DSD1026

FFL Transfer Problem

OK, just want to let you know what happened today..

My wife purchased a Maverick 88 Shotgun online and had it transferred to Shore Shot for the FFL transfer (its the closest one to us). She has wanted to get one for a while now, and decided to bite the bullet and get it (no pun intended). She figured it would be "right" to have a nice small security shottie in the house in case we needed it. (Easy enough to understand). She has had her FPID for about 17 years..

We both went there last Saturday morning after grocery shopping (we go everywhere together) so she could fill out the NICS and transfer paperwork. We didnt have a problem when we went in there to foll this paperwork out.. We did not pay at the time she filled out the paperwork.

Got a call on Tuesday evening that the NICS was back and it was ready to pick up. No problem, we would go back this Saturday (today) to pick it up. So, as our usual Saturday morning ritual goes, we went grocery shopping and then headed over to Shore Shot to pick up the shotgun..

So..... We get to SS (at 10:30) and even they open at 10, the guy says they arent open yet because they had a delayed opening since there was no heat in the range.. He said to hand out for a few minutes as he had just gotten done shoveling.. OK, so we sat in the car for about 10 or 15 minutes and he finally called us in.. First off, he's in a pretty pissy mood because there's no heat and he's seemingly frustrated that we were there. So he asks what gun it is, and i tell him its a Maverick 88 shottie.. He's getting annoyed because he cant find it right away (and by right away, i mean it wasnt the first gun he saw in their pile of guns waiting to be picked up)...

Then he asks for the receipt (which we didnt get because we hadnt PAID for it yet). So we told him that. So, he's continuing to mutter under his breath about why we didnt have a receipt, but to be fair, he seemed annoyed with the fact that whoever it was that helped us last weekend didnt give us a receipt). So, he asks whose gun it is, and I say "hers" (pointing to my wife, standing right next to me). So then he gets very annoyed and says "we're not open until 12, come back then" (this is after he opened up the box). He goes on to start ranting that this sounds like a Straw Purchase because I referred to us as "we" or "our" as opposed to "her". I flat out asked him if it would have made a difference if I didnt come into the place with her, and he flat out said "yes". So my wife is all sorts of pissed off at this point, as we drove all the way down there to pick up the gun that she LEGALLY bought and LEGALLY transferred and LEGALLY filled out the paperwork for. His big issue is that I was there with her and since I dont have my FPID yet (as I have mentioned on here a couple times, it is currently in process, and I have all the paperwork to back that up including printing receipts and the forms from the PD in Howell). However, that is pretty irrelevant..

So... He is arguing back and forth with my wife (who has a short temper at times as well) and he says he isnt doing anything until after 12 when he has time to review the tape to see (not sure what?).. My wife is the one who filled out the paperwork last weekend while we were there and I was with her then because as I said earlier, we go everywhere together.. We have both shot at SS before, so its not like its the first time we've been there..

Now, I understand what a straw purchase is.. My wife, however had never even heard that term before, so after we left (in great anger, mind you), I explained to her what it was. Which is clearly not what's happening.. The only thing I have to do with any of this is the fact that I was with her when we went to SS both to fill out the paperwork and to pick it up.. Oh, and I guess the fact that she asked me to research for her which one I thought would be right for her before she ordered it is the other extent of my involvement. However, she purchased it, filled out the paperwork and went to pick it up..

Does this seem normal behavior? I get the firearm industry is in a bit of a tizzy these days and maybe he's just being overly cautious, but I dont know what he was trying to accomplish by not allowing her to pick up her legally obtained gun.. She can't learn all about the gun unless we HAVE it..

I dont know which guy it was, but i THINK it was Kyle.. (shorter, older guy who wears a hat, seen them in there the last couple times we went). Is this common? Conversely, if he refuses to allow us to pick it up, can (and should) we have it transferred to a different FFL? (If so, I assume she wouldnt have to go through another NICS check since it was just done this week?)

What do you guys think about this situation? We are going to call back a little after noon to see if he is going to allow us to pick up the gun. If he says yes, we will go, and she will go in alone this time.. If he says no, can we ask him to send it somewhere else?

She bought it online and had it shipped there to be transferred to her? How could she have a receipt showing she paid for it then? Certainly won't have a Shore Shot receipt then will she. Find a new FFL, no need to use that place. Plenty of others around. How far is Wall from you?

she has the receipt from the online purchase (in her name), but not the SS receipt for the transfer/nics payment since we (or should I asy SHE) hasnt paid for that yet (which is what she is trying to do)..

Wall is a bit further away (25 minutes) and SS is only about 12 minutes away, which is why we used them.. However, I dont think we will use them for FFL in the future.. are you referring to Ron @ Legacy in Wall? (saw him when originally doing my FFL search)

How is it a straw purchase if you are married. The gun is going to the home you both reside in I assume and how can they decide what is a straw purchase. Are they not charging you transfer fees to transfer the purchased firearm from the seller to the buyer (your wife) and running the NICS on your wife? Your presence is irrelevant to the transaction.

