notmetoo

Opinion: M&P 15-22 or .22LR AR upper?

Okay.

I just received a NJ legal S&W M&P 15-22 with one 10-round magazine.

I also own an upper in .22lr from Tactical Solutions with three compatible mags (Tactical Solutions’ AR-22 M4). The upper needs the flash hider removed and a brake installed and pinned, plus a bayonet lug ground down (I found someone who'll do all this for about $30 and I already own a brake).

I have a lower on order that I can use for this upper, or another upper, so that is not an issue (i.e. I have a use for the lower regardless of my decision).

I only want to keep one of these. What is the wise, omniscient opinion of the NJGF crowd?

Thanks.

P.S. In keeping with the spirit of the rules of the NJGF, please post no offers to buy in this thread. I will give the NJGF community first shot to buy whichever one I decide to sell. Besides, Maks and j0n are REALLY good shots and I don't want them pissed at me.

Thanks.

Does your lower have a notched or rounded hammer? I'm not sure about dedicated .22lr uppers, but the conversion kit I had for my AR had jamming issues when attached to my lower with a notched hammer. It's an easy fix if you can find just a hammer, but it's something to look into.

I started with a .22 upper and I didn't like it so I sold it and got a 15-22. The thing I didn't like about the upper was the last round hold open was iffy at best, CMMG model. The upper always seem to jam when dirty and I hate having to swap the uppers on my lower. The 15-22 does everything as a standard AR would. I haven't regretted selling the upper for a second!!

Sell both and just get the cmmg bolt with black dog mags. Have the bolt in my 556 upper with no problems yet with close to 1000 rounds with just the bolt conversion. When your done pop your 556 bolt back in. It's still accurate enough to plink with an the black dog mags hold the bolt open everytime on the last shot

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

One thing I noticed about the black dog mags is that the bolt holds open until you pull the mag out. When you load the new mag, you have to rack the charging handle. I don't own a M&P15-22 but I was told that the bolt stays open even after you pull the magazine.

I have the Taccom upper and love it though. It is ridiculously accurate and much better than going with a CMMG conversion kit in my AR upper. My AR upper was usually very filthy afterwards and accuracy was horrible due to the 1:7 twist rate of my AR upper. The Taccom upper has a 1:16 twist rate which is more appropriate for .22lr. Accuracy was phenomenal when I tested it at 25 yds.

One plus for Taccom is the warranty. If anything breaks, just send it back and Tim will fix it. I installed the barrel but the collar was not on quite right. I send the upper to Taccom. Tim replaced the collar and took the time to tune the entire upper. It runs really nicely. Another member had his barrel blow up as there was a squib stuck in the barrel and he sent another round down. Tim warrantied the barrel. There is something about a vendor who stands by their stuff.