My son just turned 6.  He is very interested in guns.  Mostly nerf guns, making lego guns, playing cops and robbers and that sort of normal kid thing just like when we were kids.  He has seen my guns and knows he is not allowed to touch them.  I am considering buying a pellet gun to begin teaching him gun safety.  This kid already knows trigger awareness on his nerf guns.  We watch a show called Combat Pawn which is a badly acted pawn show based around guns.  On a recent episode an 8 year old girl was brought into the shop with her dad to get her first rifle (M&P 15-22). (BTW the show takes place in North or South Carolina).  SInce then My son repeatedly has been asking when he can get his first, when can he go shooting at the range, and all that sort of thing.  Now I have found online a pellet gun that mimics and rivals one of my own pistols.  Now is it bad because then I am showing a id how to properly function an actual pistol through a pellet gun, or is it responsible because I am teaching him to respect guns and gun safety.  The pellet gun would be locked in my safe and kept by me unless we are out plinking with it.  (Also he will learn the term plinking rather than "playing" because we don't play with guns).  I am just curious of other parents views on this type of thing.  My wife is on board because she knows I am responsible and thinks that this would be educational as well as bonding time .... your thoughts??

I don't have kids but did have a similar convo with another forum member not too long ago who was debating the same thing with his children.  He decided to go the bb/pellet gun route with his kids first to teach them gun safety and then move up to a .22 when he felt they were ready.  

Ok this cricket is awesome!  The question is where can you take a young kid to shoot?  I was reading reviews and the youngest I saw on there was a guy bought one for his 4 1/2 year old and one lady had bought her 5 and 7 year old one.... My kid is 6... i think he would friggen LOVE LOVE LOVE This!! 

Totally depends on the kid.  My daughter and I started shooting bb guns when she was 4.  She was calm and could listen to directions.  She was even a pretty good shot...for being 4 years old.

My son just started shooting a bb gun with me and he's 6.  A really great kid but his mind is all over the place.  He's a different personality than my daugher was and he just wasn't ready to pay attention as much as I want him to pay attention if he's shooting.  He's ready now.

For a 6 year old, a bb gun might as well be a 50bmg.  He's thrilled to shoot it and very proud when he gets a shot on the target.  

Both also shot .22 very soon after shooting the bb gun with me helping them hold it.  My daughter's 13 now and her interest in guns has waned.  She just rolls her eyes when I come home with a new gun.

I started my son at age four with a Marlin Little Buckeroo .22 single-shot.  Essentially Marlin's version of a Crickett.  We kept it on a Caldwell sand bag and I taught him bench rest.  You get more fun time that way since the arms don't wear-out from holding the rifle too long.  And he can concentrate on sight picture and trigger squeeze.  That was two decades ago now!  Kids deserve OUTDOOR ranges, instead of cramped quarters with magnum hand guns and .30 cal rifles blasting-away in the next port.  These bolt-action style rifles often accommodate .22 Shorts and .22 Longs in addition to .22 LR, making ammo somewhat easier to locate.  Since it isn't a mere BB gun, it's NEVER treated as a "toy".

If you want to "try before you buy", just PM me and I'll make arrangements to guest you and your son in at Old Bridge along with my son's Little Buckeroo.  You'll have a BLAST!

Dave

My son just turned 6.  He is very interested in guns.  Mostly nerf guns, making lego guns, playing cops and robbers and that sort of normal kid thing just like when we were kids.  He has seen my guns and knows he is not allowed to touch them.  I am considering buying a pellet gun to begin teaching him gun safety.  This kid already knows trigger awareness on his nerf guns.  We watch a show called Combat Pawn which is a badly acted pawn show based around guns.  On a recent episode an 8 year old girl was brought into the shop with her dad to get her first rifle (M&P 15-22). (BTW the show takes place in North or South Carolina).  SInce then My son repeatedly has been asking when he can get his first, when can he go shooting at the range, and all that sort of thing.  Now I have found online a pellet gun that mimics and rivals one of my own pistols.  Now is it bad because then I am showing a id how to properly function an actual pistol through a pellet gun, or is it responsible because I am teaching him to respect guns and gun safety.  The pellet gun would be locked in my safe and kept by me unless we are out plinking with it.  (Also he will learn the term plinking rather than "playing" because we don't play with guns).  I am just curious of other parents views on this type of thing.  My wife is on board because she knows I am responsible and thinks that this would be educational as well as bonding time .... your thoughts??

What a horrible parent you must be /jk

The fruitloops who believe that those activities lead to violent behavior need to go jump off a high bridge

What a horrible parent you must be /jk

The fruitloops who believe that those activities lead to violent behavior need to go jump off a high bridge

I know but it makes me slightly nervous beause my son is basically a lego ninja... he takes his sisters big blocks and makes his own versions of pistols and rifles... he sneaks around the house and hunts the dog. lol I am waiting for the phone call from the school outraged because of what my little ninja makes in art class... its only a matter of time... I hate that schools put such a fear of guns in children... I wish I lived in the era where gun safety was taught at shool!!

Wink wink,

I take my son to Stafford Forge WMA down Tuckerton way. You need a hunting license to use the range, but it is sunup to sundown, 365. Hunting license is very easy to get, just a 1 day course. I took mine out at Range 14.

I think an indoor range is a bit much for a newby... way too much noise and smoke. Go outside.

Another fun thing there is usually you are alone and can have a relaxing time at the range. You can shoot any targets you can think of, like food or old happy meal toys or old pots and pans. No handguns, only rimfires, muzzleloaders and shotguns. They now allow .17 there.

