Metalflames

FTF SALE WHERE TO MEET?

I have am looking to purchase a gun from someone of Armslist. He asked were we could meet between the 2 towns. Im not sure how to go about this being it would be my first FTF sale. Obviously I don't want to meet the guy in a parking lot. Should we meet at a police station or range if feasible?

In the last month I have met people at gun shop parking lots, parkway rest stops, home depot parking lot, my work parking lot. What your doing it legal so unless you plan on doing a full inspection of the firearm and taking it out of the case and or trunk then you are fine doing it where ever.

I would stay away from the Local PD, I find that most local officers do NOT know the nj state gun laws and

may mistake your legal transaction for something else.

Handgun: You should meet at a range or one of your homes, otherwise you're stretching the envelope of legality.

Long guns: I've actually done this in a parking lot, though I definitely can appreciate your hesitance. Maybe at a range, at least to avoid the funny looks (or worse in this climate.)

This is my opinion, I am neither a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Cryan's house....lol

Range is ideal, especially if you are going to inspect the gun.

If you can do it from the trunk of your car without pulling the damn thing out and waving it around, sure, why not. I'd still hate to have 5-0 roll up while your in the middle of doing it in a public place.

Range, rest stop, parking lot. It's a legal transaction involving a legal product. Just be discreet about it or the call in will be "two guys with an arsenal"

Wouldn't it be illegal to remove the firearm from the trunk for the purposes of placing it in another trunk? The moment it's removed, you're technically in violation of the law?

Wouldn't it be illegal to remove the firearm from the trunk for the purposes of placing it in another trunk? The moment it's removed, you're technically in violation of the law?

As long as both people are in possession of valid FPID cards, with a long gun, they are allowed to transport the firearm. As far as I am aware, this would include openly walking down the street with the gun or transporting the rifle in the trunk all the time. Not that doing so is necessarily smart, but should be legal. Police that would get called for a "crazy guy with an assault gun walking through my neighborhood where my kids live!!!!!" might not know the law allows for openly transporting a long gun, or might arrest you for something else if they want to sort it out later, so I'd be hesitant to actually open carry. However, taking possession of a legal to own item shouldn't get you into trouble... (of course, this is NJ...)

Just don't go to the local school parking lot.... :rolleyes:

Also, IANAL...my advice is worth what you paid for it....

As long as both people are in possession of valid FPID cards, with a long gun, they are allowed to transport the firearm. As far as I am aware, this would include openly walking down the street with the gun or transporting the rifle in the trunk all the time. Not that doing so is necessarily smart, but should be legal. Police that would get called for a "crazy guy with an assault gun walking through my neighborhood where my kids live!!!!!" might not know the law allows for openly transporting a long gun, or might arrest you for something else if they want to sort it out later, so I'd be hesitant to actually open carry. However, taking possession of a legal to own item shouldn't get you into trouble... (of course, this is NJ...)

Just don't go to the local school parking lot.... :rolleyes:

Also, IANAL...my advice is worth what you paid for it....

There's no open carry of long guns in NJ. So technically removing the long gun from the trunk would IMHO be illegal unless it were done on your property or at a range. Of course I could be wrong.. (still waiting on my FPID)

There's no open carry of long guns in NJ. So technically removing the long gun from the trunk would IMHO be illegal unless it were done on your property or at a range. Of course I could be wrong.. (still waiting on my FPID)

By that logic you would be breaking the law when leavig Dicks with a rifle while walking through the parkig lot?

We are not talking walkig around with it slug over your shoulder loaded. Moving it cased from one trunk to

the next is not illegal as long as the buyer and seller are legal to own/transfer the firearm.

By that logic you would be breaking the law when leavig Dicks with a rifle while walking through the parkig lot?

We are not talking walkig around with it slug over your shoulder loaded. Moving it cased from one trunk to

the next is not illegal as long as the buyer and seller are legal to own/transfer the firearm.

I hear ya. Guess I'm just paranoid with all these NJ laws designed to entrap and ensnare legal gun owners.

If you have an FID card you can legally carry any legal long gun, as long as it is unloaded, anywhere that it isn't specifically exempted (schools, government buildings, etc). Guaranteed you'll get at least harassed if not arrested for something in most areas, but the act of carrying a an unloaded long gun is legal if you have an FID card.

If you have an FID card you can legally carry any legal long gun, as long as it is unloaded, anywhere that it isn't specifically exempted (schools, government buildings, etc). Guaranteed you'll get at least harassed if not arrested for something in most areas, but the act of carrying a an unloaded long gun is legal if you have an FID card.

Wow.. Thanks I did not know that.

+1, just be discrete with long guns. Handguns, definitely at a shop/range/home

If you made the exchange in a parking lot say Home Depot and the law say you, would they try and get you on deviation? I would imagine it would greatly depend on the area and circumstances of the situation.

It's safe to say if the law see's a gun no matter what they will intervene. With a long gun you can cite the law which allows for long gun carry(unloaded), let the LEO decided what to do, at least you can get the case thrown out. Handguns, if charged, your gonna be screwed, literally no legal defense.

If you made the exchange in a parking lot say Home Depot and the law say you, would they try and get you on deviation? I would imagine it would greatly depend on the area and circumstances of the situation.

I suppose they could charge you with "disturbing the peace" or something similar. It's always best to meet at a range or somewhere else that's discreet.