Smokin .50

Pig Hunting With A 167 Year Old Hand Gun Yields 1-Shot Stop!

Well the model gun used is that old, not the gun itself: My reproduction Uberti 1847 Colt Walker! Used a friend's hand-cast 225 grain soft lead conical bullet in that big ol' Cap and Ball revolver on top of 52 grains of Goex 3Fg real black powder. 20 yard shot, paced-off just after the harvest, as the smoke was still clearin'. Bullet entered just above the front leg at a downward angle and thus caught both lungs and punched between quarter and half-dollar-sized holes in both. Pig just fell over sideways where it was hit. Don't have a picture here to post YET. Will try later when I school myself in how to post photos.

Hunt took place at Mohr's Island in Bainbridge, PA. Same location as Mosin Rob's hunt. It's challenging doing it with a hand gun, especially an old Cap-N-Ball!

Had a great time and would go again in a heart beat. Price was right, and plenty of high quality meat to fill the freezer!

Dave

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="

If this doesn't work, I might need some techy help Nick!

It didn't work. Embarrassed to say I've never had to put images in the forum before. :maninlove:

q4X3eheh.jpg

Edited by Krdshrk
Embedding image

And maybe some pork chops or smoked pork chops for our soon-to-be-arranged Grill-N-Shoot, lol! At OB outdoor of course!

The lamb kabobs are already marinated and frozen...and I have a connection for freshly baked pita.

Nick,

I have NO idea where this gear is, whether it's on this forum, the link you gave me or my computer itself, or how to do this. And I don't want the general public to see/download the image at will. It would be better if I could just email someone the image and let them post it for me. I suffer from "Old Fudd" Disorder, lol! But thanks for trying.....

The lamb kabobs are already marinated and frozen...and I have a connection for freshly baked pita.

I'm calling the Butcher/Smokehouse tomorrow to ascertain the availability of my smoked pork products. The fresh pork should be processed, freezer wrapped and labeled by now, since he's had it for a week :gaming: I can't wait!

Congrats Dave, did you practice with that load at 20-50 yards or experience set in?

How low was your point of aim?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm going to S. Carolina in Oct. for a hog hunt and want to use my old army with a conical bullet as well. I think I can only fit 30-35 grains max? The bullet is a 220 gr. .456

What do you think or should I use my Uberti third dragoon?

Congrats Dave, did you practice with that load at 20-50 yards or experience set in?

How low was your point of aim?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm going to S. Carolina in Oct. for a hog hunt and want to use my old army with a conical bullet as well. I think I can only fit 30-35 grains max? The bullet is a 220 gr. .456

What do you think or should I use my Uberti third dragoon?

My POA was approx. a foot below POI at 25 yards with a similar-weight/designed conical I had shot a couple years ago, so I KNEW from experience where the bullet would go Vinny. I used the same slug you listed, only the soft lead ones Lance cast for me weighed-in at 225 grains out of his Lee double-cavity mold.

I would use the ROA with 35-40 grains of 3Fg, and then lube that slug's grease rings (like I did) with a schmere of Wonderlube, and then apply some Wonderlube over the slugs after they're fully seated into the chambers. NO lubed wad needed, so there's extra room for powder :gaming: ! Of particular note was the fact that I had a slightly hard time seating the .456 conicals into the Walker's chambers. In fact, they each had to be tapped-down with a small hammer so they would "clear" the loading notch (as I would rotate the cylinder to seat them) even in the big Walker. I looked at my 3rd Model Dragoon's loading notch which is slightly smaller than the Walker's and decided to not even try loading those big conicals into the Dragoon since I don't own a loading press for loading the cylinders when they're OUTSIDE of the revolver's frame.

My recommendation would be to always sight in your revolver with those conicals. Also, since the regular ball size for ROA's is .457, I might also experiment with that sized bullet. I wouldn't want to tell you that those .456's are tight enough to not JUMP while inside the chambers and under the effects of the recoil of 35-40 grains of powder. The .457 balls shave a little bit of lead when going into the ROA's chambers. Since I don't own a ROA, I would want to experiment to make sure that none of a cylinder's worth of .456 conicals "jump" during a practice run... Either way, there's plenty of time between now and October to figure this all out :D .

Hope to see you back at our League one of these days!

Dave

Dave's hog

4E83A6FF-D773-4F12-A42C-2B33B96561C6-5063-000003724E04DE43_zps73de31da.jpg

Uberti Colt Walker loaded with 52 grains of Goex 3Fg real Black Powder under a lubed .456 diameter 225 grain soft lead Lee conical. One shot stop through both lungs at 20 paced yards. Upon inspection while Field Dressing, holes in both lungs were between quarter and half-dollar size. Susquehanna River is seen in top left background of image. Revolver is 15.7" long OAL, with 9" barrel and weighs 4.5 pounds EMPTY. Nearly five pounds at ignition, so recoil was manageable! The guy in the hunter orange costume weighs considerably more, lol!

(Thanks to Mosin Rob for the image posting)

Rosey

Awesome Dave!!

That must have been a adrenaline rush to see the hog keel over!

One shoot one kill! Nice!

"Wonderlubing after the conical is set in cylinder" I guess that keeps the conical in place and from jumping?

I'll be at the next shoot gotta get working on it!

Thanks Dave

Awesome Dave!!

That must have been a adrenaline rush to see the hog keel over!

One shoot one kill! Nice!

Wonderlubing after the conical is set in cylinder" I guess that keeps the conical in place and from jumping?

I'll be at the next shoot gotta get working on it!

Thanks Dave

Vinny,

Actually, placing a pinch of lubrication inside the grease rings of the conical aids in seating the huge bullet, and keeps the fouling soft as well as the forcing cone and barrel from "leading-up" with "magnum" charges. The wonderlube OVER the conicals keeps fouling soft and aids in eliminating any possibility of a Chain Fire through the front of the chamber mouths. Keeping all chambers covered with caps on the nipples eliminates chain fires from the back of the cylinder.

And yes Vin, it was surely an adrenaline RUSH! Almost sorry I didn't have to shoot the Walker more. Lance's slug did the trick for sure!

Bump!

Went to pick-up my fresh pork meat order from V. Roche & Son in Whitehouse Station on Saturday. Had some pork chops in Carolina Mustard Marinade: Absolutely fantastic! You can really taste the difference in freshness from store-bought chops that were laying in the case for a while!

Can't wait to pick-up the smoked order! Will need to control the drooooooolll!

Dave

Bump!

Just went today back to Roche to pick-up the rest of my Piggy (the smoked meats).  Tons of bacon, 3 nice hams, and several packages of smoked pork chops---over 62 pounds of smoked pork--took two coolers to bring it all home, lol!

Found-out that Piggy weighed-in at 239 pounds after field dressing and skinning.  Butcher said he didn't find any slugs, so the conical is still inside one of the lungs back on the island...

Can't wait to try some smoked pork products!

Dave

Nice Stamina of you dear as you are in this age. Also there is another  model which is famous for this purpose as my cousen is using for a while of time,,, Browning Medalist 22 LR ..

???  Huh?

Dave