Howi

Sending optics in the mail illegal?!

I am almost 100% positive this woman at the ups store just had no idea and thought this RDS would somehow kill her, but regardless it got turned away.

My family back home was trying to mail my aim point pro out to me from nj and the woman working the desk turned them away saying it is illegal to ship parts of firearms out of nj with out a gov id. Whether this is true or false I was wondering if there is any legislation that I can have them show her? Thanks!

Really just want to know if its true?

I know a lot of optics can't be shipped overseas because of export regulations. Where are you now?

This ^^^ look up ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations)

Edit:  Heres a page on Optic Planets site about it http://www.opticsplanet.com/export.html

ITAR is no joke.

Not only does it cover physical items, like weapon parts, NODs, Optics and armor, but training too.

If you train a foreign national/non US citizen on firearms in a professional capacity you are violating ITAR and are subject to federal prosecution.

Remember at SHOT a few years back there were all those arrests - that was all ITAR related.

ITAR is no joke.

Not only does it cover physical items, like weapon parts, NODs, Optics and armor, but training too.

If you train a foreign national/non US citizen on firearms in a professional capacity you are violating ITAR and are subject to federal prosecution.

Remember at SHOT a few years back there were all those arrests - that was all ITAR related.

So if a foreign national takes a NRA course that's a crime?

When companies say "not for export", don't they mean they can't sell the item outside the US? The definition of "export" is "to ship (commodities) to other countries or places for sale, exchange, etc.

The op is asking about his family sending his optic to him. I don't see how export laws would apply to this.

Not for export, means that the object can not leave the US without permit/license for an exemption. ITAR doesn't care if you are sending to yourself or to a foreign national, that it is not permitted to leave the country.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I guess it's ok if he took it with him when he was deployed as I have heard of troops buying their own optics and taking them when deploying.