scatterbrains

For the AR gurus..carrier opinion

Even without the pic, if the rifle won't cycle then that points to a problem with the gas system. Like Ty said, either the gas key is loose or obstructed in some way. Is that a cotton patch inside there? PM me the thread on arfcom please.

Ammo QC is at an all time low and folks are buying anything they can that says .223 or 5.56 on the box, regardless of the quality.

I oversee close to 45,000 rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo sent downrange per year as an instructor and student. As such, I have seen a lot of popped primers in factory ammo lately and I have seen them work they way into the carrier key. I had a student rifle go down once and pulled 19 primers out of it before I got it back up and running.

This photo looks similar to an issue I have see in the past.

popped primer from a FC piece of brass in my 25Ar. pockets were loose and it worked its way into the carrier key first time ive ever seen this failure thought it was interesting.

The offending primer

2013-06-06_18-32-07_174_zpse4d0a2a0.jpg

2013-06-06_18-31-49_202_zps168abd03.jpg

Came out fairly easy small drill bit and 3mm tap popped right out.

The brass had about 8 reloads on it in the process of culling all FC from my brass supply, it will be loaded 3x and tossed now. Some of my R&P and WCC have up to 11 reloads on them.

popped primer from a FC piece of brass in my 25Ar. pockets were loose and it worked its way into the carrier key first time ive ever seen this failure thought it was interesting.

The offending primer

2013-06-06_18-32-07_174_zpse4d0a2a0.jpg

2013-06-06_18-31-49_202_zps168abd03.jpg

Came out fairly easy small drill bit and 3mm tap popped right out.

The brass had about 8 reloads on it in the process of culling all FC from my brass supply, it will be loaded 3x and tossed now. Some of my R&P and WCC have up to 11 reloads on them.

What's are you loading them with?