Thats about what I paid for mine, same doctor offered many levels of service, with the cheapest being almost half the price. You can pile on "options" and I figured my eyes are NOT something to cheap out on, if I'm going to have my eyes burned with a laser its going to be done the best possible way.

No regrets, better than 20/20 vision now. This was a couple years ago

Well I had my surgery, it went well but I had some complications with healing. Like I said in my previous post, I had PRK not lasik. I would HIGHLY suggest if you are able to have lasik get that. PRK healing time is longer and I developed an infection 4 days after surgery in my left eye. They said that the bandage contact suctioned itself onto my eye and it couldn't heal properly and the antibiotic drops couldn't get in there. they had to take out my bandage contact and leave it out and it was the WORST pain I've felt in my life. didn't matter if my eyes were closed or open, it was constant for a week. so bad I felt sick from it. I had to take sleeping pills to get to sleep. after a week of that, it got better and I'm doing well now. vision is still not prefect but that could take 1-3 months to be perfect.

For Lasik.. how long is the laser on for, can you smell your eye burning and is it true you can never be a space tourist if you get it?

laser duration varies on how bad your eyes are. usually anywhere from 10-30 seconds. you can smell it. and i dont know about the space tourist. i do know that the integrity of your eye is never 100% again. but for most people that doesnt matter. prk is less intrusive which is why i opted for that.

I am considering it as well, but I still have concerns.  At a party a few weeks ago, a friend (who was wearing glasses) talked about how she had lasik done on her eyes.   I asked her why she was wearing glasses if she had the surgery done.  She told me that, while she had poor sight in both eyes which was corrected by the surgery, the vision problem returned to one of her eyes.  One lens was clear, and the other was a corrective lens.  She had received her surgery about 12 years ago.  I didn't ask her why she didn't consult with the original eye surgeon.  I want it cause it's a pain in the ass to shoot with eyeglasses.

The Air Force approved lasik for fighter jet pilots, should be good for Mars missions as well. A shuttle launch is about 3g's, roller coaster pulls just over 4g's, fighter pilots do much more than that.

i think one of the main reasons lasik was approved by the air force is the healing time. a pilot is only out for a week at most with lasik as opposed to 1 or more months with prk. that is what ive heard at least.

I am considering it as well, but I still have concerns.  At a party a few weeks ago, a friend (who was wearing glasses) talked about how she had lasik done on her eyes.   I asked her why she was wearing glasses if she had the surgery done.  She told me that, while she had poor sight in both eyes which was corrected by the surgery, the vision problem returned to one of her eyes.  One lens was clear, and the other was a corrective lens.  She had received her surgery about 12 years ago.  I didn't ask her why she didn't consult with the original eye surgeon.  I want it cause it's a pain in the ass to shoot with eyeglasses.

go to a few surgery centers. most have free consultations. get some information and ask questions. mention your friend and see what the doc says. after everything i went through (read my above post) i would probably do it again.

I've been thinking about getting it.  I was actually at my eye doctor last week and he said to wait until I have the same prescription for a few years in a row.  I just want to not have to wear glasses or contacts!  :lol:

laser duration varies on how bad your eyes are. usually anywhere from 10-30 seconds. you can smell it. and i dont know about the space tourist. i do know that the integrity of your eye is never 100% again. but for most people that doesnt matter. prk is less intrusive which is why i opted for that.

Not sure about that. PRK actually makes incisions in your eye where as the laser cuts a thin flap and then shave some material away to reshape the eye.

I looked into PRK before LASIK existed. If I remember correctly, PRK leaves the eye more susceptible to damage from sudden decompression or other impact injuries.

Not sure about that. PRK actually makes incisions in your eye where as the laser cuts a thin flap and then shave some material away to reshape the eye.

I looked into PRK before LASIK existed. If I remember correctly, PRK leaves the eye more susceptible to damage from sudden decompression or other impact injuries.

Its Actually The Other Way Around.