Bacchus88

First Shotgun

So as I am waiting on my FID to come back, I have been looking around for what shotgun i want to buy. I will primarily be using it for trap/skeet and the occaisonal sporting clays. The one that has peeked my interest is the Browning BPS. Has anyone here had experience with this one? Is it good for what i want to use it for? Any comments/opinions or other suggestions $500-$800 range would be greatly appreciated!

IMHO, I used to shoot clays with a Mossberg 500 Pump, a 28" barrel and Skeet choke. The money you save can go toward ammunition, which will improve your score far more than the advantage you get from a gas or recoil-operated semi-auto. Buy the Mossberg and save yourself $400

So as I am waiting on my FID to come back, I have been looking around for what shotgun i want to buy. I will primarily be using it for trap/skeet and the occaisonal sporting clays. The one that has peeked my interest is the Browning BPS. Has anyone here had experience with this one? Is it good for what i want to use it for? Any comments/opinions or other suggestions $500-$800 range would be greatly appreciated!

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 as a first shotgun / home defense firearm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The BPS is a quality gun, and could be used for all of the clay disciplines. The 870 and 500 would be as well. If you are picking a gun for the target games, pick the one that fits you best. The Remington & Mossberg are probably better choices because of lower cost and ability to be upgraded and outfitted in different configurations. Browning barrels are pricey and after-market products for them are fewer than for the Remington and Mossberg.

IMHO, I used to shoot clays with a Mossberg 500 Pump, a 28" barrel and Skeet choke. The money you save can go toward ammunition, which will improve your score far more than the advantage you get from a gas or recoil-operated semi-auto. Buy the Mossberg and save yourself $400

I like this idea. the 500 seems to be in the same class as the 870, but a fair bit cheaper. I think I'm sold. Just gotta try one on for suze.

I'm also hung up between the 500 and the 870... I'll let you know where I land!

You could be hung up there for a long time if you dwell on it, because there is not much to choose between them.  I have three Mossbergs, because I find the safety easier to manipulate, as alowerlevel noted.  Now I really don't want to get a Remington, as I do not want any potential confusion about the safety in a critical situation.