70gto

Glock 26 vs 27?

Thought I would beat this horse a little more. Tomorrow morning im going to purchase either a glock 26 or 27. My logic is all over the place on this one. I never liked the 27 40 cal recoil in that little gun, but I can appreciate that I can change the caliber to a 9mm (essentially the 26). 2 guns in one, I cant switch with the 26. So either way they will be a 9mm gun either by factory or by conversion barrel.

I do stock 40 and 9mm cal ammo for my other guns anyway, so the question is, glock 27- 2 for one gun or dedicated 9mm in the 26. If anyone has ever done the conversion, is there any issues with reliability, does the extractor and spring also have to be changed? Anything else im not seeing. Sorry I know it sounds like baby stuff but I hate buying stuff twice.

Thanks in advance.

I am a firm believer in a 9mm in a sub compact. You control for follow up shots is better as is the recoil. No handgun is a good stopper and the one shot stop stuff is just statistics. You can expect to shoot someone several times unless you are planning on shooting once, stopping to take a look and then shoot again, stop and look again, etc.. In real life you shoot as fast as you can until the threat is gone. With the right ammo a 9mm is up to the task. BTW, if you get the 26 try the DPX 95 gr. ammo. It is designed to mimic the 115 DPX ammo out of a short barrel. All copper bullet gives you those nice long and sharp petals and the design of the bullet for short barrels ensures expansion and the all copper bullet gives you penetration through barriers. Sure you can deal with the .40 out of the 27 but you will not shoot it faster than the 26. One thing I learned in combat is to fire fast and often and being able to use light and low recoiling ammo is a big plus in putting them on target as quickly as possible.

I have a 27. That being said, get the 9mm.

I am issued and mandated to carry a G22 on duty. I bought and carry the 27 as a backup so I can use the 22 mags in it in a pinch.

In that size gun, 9mm is the way to go. I am faster and more accurate managing the 9mm recoil than that snappy .40.

If it wasn't a backup to a .40 I would carry the G26 and never look back.

The recoil isn't that bad in the 27. I've shot cage fighters gun and it was fun. After 150 rounds, that was another story.

I have a 26 a d like it. Is probable go for the 27 to swap barrels.

Not to throw you off, but did you also do a comparison between the MP Shield vs the Glock 26? If you use the glock extensions, the G26 gives you a 5 round advantage. I think the dimensions are about the same, with the shield being just a tad thinner. I am also favoring the g26.

Any thoughts?

I carry a Glock 27 every day.. I shoot with it often.... its sucky... the recoil is difficult to control in such a small frame poly gun... but I made the decision to trust 40S&W over 9mm a long time ago... I just wanted a larger heavier round without loosing capacity so 40 it was... sometimes I wish I had gone 9mm.. but at this point im in it.. so whatever..

you should really shoot both of these guns to figure it out.. if you can handle the 40 no problem.. then go with that.. if not maybe the 9mm would be better.. its all personal preference..

An aftermarket conversion barrel is what you are looking for.

While it is possible to fit a Glock OEM 9mm barrel (or aftermarket 9mm barrel made to match the OEM dimensions) in a .40/.357 Glock (keep in mind that a .40 Glock barrel will not fit into a 9mm) and get the gun to run, it is not reccomended.

Even though the OEM 9mm barrel fits, you can actually run into some issues as the standard 9mm barrel has a thinner outside diameter than the Glock OEM .40 barrel. The "chamber" area of the OEM 9mm barrel where it locks into the slide is also smaller. This difference in dimensions can cause lockup/battery issues as well as create some serious accuracy problems from the inconsistant lock-up. The fact that you can't put a .40 barrel in a 9mm will demonstrate the differences in tolerences between the two.

Also if you look at the ejector on a 9mm glock, you will see that it is bent in towards the center of the barrel due to the narrower case dimension of the 9mm vs the .40. This bend allows the ejector to properly strike the 9mm case during ejection. The ejector for a .40 cal Glock is straight. This can cause the .40 ejector to strike the fired 9mm case in a less than optimal position or on occasion miss it completely causing some tap/rack headaches.

Finally, the face of the breech is slightly larger on the .40 allowing the 9mm some "wiggle room" when chambering, firing, extracting, and ejecting. The extractor, extractor spring and bearing are also different, which when coupled with the above ejector issues can lead to malfunctions.

While you may get away with just dropping a 9mm barrel into a .40 slide and blasting away, eventually you are going to run into issues.

The best fix to reliably and accurately fire 9mm in your .40 Glock is to swap the ejectors in the frame and put a complete 9mm slide on the .40 frame.

The second best way to accomplish this is to use a conversion barrel.

If you are interested in going the conversion barrel route, Lonewolf Dist. does make a good 9mm conversion barrel at a good price, as does KKM at a slightly higher price. I have had no problems with LW or KKM barrels and they seem to resolve most of the above issues. Both have been dead nuts reliable and accurate in my G23 (LWD) and G35 (KKM). However, I do not trust the conversion barrels for anything other than a range gun, and definitely not for self defense/home defense use.

Get the 40 and a LWD 9mm barrel. In NJ you need options for every gun you own. Consider reloading. Then you can create any type of 9 or 40 you want. Step that 40 down to a soft shooter and your GTG. 40 brass will always be available on the market as long as LEO's keep using it. You can side step into 357Sig with an aftermarket barrel also. 22LR conversion top and your up to 4 calibers with a gun that has tons of aftermarket parts.

i"ll tell you what my friend has a 27 and everytime we would shoot i would roll my eyes at that gun when i walked past because i didnt like it and it didnt like me! well as of late we have been coming to get along and coincide civilly together almost like a made for tv movie ;)

it would have to be a tough call and i may just go with the 27 and swap to a 9mm barrel if i just couldnt stand it...

i am a firm believer of any caliber is better than no caliber but after dude ate dudes face off in miami 9mm just dosnt seem like a "get the job done" round anymore...

10mm is where its at ;)

Good choice with the 26. I rented a 27 and couldn't go through a half box of ammo till I sent it back.

It's just too small of frame for a 40sw. It's not impossible to control, but it's not pleasant. The 26 on

the other hand you can shoot all day. The only difference between my 26 and the 34 is that the 34

has faster follow up shots. Accuracy I am actually about the same. That says a lot for such a small

pistol.