2ANJ

I am sorry but this is just wrong...

I wonder how many people here who believe that cops should be taped without restrictions, also would be for surveillance cameras on themselves in their workplace, following you on the street while going about your business, red light and radar speed cameras watching you drive and random people pointing a camera in your face while you go about your day?

Id say the majority of these videos shown on the internet dont have anything to do with keeping cops accountable..its the incessant fetish some have with showing their ass and pushing the limits of legality for the purpose of self gratification..

I'm not sure about you but while I'm at work, a good portion of my day is recorded. It's been that way forever. As far as on the street, there are cameras everywhere and if you think your mot being recorded now , your wrong.

As far as the cops, they're public servants. Should go with the turf.

I love how 50 people say "they could have handled it better" but offer no suggestion how (except to uncuff the guy antagonizing the situation so he can calm his dog down). Really? The same guy who put the dog "away" in a car with the windows down? Clearly the cop should have let the 120 Rottweiler gnaw on his arm while his partner ran to Petco and got a box of Milk-Bones and a squeaky mouse. Kudos to the animal lovers here who see that the cops were reacting to a threat. I'm not a cop and I'm all for cops being taped, but this clearly was NOT an upstanding citizen ensuring that the police didn't violate a fellow citizens civil rights during a stop-and-frisk-, this was a douche antagonizing some cops who were responding to an armed robbery call, trying to stop crime in what appears to be a shitty hood that the douche himself probably lives in. The douches actions got his innocent dog killed. Jeez.

I think that before the next "forum lawyer" opens his mouth and removes all doubt, so to speak, should look into the shooters history, the departments history and the dog owners history... The shooter had been in hot water multiple times for police brutality, the department had shelled out nearly 5 million in settlements in the past few years, (some of which, same cop was involved) and while the dog owner is no Angel, the dog didn't have to pay for it. Also, said lawyers, would you please explain to those of us not versed in your legal forte as to what exactly did the dog owner do wrong. Damn keyboard commandos.

I think that before the next "forum lawyer" opens his mouth and removes all doubt, so to speak, should look into the shooters history, the departments history and the dog owners history... The shooter had been in hot water multiple times for police brutality, the department had shelled out nearly 5 million in settlements in the past few years, (some of which, same cop was involved) and while the dog owner is no Angel, the dog didn't have to pay for it. Also, said lawyers, would you please explain to those of us not versed in your legal forte as to what exactly did the dog owner do wrong. Damn keyboard commandos.

+1 for this guy ^ ....HOWEVER!!! I watched the video multiple times but not to the dramatic part. I tried to slow it down to right before he puts the dog in the car and right around when the cops start making their way towards him. Without any audio editing and due to the people talking who are filming and the cars radio you can still make out the cops asking him to come here. BUT right before that when he is walking the dog over to the car he mouths something to the cops. My guess since its so unclear wasn't along the lines of "have a nice day" So, was there instigating or escalation of the situtation when he said something? Yes. Were the cops in the right? No. Was the guy in the right. Ehhhh yes and no. But this dog did NOT deserve to die.

He failed to properly restrain his dog to keep it from running at large, that is what he did wrong! I am not saying that the cops are in the right for cuffing him in the first place but a dog owner has a duty to properly restrain a dog at all times and a car with the windows down is not restrained

Im a dog person. I have 3 at home an a rottweiler at mother in laws. I sincerely and completely honestly don't give a flying fugg who gets offended at me or my words. I wish officer Jeffrey Salmon the worst possible life and suggest he takes his own life. That was uncalled for. And to those extremists gun owners, its like being shot by cops for trying to protect your loved ones or property. Not cool. And those who justify the shooting, you're an asshole.

Keyboard Commandos?..this coming from a guy who said the cop should kill himself and that those who justify it are a-holes.. Who is the " Keyboard Commando " exactly? Bottom line is me and you werent there and the only facts I worry about are in court proceedings.. Not NJ.com or any other "reputable internet news source"

After finally getting a chance to look at this, i have to say, what kind of douche bag thinks walking behind a lot of police cars with a phone while a raid is going on is a good idea?

All these comments about filming without picking up that the guy,forget the camera, does some mighty suspicious stuff.

Walking out of sight of the officers on a raid by approaching their cars.

Filming, yes but with a PHONE. That would be a TELEPHONE as well as a camera phone. Not to mention there a at least two other people recording and not getting hassled.