I drive about an hour South to use Ron, he is the best! Ok, he is a great guy, but he is in Florida for the winter (lucky him) so you wouldn't be able to use him right now anyway. But.... Keep him in mind if you need someone. I actually use a few so I know I can always do things when I need to (IE: Ron hiding for the winter!).

exactly my point.. we are married (and live together).. that was kind of what she was trying to argue with the guy when we were there.. she's calling them back now to try to find out if they are going to allow it or not..

ok, we just talked to the guy.. he is not willing to transfer it to my wife and not willing to transfer it to another FFL. he said we need to talk to the state police before he does anything....

what the f*ck

exactly my point.. we are married (and live together).. that was kind of what she was trying to argue with the guy when we were there.. she's calling them back now to try to find out if they are going to allow it or not..

ok, we just talked to the guy.. he is not willing to transfer it to my wife and not willing to transfer it to another FFL. he said we need to talk to the state police before he does anything....

what the f*ck

WTF is correct.

Tell them that you will file a civil rights suit against them because they are discriminating based on gender.

I'm only half kidding. Call the NJSP firearms unit (have your wife call) and explain what is going on. Hopefully they'll straighten it out. What nonsense. Once done - never set foot in there again.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Let members of the forum call and say that they won't be shopping there anymore because of the way this lady was treated. I don't go there, but I will call them and tie up their phone for a minute or two.

How rude were you to that rude man?

When that shotgun came into the shop, it should have had her name on it somewhere, designating that she was the purchaser. As long as she has her ID and FID she should be good. I could see them not wanting to sell it to her if your name was on the gun when it came in. I can also see them not wanting to sell it to her without her receipt to prove she owned and paid for it. I can see them jacking up the transfer price because you didn't buy it from them. When the gun was ordered was the FFL in the loop, or did you just have it sent there? Typically, my FFL faxes info to the seller on my behalf. To me it is part of the FFL fee (to actually do some work).

If you have a receipt or proof from where you purchased it from call the police and report SS for stealing it since they have it and won't transfer it out to your wife or another FFL.

Patriot - This is the husband again.. (sorry, didnt realize she was going to post using my account, but she's rightfully pissed off about this)

We were not rude until he brought up the straw purchase and that he starting muttering things under his breath about finding the gun and why we didnt have a receipt, etc. He was quite clearly in a pissy mood because we were there before the delayed opening (that we didnt know about).

The gun was purchased BY MY WIFE, in HER name, and we have the online receipt to prove that. She went into SS last weekend (with me alongside her) to fill out the paperwork for NICS/Transfer, and they happily accepted it then. My name was NOWHERE on the purchase or the receipt or paperwork anywhere. It was all completed by her and her alone. SS was "in the loop" because we had to call there to ask them to fax the FFL info to the online place she bought it from, so it was not simply shipped to SS blindly. We knew the FFL cost and NICS cost ahead of time, so that was not an issue.

It was simply the fact that I was with her at the time it was being picked up and when he asked what it was, I answered that "we" are here to pick up the Maverick 88 Shotgun that we were called about on Tuesday evening after the NICS came back (in HER name and her name alone)

I find it disappointing that they would pull that simply because we happen to go everywhere together and that I happened to answer him when he asked what we were picking up, and I happened to say that "we were there to pick up ....." (considering the fact that "we" were both there, it seemed simple enough)

YOU need to contact the state police before they do. And, call the local police for their area as well. Whose name was on the shotgun when the order came into the store?

If you have a receipt or proof from where you purchased it from call the police and report SS for stealing it since they have it and won't transfer it out to your wife or another FFL.

well, is the NJSP tells them its OK to transfer it to my wife, then it wont be stealing.. but i guess the NJSP is going to have to be my wife's next call to explain the situation to them and hopefully get this straightened out..

if we ever get this resolved, then that will most likely be the last dealing with them that we have. Which is too bad, because we were thinking about getting memberships there. they are the closest range to us.. (again, note, I am in process of getting my own FPID and two P2P's, which should be completed in the next couple weeks).

This is crazy. I would explain to them that you are involved on several gun forums and will post this and urge people to vote with their money and go elsewhere.

This sounds like the crap some liquor stores do. They have signs up that they will not sell to you if anyone in your group is under 21. No I understand they do this to protect themselves when a group of kids say 19 to 23 come in together. But some won't serve you when you come in with your 15 year old, and others won't serve you when you come in with your baby. This is just another case of taking laws to stupid extremes.

Well, if you don't have an FID card, you couldn't possibly have been the one to initiate the NICs last week.

This is crazy. I would explain to them that you are involved on several gun forums and will post this and urge people to vote with their money and go elsewhere.

This sounds like the crap some liquor stores do. They have signs up that they will not sell to you if anyone in your group is under 21. No I understand they do this to protect themselves when a group of kids say 19 to 23 come in together. But some won't serve you when you come in with your 15 year old, and others won't serve you when you come in with your baby. This is just another case of taking laws to stupid extremes.

Let some of our members call them.

i really dont want to have to go down that route just yet... i hate name dropping (so to speak) if it can be resolved without that.. but the thought had crossed my mind..