david8613

certified used luxury car advice?

Hyundai!! Cheap, good looking, fast, and warranty is for 10 year or 100k.

Genesis!!

I did drive a new Sonata from Orlando to Philly. Nice car, got great gas mileage....

Drover another from enterprise with like 35k miles on it... fawking rattle trap.... I thought the car was going to give out on me. always rent Hertz. =P newer cars.

As an "insider" in the industry I will say one thing; a Certified Pre-Owned car, any brand, just means you have an extended warranty. The advertising folks would lead to believe that only the "best of the best" can become CPO, not true. SO if you're looking at CPO cars you still need to do your due diligence like you would with any used car. Ask for the CarFax but CarFax is not Gospel either. Lots of things that happen to a car never make it on the CarFax.

My $.02

The extra price for hybrids is usually a waste of money...... If you actually break it down.... And far crappier drive.... And the fact that it is usually even worse for environment as parts sourced world wide.

I'm not sure taxi drivers would be attracted to the Prius if it didn't make economic sense at some spot on the depreciation curve. Probably not bought new, though.

My problem with hybrids is that I have enough trouble in NJ traffic without driving with my eyes closed. That, and I wouldn't know what to do with my left foot.

101093-south-park-smug-alert-episode-screencap-10x2.jpg

I'm getting too old and impatient to waste time in dealer service departments, no matter how nice and comfortable my BMW dealer's customer waiting area is. (It has a cappuccino machine, leather chairs, work areas and internet access.)

That means Japanese -- or Japanese-American. I'll still probably keep something German that's pre-OBD II/pre-1996 to play around with.

I'm not sure taxi drivers would be attracted to the Prius if it didn't make economic sense at some spot on the depreciation curve. Probably not bought new, though.

My problem with hybrids is that I have enough trouble in NJ traffic without driving with my eyes closed. That, and I wouldn't know what to do with my left foot.

101093-south-park-smug-alert-episode-screencap-10x2.jpg

I'm getting too old and impatient to waste time in dealer service departments, no matter how nice and comfortable my BMW dealer's customer waiting area is. (It has a cappuccino machine, leather chairs, work areas and internet access.)

That means Japanese -- or Japanese-American. I'll still probably keep something German that's pre-OBD II/pre-1996 to play around with.

You are absolutely right... there is a depreciation point, but for most folks on new cars it is over 85k miles or so... then factor in the battery replacements and all..

If you want to save money.... get a diesel. no stupid batteries, not gutless, will go on for 300k =)

No, I've only been in the "Audi world" for a year and a half. I was at a Toyota dealer for 10 years before.

If you ever get a chance talk to him. He does photo work for the NHRA also was one of the many photographers at the Shakedown @ Etown last year, he's a great guy.

As an "insider" in the industry I will say one thing; a Certified Pre-Owned car, any brand, just means you have an extended warranty. The advertising folks would lead to believe that only the "best of the best" can become CPO, not true. SO if you're looking at CPO cars you still need to do your due diligence like you would with any used car. Ask for the CarFax but CarFax is not Gospel either. Lots of things that happen to a car never make it on the CarFax.

My $.02

Agreed, I have 21 years in the auto business and CPO can be a real joke DEPENDING on the Dealership. I worked for a Ford dealer once where the CPO check consisted of an oil change and checking the tire psi and putting the car back out on the lot. Techs would log 1.6 for the CPO check and be done in .5 The reason they did it was the used car manager was a real pos and didn't want to hear a thing about the cars needed anything. So after a while techs just said to heck with it signed off on the sheet and out they went.

I have 11 caddy cts. Pretty much sits as a weekend car.

I drive a 12 accord for daily stuff since I do a lot of driving but after seeing the new 13 accord, it "might" be nicer than my cts. I'm definitely pushing to get the new accord.

I don't care about the greenie stuff. I care about using HOV lanes solo and getting toll discounts.

Don't know about crappier ride, the civic and accord seems to ride just fine. In fact the Accord hybrid tends to have more power from a dead stop because of the electric motor assist.

I will say my hybrid has a very smooth and quiet ride.. reminds me of my father in laws LS460's smooth quiet ride. Battery pack balances and weighs the vehicle down and in cruising mode, the car is all electric, no motor noise at all which makes it feel very nice to cruise in. :)