Wink wink,

I take my son to Stafford Forge WMA down Tuckerton way. You need a hunting license to use the range, but it is sunup to sundown, 365. Hunting license is very easy to get, just a 1 day course. I took mine out at Range 14.

I think an indoor range is a bit much for a newby... way too much noise and smoke. Go outside.

Another fun thing there is usually you are alone and can have a relaxing time at the range. You can shoot any targets you can think of, like food or old happy meal toys or old pots and pans. No handguns, only rimfires, muzzleloaders and shotguns. They now allow .17 there.

Haven't held a hunting license for almost 30 years, they would probably make me take the test again 

Took my 15 yr old grandson to Shore Shot yesterday afternoon, first time I've been there during the week, wasn't very busy ( only 4 or 5 lanes in use )

Definitely enjoyed it more than the weekends because of the lack of people, but we like noise and smoke

Got a big smile on my face seeing a couple of young Jewish women come in on their own and having a good time with .22 rental, see ladies there all the time, seeing these 2 just reaffirmed that it's fun for everyone

Haven't held a hunting license for almost 30 years, they would probably make me take the test again

Took my 15 yr old grandson to Shore Shot yesterday afternoon, first time I've been there during the week, wasn't very busy ( only 4 or 5 lanes in use )

Definitely enjoyed it more than the weekends because of the lack of people, but we like noise and smoke

Got a big smile on my face seeing a couple of young Jewish women come in on their own and having a good time with .22 rental, see ladies there all the time, seeing these 2 just reaffirmed that it's fun for everyone

Contact fish and wildlife. They can issue a new hunters ed card for you. Surprisingly very quick and painless for the state of NJ

I think "Age" is an arbratrary determiner,  Ability to listen, follow instructions and the patience you both possess are key. 

Does your child listen to you?

Can your child follow directions?

Can your child be patient while learning a new skill?

Can you be patient while teaching your child a new skill?

Do you think your child will be safe on the range?

Will your child be ok with the noise?

-----remember, their hearing isn't as damaged as ours so it's louder for them even with protection. 

If you can answer yes to all the above it may be time to think about a range trip. 

My son is 4, I'm getting things ready to bring him to the range soon.

I keep chamber flags in all my guns so I know with a glance they are not loaded. 

I taped a target to one of my gun cabinets.

When he comes with me to the gun room I will let him handle my guns - with my supervision.  I repeat the safety rules to him each time I bring him into the room.  Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction - the target is the safe direction.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot - he is doing well with that.  Keep the gun unloaded until your ready to shoot.  He hasn't yet handled a live gun so that hasn't been applied in a practical way. 

I have noticed that he is a lefty so I'm looking for a left handed gun or an ambidextores gun for him. 

I plan on getting a 22 for him and placing a red dot on it.  I'll sight the dot in on a trip without him so the gun is ready to go when I take him out. 

I think "Age" is an arbratrary determiner,  Ability to listen, follow instructions and the patience you both possess are key. 

Does your child listen to you?

Can your child follow directions?

Can your child be patient while learning a new skill?

Can you be patient while teaching your child a new skill?

Do you think your child will be safe on the range?

Will your child be ok with the noise?

-----remember, their hearing isn't as damaged as ours so it's louder for them even with protection. 

If you can answer yes to all the above it may be time to think about a range trip. 

My son is 4, I'm getting things ready to bring him to the range soon.

I keep chamber flags in all my guns so I know with a glance they are not loaded. 

I taped a target to one of my gun cabinets.

When he comes with me to the gun room I will let him handle my guns - with my supervision.  I repeat the safety rules to him each time I bring him into the room.  Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction - the target is the safe direction.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot - he is doing well with that.  Keep the gun unloaded until your ready to shoot.  He hasn't yet handled a live gun so that hasn't been applied in a practical way. 

I have noticed that he is a lefty so I'm looking for a left handed gun or an ambidextores gun for him. 

I plan on getting a 22 for him and placing a red dot on it.  I'll sight the dot in on a trip without him so the gun is ready to go when I take him out. 

GREAT post!  I did everything you just described, sans the red dot.  Never wanted to tell him "we ran out of battery juice" (or ammo for that matter).  My son was also 4 at the time--that was 20 years ago!  Doing the safety at home is the way it should be.  It all boils-down to their attention span and YOUR ability to teach correctly and watch for signs of fatigue.  Picking the right time of the day is also key.  Never try to do it when they need their nap OR you're upset from one of life's little problems (car trouble, big deadline at work, etc.).  Both folks should be relaxed and ready to have some fun together.  Keeping it fun, but with a recurring SAFETY theme is the ideal way to go, just like I envision you doing it!  Excellent job, and please report back on your results!

Dave

Ok this cricket is awesome! The question is where can you take a young kid to shoot? I was reading reviews and the youngest I saw on there was a guy bought one for his 4 1/2 year old and one lady had bought her 5 and 7 year old one.... My kid is 6... i think he would friggen LOVE LOVE LOVE This!!

RTSP in Randolph, from what ive heard there are no age restrictions. I'm a member next time I go ill ask the guys there what if any restrictions they have on kids and age.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Medic, You simply affirmed my choice to get the bb gun for now. 

So an update, in many areas all over the state, last night was National Night Out.  I have family that wotrks some of the events... one event being a bb gun shooting gallery plinking target turkeys and dangling cans.  My son did not want to leave that area. He did it 3 times and listened to the RO (for lack of a better term), followed ALL safety precautions to a T and had the time of his life and it is all he talked about today.  He is DEF going to be getting into the sport very soon.  Thanks for all the great input