night. No one should tell you otherwise, unless it's illegal.

yea if you have kids you might want to lock it up or make it an area they are not allowed to go to. growing up i was always told you dont open that drawer in my dads night stand. and i never opened it. he also showed me what was there and i understood its not a toy so you dont go near it. Now i have an alarm on my whole house so if they get in to the house they must really want something not just a smash and grab. so if they really want it a safe or cabinet will not stop them, just make it take a few more minutes

Before it all sank in a tragic boating accident, I had too much to store in any sort of locked place. Its in a pile about 5' high, 18" deep and 10' long in my basement. Theres a few other smaller piles around but the main pile is in the basement because there were serious concerns when the wall started cracking under the floor

I always stored my ammo in the safe with the weapons. Then I realized 2 things:

1) it's the most expensive square footage I own.

2) in a fire, the popping primers and burning powders will be um, bad.

So I bought a cheap stack on cabinet and put in some locker shelves a company makes that can really hold some weight.

Then ran out of room. I picked up a commercial grade filing cabinet that locks for next to nothing from a company that was closing(too frequent, unfortunately) and it works great and holds the weight just fine.

Good luck!

Locked ammo can. That way I can just pick up and go when I want to go to the range.

The most harm that someone like a kid can do with ammo without a gun really is just carrying it to school or something, where you'll get a knock on your door from the detective for sure...