Loud music loud enough that the guys that made that video say they can't hear anything.

Then there is that "f you" demeanor and general appearance of deliberately trying to distract.

Hate to see a dog go like that, but I am shocked that in three pages there are people more concerned about "filming" and not "suspicious behavior."

I'm no cop, but when we used to secure scenes in Iraq I guarantee you that every one I know would have picked up on that guy. Just watching him walk behind those cars gave me flash backs - no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this guy went to his drivers door to key on the ignition to close the window ya think the cops may think he was reaching for a weapon and promptly receive an asphalt sandwich?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

agreed.

Guys - keep it civil.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/police-shoot-dog_n_3530990.html

Another bystander behind Rosby was recording him, and can be heard saying that Rosby asked the police why there weren't any black cops present.

To me that sounds like fishing for trouble.  Harassing cops while they're dealing with barricaded suspects in the hood?

Also - looking at prior instances is like the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case - the prosecution is trying to bring up previous neighborhood watch non-emergency calls to make it look like GZ was plotting what happened.  That's the past - this was in the now. 

Lets face it, the thing that's got everyone's blood boiling wasn't this mans rights as much as the killing of his dog. All I'm saying is if I'm a cop and a big dog is charging me, I'm shooting it before it harms me or my partner. Maybe they recognized that guy from a wanted poster or maybe he's the pastor of the local church - it's a short clip and I can't make out much of the audio. Maybe that cop felt terrible, maybe he high fived his partner afterwards - the point I'm trying to make is that I guarantee he would have felt way worse if he or his partner got injured because he was worried about the dogs well being. There was even an animal control officer who commented on here saying that it was tragic, but he understood. Call me an asshole all you want - to me, all of you people on here that are more worried about a dog than a cops safety sound about as irrational as those women who freak out when a gravely injured animal has to be put down on the side of the road. I guess this guy has the right to antagonize the cops but no one has the right not to have an irrational love of animals.

If this guy went to his drivers door to key on the ignition to close the window ya think the cops may think he was reaching for a weapon and promptly receive an asphalt sandwich?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Why were the windows all the way down in the first place? If he had his dog in the car with him the windows should have been up enough to restrain the dog to the car. There are only a few simple laws that you have to follow to properly keep a dog and this dog owner did not follow one of them and now his dog is dead because of his inability to follow a simple law.

This thread has taken it's toll on our sensibilities, especially with regard to juvenile statements and name-calling.  Showing-up with a WEAPON (YES, a HUGE dog can be classified as such) to a an active crime scene is like throwing gasoline on a campfire.  The dog is dead because it turned-into an unsecured WEAPON.  Brought to the scene by it's DOUCHE owner.  No matter how many dogs you have or love (and I've had many in my lifetime), at the end of the day the two facts I just stated remain the same.  Videotaping Cops is NOT the issue here.  Interfering with a Police investigation is.  If all the Douche wanted to do is videotape, he could have done so from his original safe distance, and left the dog in the car with the windows rolled higher.  The mere presence of that dog created an un-needed element of an additional threat to the health, safety and well-being of every responding Officer at the scene.  If you interfere at a scene or bring or cause an additional threat to the Officers working said scene, you can count on being detained and/or arrested.  And the Cops are well within the law for doing so.  The douchey dog owner should have never taken the dog out of the car at a crime scene.  His extremely poor situational awareness resulted in a foreseeable course of events that however tragic, remain HIS FAULT!    Kudos to the Cops for doing their jobs and kudos to the Cop who saw the threat soon enough and drew his sidearm in time to protect the lives of the Officers!

A Forum is a place where folks give OPINIONS.  I just gave all of you my OPINION.  Rational comments by those so inclined are welcome.  Threats of DEATH, intimidation and bullying however are NOT.

Everyone have a great Holiday and be safe out there!

Dave

Edited by Krdshrk
Removed quote from another user which was in violation of language and taste

Arguing that the owners' inability to secure the dog is the reason the dog is dead seem to not realize that it was the bullets striking the dog that killed the dog...This is the same logic used by the anti-gun crowd when discussing gun violence.  I am just pointing this out because it really sticks out in some posts.  I have no ill will towards the police officer that shot the dog, just looking for some consistency in people's arguments.

