Kevin Mc

The other side of permit delay and gun control, silver lining?

Hi All,

Being an optimist I often look for the good in certain situations that, on the surface, are negative and frustrating. This is not a thread to complain about delays and gun control…..we have plenty of those.

As a first time applicant for my FID card in Essex County the irony of everything that is going on with permit delays and gun control in general cannot be overstated….here is my perspective:

Hurricane Sandy (the same storm that effectively shut down 2a rights in Essex County) finally compelled me, along with my wife, to get serious about our FID cards, firearms training, skills and ownership. Having been around and using rifles and shot guns as a kid and using an air gun almost daily as a youth (in my backyard and woods in Essex County no less) I was no stranger to the whole notion of gun ownership.

However, what I and others have gone through in NJ has certainly opened my eyes to the reality of political agendas and how they will impact my family. The reality is that growing up in NJ gun ownership was not on my radar and certainly not viewed as a “right”. How could it be if permits and background checks were needed? This was a privilege for the people that “needed” firearms….in my mind anyway. I think this is the real agenda at play; “they” don’t want us to have guns for whatever reason so they take a right and make it a privilege and hope we forget about it.

Ultimately all of these delays have sparked MANY conversations with gun and non-gun owners in my town; at school, birthday parties, etc. This is making MANY more people aware of their 2nd amendment rights and exercising/protecting those rights. I have met lots of gun owners and gun owners to be, who are/will be acquiring “collections” of firearms and are now deeply committed to preserving our 2a rights.

I strongly feel that at the end of the day the more they push for control, the more “regular” people wake up and take notice. At least me, my wife and our children will understand and exercise our 2a rights.

Thanks for your time and see you at the range.

Kevin

Interesting perspective and valid point -- hence the rise in gun purchases and NRA membership. I for one, joined NJ2AS recently, for some of the reasons you mentioned. Yet the unconstitutional anti-gun political agenda marches on, unabated. The while the left goes on offense, the right just plays defense. Maybe the way to change the discourse is for politicians on our side of the issue to go on offense -- make widespread CCW a viable 'gun control' solution instead of further limiting our fundamental rights

I wonder how many people have applied or are in the process of applying for FID's in NJ? Obviously the are many, but just how many? Hundreds, thousands, 10's of thousands. I know in my town last year there were 650. This year in January and February that number has almost been met already. I can olny image nationwide the numbers have to be astounding. When do we no longer become the minority?

I am in the same boat as you. I have always been pro 2A, but never got around to getting my FID and permits. Sandy changed that.

Since then, I have joined NJ2AS, gotten very serious about firearms and training and have been active in the fight for our rights.

My GF was borderline anti until after Sandy. She also is now a firearm owner and active participant in the fight.

I wonder how many people have applied or are in the process of applying for FID's in NJ? Obviously the are many, but just how many? Hundreds, thousands, 10's of thousands. I know in my town last year there were 650. This year in January and February that number has almost been met already. I can olny image nationwide the numbers have to be astounding. When do we no longer become the minority?

Jersey City has processed over 200 applications in Jan and Feb. That is a five fold increase, I was told.

Although I am not a new gun owner, I haven't shot a gun in probably 10 - 15 years. I own a few guns and used to shoot almost daily when I was younger.

After Sandy and seeing how a critical mass of liberals are trying to capitalize on the emotion of a truly horrific act I felt like I had to do something. So, I re-joined the NRA, and the NJ2AS and have been (for the first time ever) writing, calling, faxing (even bought a home fax machine) and emailing all of our elected officials letting them know where I stand, who I will support financially and with my vote. I am also taking every chance to explain the the truth, as best as I can based on facts and data.

Being a research scientist and professor at a local college I have the ability to analyze data very quickly, very accurately and provide a summary that is easily understood. I have been doing this every opportunity I get.

And, I think there are many like me, those who either have guns or have had guns and thoroughly enjoyed them but due to life's demands have gotten away from shooting or hunting and are just now seeing how important it is to assert ourselves. Let's hope this is the case and it is even farther reaching than we can imagine.

Well I am am sort of in the same boat. I shot .22 bolt action rifles as a kid at summer camp, but had not touched a weapon in something like 40 years. I started thinking about it during super storm Sandy when I saw all the looting. Finally pulled the trigger after Sandy Hook. I think anytime there is fear of something being taken away it makes you want it more. In my town they are having trouble keeping up with permits. The woman that handles them told me that the rate it is going she thinks almost every single home will have a gun by year-end.

I have been a firearms owner since 2009. When i got started, I could honestly care less about bans on assault weapons and high capacity mags, as I own neither. I could have been considered a "fudd" because I like to hunt and target shoot and only really owned shotguns and .22s.

