MartyZ

Going to NJSP for P2P instead of local PD

I have a question, can I go to the NJSP for P2P if going to my local PD (Manalapan PD) is extremely inconvenient? The reason I ask is that in the past, the permit hours were alway 4pm to 7pm every tuesday and thursday. Now they changed it to 9am to 12pm, one day a month and you have to call them on monday of every week to check if they are doing it that week. I work 60 miles from home that means that I have to take at least 3 days off for the entire permit process and it will take me about 4 months to get the permit. For instance, pick up applications in Feb, drop off applications in March and then wait 2 months to pick up permit. I have a few friends that have gone thru this process and it is a major PITA.

I just called manalapan PD, they have since changed their policy to once a week. But I still have to call on monday to get that weeks schedule and it's still 9am to 12pm. That means I still have to take 3 days off from work. Is there a NJSP requirement that local PD have evening hours for permits or no? If not, then calling NJSP is useles

Yeah i don't think NJSP is all that much "better."

I had to call multiple times to get the sergeant on the phone to make an appointment. Monday to Friday 8AM to 1PM.

The trooper taking my app forgot to give me the fingerprint form. I had to ask for it.

Took 2 months to get FID and PtP. I'm sure it's worse now.

My friend in West Caldwell said it took him 30 days and it was much easier.

I have friends that are stuck with the NJSP for firearms issues. They seem to suck about the worst. You are probably going to have to take sevral days off to get it done with them too if they would even do it. You may just have to deal with manalapan. I wish I could tell you something positive but there is nothing there.

Ken

Wait, so you just can't stroll in and get your application, drop it off at your convenience and pick it up as long as there is someone who is a clerk in the building??? That blows!! As much as I complain about the process your town makes the some other towns look like a walk in the park

Perhaps take your issue to NJ2AS? They seem to be the route people are led to when they find the permit app time has gone on too long. Worst case, call or write your mayor and councilmen stating the hurdles that manalapan pd is setting up for a law abiding voting resident to exercise their rights.

Perhaps take your issue to NJ2AS? They seem to be the route people are led to when they find the permit app time has gone on too long. Worst case, Do this first - call or write your mayor and councilmen stating the hurdles that manalapan pd is setting up for a law abiding voting resident to exercise their rights.

Complaining to the mayor should be the first thing you should do, there is no reason a clerk or another officer can't take your application and give it to the officer who is doing the investigation.

I did that last time, when I came in to give them my forms they gave me 3 more forms to fill out. They asked me to fill out an employment verification release form and a credit history release form.

I would contact the local 2A organizations (NJ2AS, ANJRPC). Credit history? They are not supposed to ask for this. It's not like you're applying for top secret clearance. It's just a lousy firearms ID card for crying out loud. Not only is it an unnecessary burden but it's ripe for identity theft. I know it's the police and all but I hesitate giving out my info to anybody.

It has been a while since my last P2P application, and I don't want to create unneccasary waves, so I just sent the chief the following email. We will see how he responds.

Chief Marsala, I would like to submit an application for 2 pistol purchase permits, Last time I did this was about 4 years ago and I would like to know if the procedures have changed. Can you please give me information on the following:

1) Days and hours when I can come in to submit the application?

2) What forms I need to complete?

3) Can I download these forms or do I have to pick them up during the hours specified in question 1?

4) Last time I had an issue with employment verification because my employer used a third party organization to provide this service and the Manalapan PD was not a paying subscriber. Does the Manalapan PD still need this information or would my employee ID suffice?

I really do appreciate all your help.

Sincerely;