Why were the windows all the way down in the first place? If he had his dog in the car with him the windows should have been up enough to restrain the dog to the car. There are only a few simple laws that you have to follow to properly keep a dog and this dog owner did not follow one of them and now his dog is dead because of his inability to follow a simple law.

What if he utilized a "doggy seat belt"? Not likely but I think my argument for the hypothetical holds more water than "why were his windows down while he had his dog" Even if he hadnt complied with cops request to lower the volume of his stereo, why immediately put this guy in cuffs instead of speaking with him face to face about securing his radio?

*edit*

Im not trained to deal with situations as such, but it seems that a face to face narrative might have went a little further than walking up to him and cuffing him because he either had his radio blasting, or the police had a problem with him recording an active investigation. Am I wrong in expecting a progressive scale of handling the situation i.e. verbal request, verbal warning citing the grounds, then escalating if continued failure to comply? I would also understand that being cognoscente of your surroundings would note that the owners dog could have been a potential threat being in the car with the window down.. why not address that concern before anything else since the guy was not an imminent threat (violent/abusive/etc) 

What if he utilized a "doggy seat belt"? Not likely but I think my argument for the hypothetical holds more water than "why were his windows down while he had his dog" Even if he hadnt complied with cops request to lower the volume of his stereo, why immediately put this guy in cuffs instead of speaking with him face to face about securing his radio?

See my post above.

no comment bc I would prob offend afew!

I'll give it a go...  the only mistake the officers made was shot placement.  If ANY dog moves toward me in that manner I'm shooting it as well.  The dog was completely and solely the responsibility of the owner.  Sometimes things happen that are just bad luck, wrong place/wrong time. 

I watched the video -- LAPD was justified.

Lets face it, the thing that's got everyone's blood boiling wasn't this mans rights as much as the killing of his dog.  

Very true

maybe he high fived his partner afterwards

Wouldn't be the first time HE does that.

Call me an asshole all you want

well...   I've be warned about that one.  maybe harsh, but hey, if we're all for the 2nd, why not the 1st A?

no one has the right not to have an irrational love of animals.

???

I strongly suggest that you re-think this and issue a retraction.    

Not retracting.

Last time I looked, wishing another human being DEAD can get you BANNED around here!  

wishing and acting on as far as i can recollect constitute as two entirely separate issues.  If it gets me banned, then what's done is done, even if in doing so, my 1st amendment right is infringed.

This thread has taken it's toll on our sensibilities, especially with regard to juvenile statements and name-calling.  

fair assesment, but so is calling the owner a Douche.  whether he is or isn't.  (Touche?)

Showing-up with a WEAPON (YES, a HUGE dog can be classified as such)

by whom?  and if a dog with its "killer teeth" is a weapon, why isn't a bouncer or body builder also classified as such?  yes, i know. semantics.

Videotaping Cops is NOT the issue here.

Agreed

Interfering with a Police investigation is.

as per the people defending the murder of a being protecting its own property as far as he/she was concerned

The mere presence of that dog created an un-needed element of an additional threat to the health, safety and well-being of every responding Officer at the scene.  If you interfere at a scene or bring or cause an additional threat to the Officers working said scene.

5-6 cars, averaging 2 officers per, let's say 12 officers with guns at risk vs one huge "killing machine?"

HIS FAULT!    

so, since we're equating this "huge killing machine" as a weapon, which he is legally allowed to posess, is it any different than someone with a legal open carry sidearm and while being unlawfully detained as far as your sidearm is concerned, it goes on the defense...     the weapon only did what it knows to do...  sounds stupid don't it.  glad we agree.

Kudos to the Cops for doing their jobs and kudos to the Cop who saw the threat soon enough and drew his sidearm in time to protect the lives of the Officers!

yes, kudos for murdering senselessly an animal defending his 52 year old family member.  (now if this would have been mace or taser, less likely this whole "conversation" would be taking place)

A Forum is a place where folks give OPINIONS.  I just gave all of you my OPINION.  Rational comments by those so inclined are welcome.  

fair statement

Threats of DEATH, intimidation and bullying however are NOT.

none were issued by me to any member of this forum nor was it stated that i intended or would carry out such event.

Everyone have a great Holiday and be safe out there!

I agree and likewise Dave.