But sandy hook changed everything. Watching the gun grabber liberals try to shamelessly take advantage of people's outrage to try to push their extremist agenda through has hardened my stance toward firearm restriction. Give these people an inch and they try to take a mile.

So you can add my name to the list of former casual 2a supporters, fudds, etc. who have now been converted to steadfast, enthusiastic supporters of gun rights.

Well I am am sort of in the same boat. I shot .22 bolt action rifles as a kid at summer camp, but had not touched a weapon in something like 40 years. I started thinking about it during super storm Sandy when I saw all the looting. Finally pulled the trigger after Sandy Hook. I think anytime there is fear of something being taken away it makes you want it more. In my town they are having trouble keeping up with permits. The woman that handles them told me that the rate it is going she thinks almost every single home will have a gun by year-end.

Now we have to make sure all of these new gun owners exercise their right to vote and start voting out some of these liberals at the state level.

I applied for and received my FID in April /2006. I bought a Glock 19 and put it and my FID in my Safe. As soon as Sandy Hook happened I realized this was going to happen. I have since bought a Mossberg 500, and a Kriss Vector. It took me 3 weeks to get the permit detective on the phone just to make an appointment. The closest appointment was 3 weeks away so 6 weeks just to spend 2 minutes handing in my application. Its been 2 months since I submitted the 2 P2P.

I applied for and received my FID in April /2006. I bought a Glock 19 and put it and my FID in my Safe. As soon as Sandy Hook happened I realized this was going to happen. I have since bought a Mossberg 500, and a Kriss Vector. It took me 3 weeks to get the permit detective on the phone just to make an appointment. The closest appointment was 3 weeks away so 6 weeks just to spend 2 minutes handing in my application. Its been 2 months since I submitted the 2 P2P.

I submitted my FID change of address paperwork in early December, spoke with the NJSP yesterday and they told me it wouldn't be ready for another 2 or 3 months!

Interesting perspective and valid point -- hence the rise in gun purchases and NRA membership. I for one, joined NJ2AS recently, for some of the reasons you mentioned. Yet the unconstitutional anti-gun political agenda marches on, unabated. The while the left goes on offense, the right just plays defense. Maybe the way to change the discourse is for politicians on our side of the issue to go on offense -- make widespread CCW a viable 'gun control' solution instead of further limiting our fundamental rights

I couldn't you agree with you more. We need to get the legislators on our side to be more aggressive. They don't need to to use the term guns as much as they need to use the word 'rights'. We're more likely to 'pull' people to our side by using the word 'rights' over and over. IMHO, it's very important to draw the 'silent' people into this. Last night at the NJ2AS meeting, in Winslow Township, there was a discussion about meetings with New Jersey Legislators. They mentioned that at one meeting the legislator (Sen. Weinberg, I believe) made a comment "why should I let you do that". Really?!! She feels that she has a 'right' to let us do something? It's not that way. We have the rights. They need to hear that it's our 'right' all the time. It has to ring in their ears all day long. I know it won't be easy. However, if we could get a beseige them with a constant and never ending barage of 'rights' issues, it has to have some effect. We can do some of it and it's obvious that organizations like the NJ2AS and NJRPC are working on that. Still, until we can get some of the people who sit with the Weinbergs, Greenwalds, Sweeneys, Mainors, Cryans, et al on a regular basis, we're peddling the bike uphill.

I was told by my FFL that Trenton has well over 20,000 applications to process. Now that isn't all FID's that also includes Pistol permits

I couldn't you agree with you more. We need to get the legislators on our side to be more aggressive. They don't need to to use the term guns as much as they need to use the word 'rights'. We're more likely to 'pull' people to our side by using the word 'rights' over and over. IMHO, it's very important to draw the 'silent' people into this. Last night at the NJ2AS meeting, in Winslow Township, there was a discussion about meetings with New Jersey Legislators. They mentioned that at one meeting the legislator (Sen. Weinberg, I believe) made a comment "why should I let you do that". Really?!! She feels that she has a 'right' to let us do something? It's not that way. We have the rights. They need to hear that it's our 'right' all the time. It has to ring in their ears all day long. I know it won't be easy. However, if we could get a beseige them with a constant and never ending barage of 'rights' issues, it has to have some effect. We can do some of it and it's obvious that organizations like the NJ2AS and NJRPC are working on that. Still, until we can get some of the people who sit with the Weinbergs, Greenwalds, Sweeneys, Mainors, Cryans, et al on a regular basis, we're peddling the bike uphill.

It would appear that some politicians mistaken rights for privileges, and feel it is their right to bestow privileges on the citizens of this state. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights that they are so carelessly ignoring put their rear end in the seat, and it is The Constitution and the Bill of Rights that will facilitate removing their rear end from that seat.

