msg73

ammo + fire = deadly???

Only if the weapon is secured somehow. Without the frame being securely fastened, the gun would jam on the first shot(think, weak-wristing).

On a handgun this may be true, but a rifle or shotgun might fire off every round. That's if the rounds in the magazine haven't already cooked off.

I don't blame firefighters from not going in.

It's very unlikely that any ammo it any type of can will be an issue. Not all cartridges in a ammo box are going to cook off at the same time. A thousand little Piffszt will not cause a can to explode. If the can is airtight, after 1 or 2 cook offs, there will be no air in the box to allow any more cook offs.

You don't need air in the box for the rounds to cook off. All smokeless powders and black powder are self-oxidizing.

Any semi-auto stands the risk of firing every round in its magazine and those rounds can/will cause serious damage.

is this statement true? I didn't watch the whole vid...

Only in a magical world where the one in the chamber gets hot enough to cook off while the ones in the magazine do not. Keep in mind the one in the chamber has the barrel as a heat sink too. Once the rounds in the mag have heated enough to unseat the bullet your odds of feeding another round are slim to none because you wedged the follower with stuck ammo. That's on top of the gun not having enough resistance to cycle properly.

As for storage, loose cooks off. Ammo boxes cook off. Ammo can's are designed to have the seal fail under high temps so at least gas pressure doesn't build up. They either contain the cook off, or they cook off. Putting ammo in your safe can be bad. Safes with any kind of meaningful fire rating have a heat activated seal on the door. So you can have ammo cooking off generating gas and have it all sealed in. With ammo I don't know if you can get to a dangerous situation as the seal may fail and the pressure spike may not be rapid enough to be a hazard before then. Storing powder in your safe is definitely a hazard as it will make a lot of gas REALLY fast once you hit the magic temp.

Putting ammo in your safe can be bad. Safes with any kind of meaningful fire rating have a heat activated seal on the door. So you can have ammo cooking off generating gas and have it all sealed in. With ammo I don't know if you can get to a dangerous situation as the seal may fail and the pressure spike may not be rapid enough to be a hazard before then. Storing powder in your safe is definitely a hazard as it will make a lot of gas REALLY fast once you hit the magic temp.

My thoughts with safes are that those that are of any quality will have at least a 1/2 - 1 hour fire rating. 1/2 to 1 hour is a long time for an average single family structure fire to burn with no attack.

For peace of mind keep them in a metal ammo can. Although with the cost of ammo right now I'm ready to take out the guns and put the ammo in. :D

Yeahh...NO.................... ABSOLUTELY EFFING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ammunition isnt so dangerous in a fire because it isnt CONTAINED, the energy from the burning propellant pops the casings,,makes a little noise..Once you CONTAIN that in an ammo can you've just made yourself a handy-dandy little frag bomb. the military uses cans because that is the most efficient way to contain and transport BELTED ammunition, regular ammo is in wooden/cardboard crates for a reason. if your looking for "Peace of Mind" fire-wise, wood is best.

Yeahh...NO.................... ABSOLUTELY EFFING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ammunition isnt so dangerous in a fire because it isnt CONTAINED, the energy from the burning propellant pops the casings,,makes a little noise..Once you CONTAIN that in an ammo can you've just made yourself a handy-dandy little frag bomb.

I still agree with my original assertion that catastrophic failure of an ammo can filled with ammo would be HIGHLY unlikely. You will not get synchronized casing failure all at once within the can. Simultaneous ignition would lead to case deformation and subsequent venting once the container is compromised thus eliminating the frag bomb theory. An ammo can is fine for your munitions.

No worries. It will scare the cops and firemen a little bit but lacks the pressure build up to propel the bullet at a deadly velocity.

He can always drop the extra ammo at my house to hold for him. I swear, I won't use it. I swear.