Arguing that the owners' inability to secure the dog is the reason the dog is dead seem to not realize that it was the bullets striking the dog that killed the dog...

yup.

it seems that a face to face narrative might have went a little further than walking up to him and cuffing him because he either had his radio blasting, or the police had a problem with him recording an active investigation. Am I wrong in expecting a progressive scale of handling the situation i.e. verbal request, verbal warning citing the grounds, then escalating if continued failure to comply? I would also understand that being cognoscente of your surroundings would note that the owners dog could have been a potential threat being in the car with the window down.. why not address that concern before anything else since the guy was not an imminent threat (violent/abusive/etc) 

very astute observation. well versed. 100% in agreement.  Also note that as previously stated and or hinted at, the shooter has a history of violence and abuse of power.  last time it happened, it costed the city $1 million just to settle it and keep it out of court.

as per the city of Hawthorne, if noise was the concern, a fine was to be imposed if that was the excuse prior to the shooting.  (http://qcode.us/codes/hawthorne/view.php?topic=9-iv-9_35&showAll=1&frames=on)
the shooting itself was excessive use of force.  no rules of engagement/use of force were followed. life was not in danger with 2 of ~12 other officers in immediate vicinity. limb perhaps, life? no.

Now, in an attempt to not continue to sound like Keyboard Commando, my argument stops here.

I wonder how many people here who believe that cops should be taped without restrictions, also would be for surveillance cameras on themselves in their workplace, following you on the street while going about your business, red light and radar speed cameras watching you drive and random people pointing a camera in your face while you go about your day?

Oh please! Really?

Everything I do at work is monitored. Phone calls recorded, Internet activity monitored (they have a man in the middle thing for SSL websites too, so not even SSL is private), exit/entry to the building, inidividual floors and sensitive areas like studios and tech rooms. And yes we have surveillance cameras everywhere. That's just reality these days.

Everyone here has a cell phone camera and filming happens. 

When a contractor comes to do work on your home, you do sit and watch them, right? I most certainly do. If you don't, then you have an extremely high level of trust in complete strangers. 

no rules of engagement/use of force were followed. life was not in danger with 2 of ~12 other officers in immediate vicinity. limb perhaps, life? no.

Is the dogs life worth your index finger? I really want people to answer this, if the answer is yes then you can say whatever you want. If you like your finger then you should put yourself in their shoes & shut up ( I couldn't find a way to say it nicely). It looks like it was the third officer that was last on the scene who fired the shots. He shows up a guy is in cuffs & you would assume his dog is acting aggressively towards his fellow officers. I tries to approach the dog in one of he worst ways possible & it goes downhill from there.

If you choose to respond to me please first answer my question above^.

Arguing that the owners' inability to secure the dog is the reason the dog is dead seem to not realize that it was the bullets striking the dog that killed the dog...This is the same logic used by the anti-gun crowd when discussing gun violence. I am just pointing this out because it really sticks out in some posts. I have no ill will towards the police officer that shot the dog, just looking for some consistency in people's arguments.

last time I checked guns don't jump out of widows and attack people on there own. Comparing an object like a gun to an animal is rediculous. Yes both can be dangerous, but a dog can cause harm all on its own.

last time I checked guns don't jump out of widows and attack people on there own. Comparing an object like a gun to an animal is rediculous. Yes both can be dangerous, but a dog can cause harm all on its own.

I was discussing the fact that people were saying that the owner killed the dog, nothing at all to do with the animal.  An animal jumping out of a window does not kill itself.  Another action must take place for it to be killed (shot, hit by car, etc.).  I did not in any way shape, or form compare a gun to an animal.  It was about the actual cause of death.

Ummm according to Libtards terrible black assualt rifles cause grave danger.... :onthequiet:

I was discussing the fact that people were saying that the owner killed the dog, nothing at all to do with the animal. An animal jumping out of a window does not kill itself. Another action must take place for it to be killed (shot, hit by car, etc.). I did not in any way shape, or form compare a gun to an animal. It was about the actual cause of death.

there is a why and how to this. How did it die? Cop shot it. Why did it die? Owner failed to secure it, OR command it to stop. The owner is always responsible for its dog. Did the owner kill it, no, but he is the reason it's dead. I would never fault an animal for something like this. They act and behave based on how their owner trained them, if you can't control your dog it should NEVER be in any position to get loose.

And for gods sake the car was on with the music blasting. All he had to do was open the door and push the switches. Didn't have to get in it or reach for anything.