Clintoon Eastwood

When do you think ammo prices will be back to normal?(poll)

When do you think ammo prices will be back to normal?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think ammo prices will be back to normal?

• 1 - 2 months
    • 3 - 6 months
    • 7 - 12 months
    • More than a year
    • Or this will be the norm, always an ammo shortage

7-12 months for all back orders to be filled, for the panic buyers to stop panic buying, and those that didn't panic buy to start their own stockpile.

Unless some kind of sudden gun control bill passes at the national level things are bound to return to normal.

I do the purchasing for an ffl. 8-9 months until prices and availability return to pre panic levels on the vast majority of ammo. Keep in mind 4-5 months from now puts you into hunting season, and 6-7 months from now is the holiday buying season when ammo is a popular gift. I personally think that 22 lr will take a little bit longer.

I believe that "normal" is a misnomer,I think it's going to be over a year before a new normal is reached. A normal where we will be able to walk in to Cabelas,or Dicks and actually have a choice of ammo,quantity and price.

All of which will not resemble the "normal" pre Connecticut prices or availability.

I don't think prices will ever be down to what they normally were. For example, pre-panic I'd say the average 9mm box of 50 was $10-12. Now it's I don't even know, $20? I can see it going down to say $15-16, but never down to that $10-12. And that goes for most ammo across the boards. That's just my opinion.

I can see prices starting to go down in 8-10months, but nothing to pre-panic prices.

If you look on gunbot.net you can see that any vendor with normal or slightly above normal pricing sells out quickly. All others seem to have product in stock, just not moving. When cabelas and bass pro and the like start to make common ammo more readily available all off the over priced stock will drop. I am guessing by mid to late summer. Lake city is about to start their seasonal run of 556 and 223 24/7 and the big chains are first in line as their orders are already in. As for .22lr, who knows? Cci manufactures 1000000 rounds per day. Where is that going?

Just like gas never went back to the $2.50 per gallon range, I think higher than normal ammo prices are here to stay. I am thinking 10% - 15% increase will be the new norm.

This,

Availability will normalize soon or already has but the increase in the range of 10-15-20% vs pre 2013 prices.

Not completely true. 22lr is everywhere, its just overpriced. That goes for all ammunition. Its everywhere but are you willing to pay for it. 

Clint......define "everywhere". Perhaps on the auction sites but just take a brief tour of the traditional on line sites,Sportsman,Natchez,Palmetto,Cabelas,USA Ammo,Freedom,SGA,Wideners et al is completely sold out of the popular calibers and have been for months. When it does show in stock...it's gone in moments regardless of the price.

He'l if it wasn't for pmc we would really be up $h!:s creek. They seem to be the only company producing good numbers right now. Federal and Remington are around but pmc is distributing a lot more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe that "normal" is a misnomer,I think it's going to be over a year before a new normal is reached. A normal where we will be able to walk in to Cabelas,or Dicks and actually have a choice of ammo,quantity and price.

All of which will not resemble the "normal" pre Connecticut prices or availability.

See here is the thing... people already report that in Cabelas, and when I was in Florida, almost any gun shop I walked into.... had a choice of ammo.  The only one they did not have is 22lr.

My local gun shop has had small amounts of whatever I needed this week including 22lr at what I believe are reasonable rates. ($4 for 50 CCI standard velocity)

I think we've got about another 6 months before availability returns and the market settles. By then I think you'll see a 10% increase due to typical inflation of the metals market over prices from last year.

It'll happen unless some new scare starts the cycle again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See here is the thing... people already report that in Cabelas, and when I was in Florida, almost any gun shop I walked into.... had a choice of ammo.  The only one they did not have is 22lr.

So is it a regional thing?I've read accounts of visits right here on this forum and others reporting no availability not only in PA but Fort Worth,Maine,Lacey WA, and others of spotty supply, if any in popular calibers.

Yet to read about any Walmart having any significant supply, even in Florida.

I don't know if ammo prices will ever get to where they were.  I'm guessing there will be a slight increase and it depends on how much stock there is and demand.  The dollar is getting devalued with our government printing press.

Available and normal are all relative terms.  Availability in NJ is great right now, because you can buy it over the internet and source from almost any supplier.  Assuming NJ passes the new P2P rule to buy ammo we will be limited to purchasing from bricks and mortar stores within the state boundaries.  Assuming one does not physically buy it outside the state and possibly break some law by bringing it in, supply will be greatly curtailed which by logic says prices will be higher.

Clint......define "everywhere". Perhaps on the auction sites but just take a brief tour of the traditional on line sites,Sportsman,Natchez,Palmetto,Cabelas,USA Ammo,Freedom,SGA,Wideners et al is completely sold out of the popular calibers and have been for months. When it does show in stock...it's gone in moments regardless of the price.

"Everywhere" meaning stores and online. It's there too bad we don't get to see it because of people lined up outside of stores when it's ammo delivery day, before the stores even open. Online basically the same. Too many people thinking of "what might happen banning scenarios" hence the over stock piling of ammo.

Duppie, I'm actually laughing at the people specifically on this forum that bought ammo at almost double the PRE-newton price. Yes I said laughing. Hahahaha.

I personally do not have a stockpile and I still shoot like before and I'm going to range again tomorrow. Peace!

"Everywhere" meaning stores and online. It's there too bad we don't get to see it because of people lined up outside of stores when it's ammo delivery day, before the stores even open. Online basically the same. Too many people thinking of "what might happen banning scenarios" hence the over stock piling of ammo.

Duppie, I'm actually laughing at the people specifically on this forum that bought ammo at almost double the PRE-newton price. Yes I said laughing. Hahahaha.

I personally do not have a stockpile and I still shoot like before and I'm going to range again tomorrow. Peace!

My connection in the EB Dicks is gone so I'm reduced to passing in every once in awhile and chatting with one of the managers, She said that the same 8  guys and their friends are waiting at the door on truck day and buying up the little allotment is sent to that store.Leaving little if any for the poor schmuck like my self to fend for himself..... I don't see this trend ending soon,It may ease to the point that we see more vendors online offering more ammo sooner but I think between the profiteers and the hoarders it's not going to be at a point where we can just open a screen or hop out of a car and be assured there will be ammo on the shelf at a moments notice any time in the near future.

I was getting a coffee this morning at a local deli and overheard a few guys talking about guns/ammo. It surprised me to hear of their thinking, which was basically stocking up when prices go back down to normal. I apologized for butting into their conversation and proceeded to have a little chit-chat with them. They were nice and welcoming. We talked for about 10 mins but they were all fairly new shooters (~6-12months) and fell into the panic situation quickly. I guess this happened to a lot of new shooters - they got into shooting and shootings happened and next thing you know they can barely afford ammo. I told them I can't see prices going down to what they normally were. When I told them what quantities some of us have as ammo stashes, they couldn't believe it. It was pretty funny. I still am not sweating this whole scarce ammo thing, but thankfully I was prepared and always bought ammo when I could. A lot of people weren't or couldn't.

Just like gas never went back to the $2.50 per gallon range, I think higher than normal ammo prices are here to stay. I am thinking 10% - 15% increase will be the new norm.

I agree. God forbid there is another mass shooting also. Ammo prices will never go down to what they once were.