Sam02S2K

Problem with Stripped lower

Hello Everyone,

Not sure exactly where to put this. Ran into a slight problem I wanted to check with fellow NJ forum members. I just won a bid on gunbroker for a Black Rain Ordnance stripped lower/upper set. My FFL is telling me its illegal and is considered an assault weapon. From my understanding I didn't know there were certain stripped lowers that were illegal. I of course want to abide by the laws. If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Nothing wrong with it... may i ask what he thinks is illegal about it :)

My FFL was telling me that he went on Black Rain's website and said its illegal. Didn't want to be argumentative with him and tell him I don't believe its illegal. He continued on to saying that its considered an assault weapon and then mention something about magazine capacity which I know in NJ is 15. For some reason he talked about how I could change magazines to different capacity with this lower.

If your FFL said its illegal due to mag capacity and this is a stripped lower then he's an idiot and should not be an FFL.

Mag Capacity and a stripped Lower have nothing to do with each other.

Their is no reason to go on Black rains website... Its legal

does he have the lower in his possession? If so ask him to mail it to another FFL :)

If your FFL said its illegal due to mag capacity and this is a stripped lower then he's an idiot and should not be an FFL.

Capacity and Lower are 2 separate items not connected at all

Their is no reason to go on Black rains website... Its legal

does he have the lower in his possession? If so ask him to mail it to another FFL :)

He does not have it in his possession Ill have to find someone else to recieve it.

Just trying to be as careful as possible. Don't want to be breaking any laws.

Thanks for your help

He does not have it in his possession Ill have to find someone else to recieve it.

Just trying to be as careful as possible. Don't want to be breaking any laws.

Thanks for your help

If your close to Monmouth country i will accept it :)

If your close to Highland lakes we will as well !.....

:p

LOL.......

FYI went to BRO website and I see NOTHING that would make that unit illegal in NJ as it is.... 

Or Morganville  i think your too far HAHAHA

Whomever does the transfer its legal

I'd love to get it transfered to both of you but you guys are to far! haha

Thanks again I really appreciate the responses

If your close to Monmouth country i will accept it :)

If your close to Highland lakes we will as well !.....

:p

LOL.......

FYI went to BRO website and I see NOTHING that would make that unit illegal in NJ as it is....

Thank the Heavens we have smart FFL's left in this state!

NOW....they MIGHT be referring to the lower and the THIRD position for the safety.........this is an assumption on my part....and I am NOT an authority on NFA weapons...BUT even thought there is a position for burst or auto...there are a number of things that have to be available inside the receiver (milled out room) and an additional pin hole that does not seem to be present....thus IMO render the third position in the lower moot...

That might be what they are referring too....

As I recall.........only COLT lowers have the space for the burst assembly blocked and most if not all other lowers have the area milled out.....again...NOT an expert on NFA weapons or even how to make one, which I dont think it is legal to do even in free states.....you have to buy one made prior to a certain date etc....AFAIK....  YMMV

This is what I was looking at, I wonder if the FFL was considering this to be a select fire rifle. Is the mere mention, or in this case potential indication enough to make it illegal in the PRNJ ? It's possible here...

In my humble opinion, some FFL's quote law for not doing the transfer when in reality they just dont want to. I wish they would just say they dont want to as it would cut down on the confusion.

In the case of this specific lower, even if its not illegal per se, I would not want a lower with a FA position. I know its a long shot but consider if you had a rifle malf and go full auto and the po po got called, imagine your trying to explain to the prosecuter that gets called that the label for full auto on your rifle that went full auto is fake. Subsequently imagine your lawyer trying to explain the technical attributes and mechanics to a potentially gun unfriendly, white haired grandma and grampa jury. To me this is simply in the catagory of why give them extra ammo against you as we live behind enemy lines.

He is talking about full auto selector switch markings... It's not relevant IMO

It isn't.  Low shelf lower with select fire markings has no bearing on legality.  I could have "Safe", one dildo, and multiple dildos engraved on my lowers for the FCG positions and it wouldn't make any difference from "Safe" "Fire" and "Auto".  Though it certainly would be more memorable.  As long as it doesn't have that sear pin drilled in it...

I'd like to ask that FFL what he thinks about the legality of M16 BCGs...