I saw an article yesterday, that Quoted the President stating something to the effect that 90% of Americans agree with him on gun control. Funny how the administrations tune has changed since their AWB got booted, but where are the 90% that agree with him? Certainly don't see them turning in their guns, and FID's. If there were, you know the media would be all over it.

Surprised they have not figured out, the more they push the more people go to buy guns and ammo.

When I lived in NJ (Evesham) the police officer told me (2009) they were doing 2-3 foid cards per week before the 2008 election. Less than a year later they were doing 5-6 per day.

Also, since we have moved to PA, some of our 2A friends and Non 2A friends have applied for FOID cards in NJ,they were astounded and down right upset at the process. Like you said it really woke them up when they realized that all I had to do was produce ID, have a PICS check and move on. It actually boggled their minds. I told them literally 46-47 states do it this way. The look on their faces pretty much told how they felt and the response everytime is" unbelievable... Utterly unbelievable." Then they go on to say " how can we change this, I've been waiting 3 months." I send them to this site and have them look up nj2as. Anyway, keep up the fight, we're all in this together. The only other silver lining is people are waking up NOT ONLY IN NJ but in the rest of USA.I seem to be running into more and more 2a friendly people.

Also, if the ammo, gun and other shortages don't signal there's a concern I don't know what will. Also, 59% of the population was for stricter gun control after sandy hook, now it's at 44%. However, we need that number in the teens. We still have a lot of work to do.

And, I think there are many like me, those who either have guns or have had guns and thoroughly enjoyed them but due to life's demands have gotten away from shooting or hunting and are just now seeing how important it is to assert ourselves. Let's hope this is the case and it is even farther reaching than we can imagine.

Me. Have had my FPID since 1999, and quite honestly, aside from buying some ammo (and not shooting it) when I visit Cabela's every year after Xmas--hadn't given it much thought. I am now THOROUGHLY ENGAGED in this fight, and have gotten others (like my wife who now has an app in for her own FPID and P2P) to join as well. I too would like to know what the # of firearms owners in this state is up to, and if they've taken my position: I am now officially a ONE ISSUE VOTER.

Not that yahoo is a great indicator or anything but I have seen a shift there. After the Newtown shooting the comments in the gun related articles were dominated by anti's. The majority of their comments were uninformed and often times downright ridiculous. There were plenty of responses by 2A supporters but they were largely ignored or hidden due to low ratings. Now when I see an article related to gun regulations or violence the majority of the comments are from 2A supporters while the anti's comments are hidden due to low ratings. There are also many comments from non-gun owners who are disturbed by the govt's attempted intrusion into Constitutional Rights.

I feel the current anti 2a rhetoric has awoken a sleeping giant.

The anti gun movement by the democrats is going to make more people show up to the pols, and vote them out.

I agree 100% and hope it turns out that way.

Not that yahoo is a great indicator or anything but I have seen a shift there. After the Newtown shooting the comments in the gun related articles were dominated by anti's. The majority of their comments were uninformed and often times downright ridiculous. There were plenty of responses by 2A supporters but they were largely ignored or hidden due to low ratings. Now when I see an article related to gun regulations or violence the majority of the comments are from 2A supporters while the anti's comments are hidden due to low ratings. There are also many comments from non-gun owners who are disturbed by the govt's attempted intrusion into Constitutional Rights.

I agree 100% and hope it turns out that way.

In think these anti big government people are going to be allies that were not expected.

Great thread. Like Howard, I haven't held a firearm since summer camp (Camp Speers YMCA!) back in the 70's. My father passed away late last year and I wanted to take a handgun of his. I learned firsthand how difficult it is to get the FPID card and permit. My application went in on December 13th.

Anyway, I'm disgusted at how the politicians have exploited the Newtown tragedy to further their own political ambitions. The President has used it to vilify conservatives and drive another wedge between the parties. The lower rung politicians have used it to get their pictures in the paper by putting forth a never ending stream of anti-gun legislation. I'm proud to join the fight against the anti-freedom, anti-Constitution, politicians and the sheeple that support them.

Last summer, I got my FPID and started looking at guns for home protection/zombie defense. I never bothered with politics or current events because my school work always keeps me so busy.

Things are different now; Sandy Hook lit a fire under my seat. Now I'm a full blown Constitutionalist and I've done more research about firearms, concealed carry, and gun laws than I care to admit. I discuss with the fence-sitters and argue with the anti's on facebook like a banshee. (After 4 months, I even managed to convince two anti's to oppose the Assault Weapons Ban!)

I'm moving to Florida soon and plan to get my CCW there, but FIU doesn't even let students keep guns in their trunks - so I'm going to start a Students for Concealed Carry chapter there.

I am now a diesel-fueled Second Amendment advocate.