Sign in to follow this  
Jcddefreese

Are conceal carry permits gun specific?

I have been looking those UT/FL conceal carry permitting courses. I know some state require you take a course with a live fire component. My question is, are conceal carry permits gun specific? Are you limited to carrying a specific gun?

Thanks for the help!

Just for the record. NJ civilian "carry" permits ARE gun, serial number, caliber specific.

If NJ could add even more 'specificity', you certainly know they would, down to urine, blood and iris scan samples.

I have yet to come across a NJ civilian with a carry permit! If such a fabled being exists, I would like to brush shoulders in hope of finding good fortune! :lol:

Just FYI,

In Nevada the CCW are model specific to semi-autos.

For revolvers you only need to qualify for one and it will be valid for all revolvers.

You can add as many guns to your CCW as your want, I believe it is $45 to add an additional semi-auto once you have your initial CCW.

I know this doesn't effect us in NJ, but I figured I'd chime in with whatever knowledge I could bring to the table.... Just Incase sometime plans to defect to NV... ;)

Just FYI,

In Nevada the CCW are model specific to semi-autos.

For revolvers you only need to qualify for one and it will be valid for all revolvers.

You can add as many guns to your CCW as your want, I believe it is $45 to add an additional semi-auto once you have your initial CCW.

I know this doesn't effect us in NJ, but I figured I'd chime in with whatever knowledge I could bring to the table.... Just Incase sometime plans to defect to NV... ;)

Since Orange is chiming in, I can for California. Unlike NJ, it is actually possible to get concealed carry permits in the other most stringent gun control state! Amongst other things, you must register the gun(s) you will carry, qualify with it(them), pass a psych eval, etc. Concealed carry laws in California are burdensome because it's county by county and then major cities have their own thing too. I lived in Monterey for 17 months with a project and got my permit. Was able to jump through all the hoops and have permit in hand in 5 weeks. Shame about Cali is that the Bay Area and LA stigmas are applied to the whole state when in reality the rest of the state and its people are very different IME!

make sure you take a picture of that fabled being because no one is going to believe you :-)

That CCW being in NJ is keeping company with Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, and the Abominable Snowman. They vacation with the Easter Bunny, and accompany Santa Claus on his deliveries.

Just for the record. NJ civilian "carry" permits ARE gun, serial number, caliber specific.

If NJ could add even more 'specificity', you certainly know they would, down to urine, blood and iris scan samples.

I don't know about year 2013 but, when I had a NJ civilian CCW the application did ask for specific firearm information. But the permit did not require you to carry that firearm. As a matter of fact the local COP insisted that I carry a pistol other than that which was listed on the permit. Just sayin'

He is correct and they are specific. I've had several and you can carry more than any one type as long as you list and qualify with each one. They will list them on the back of the card as well... Or at least what they can fit. I've only listed my primary and secondary which were enough for me.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Only in a few shitty states like NY and Texas. Seems like something in NJ as well from what was posted ^above, but I don't waste my time looking into NJ CC permit rules.

NV also requires it. In fact they require that you live fire at a facility in the state.

Whatever you do, don't do it through LVPD. You will be waiting a while.

NV also requires it. In fact they require that you live fire at a facility in the state.

Whatever you do, don't do it through LVPD. You will be waiting a while.

NV is kind of weird. Fortunately, I carry there on an AZ permit and gun-specific stuff does not apply to me. Because I am from outside of the state. Pretty silly and ironic. A lot like how if you apply for a Mass permit you get an unrestricted carry permit. But when a Mass resident does, they probably won't get and unrestricted permit (Class A vs. B or something) until their first permit comes up for renewal unless they pay a lawyer to help them with their first permit.