FLHX

Starting Saiga conversion soon any Suggestions?

So I have been reading the Saiga forum for awhile now and the Saiga conversion docs on this forum and I am pretty confident that I can get this done without to many headaches. The Saiga that will be converted is a 7.62x39

I have ordered most of the parts from Dinzag Arms and I am waiting on the gas tube to come in. I am going to go with wood stock and furniture from Timbersmith,  I think the black laminate is what I will go with. I like the wood look but the red is too much the brown is nice but the black just screams buy me!!

http://rrages.com/stocks/762stockset/index.htm

So if anyone has some tips or tricks before I start this in the near future I would like to hear them. This is my first try at the AK build, I have done a couple of AR's and so I thought I could handle this. We shall see!!

The hardest part for me was to drill and thread a hole in the receiver chamber for the bullet guide. The metal is extremely hard and using a drill press in a must to keep your hole straight and to keep your tools lined up with the hole. You have to clean the metal shavings constantly when drilling and then tapping and go a little at a time or the bit and/or tap may break off in the hole.

Hey! I am in the same boat. My furinture parts from kvar are coming and I have the trigger group to be ordered this Friday. For mags, I am going the no bullet guide approach and just using 15 round SGM mags. I know that they are more expensive than the surplus ones but while living in this state, I don't feel like dealing with the mag pinning, ect. etc...

If I move to a free state, I will then do the bullet guide modification. That's my approach. Good luck!

Personally, I dislike how timbersmith furniture looks.

Do you have any other sites that have wood furniture? Whats your preference in furniture? I will definately be doing wood so if you have a good place let me know, I am not totally hooked on the timbersmith stuff but it seems to be the nicest I have seen so far without going crazy...

So I have been reading the Saiga forum for awhile now and the Saiga conversion docs on this forum and I am pretty confident that I can get this done without to many headaches. The Saiga that will be converted is a 7.62x39

I have ordered most of the parts from Dinzag Arms and I am waiting on the gas tube to come in. I am going to go with wood stock and furniture from Timbersmith,  I think the black laminate is what I will go with. I like the wood look but the red is too much the brown is nice but the black just screams buy me!!

http://rrages.com/stocks/762stockset/index.htm

So if anyone has some tips or tricks before I start this in the near future I would like to hear them. This is my first try at the AK build, I have done a couple of AR's and so I thought I could handle this. We shall see!!

Here is another vendor that sells timbersmith, I went with them and it was shipped very fast.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/STT-TIM06000.html

Another option would be Ironwood designs.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWSaiga_2.html

Take your time with the project and ask a question if you are not sure about something.

Do you have any other sites that have wood furniture? Whats your preference in furniture? I will definately be doing wood so if you have a good place let me know, I am not totally hooked on the timbersmith stuff but it seems to be the nicest I have seen so far without going crazy...

Another option would be Ironwood designs.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWSaiga_2.html

Take your time with the project and ask a question if you are not sure about something.

this is the wood I will be using.  looking to build a show piece and having Combloc Customs do the staining of the wood. 

gonna have the full front end converted, also adding a slanted brake, cleaning rod and a new FSB.

I am also doing mine, I ordered Ironwood furniture and had them send it to Combloc Customs to do refinishing, they told me about 6 weeks to get them. I'm doing Russian Rust, but I think I like combloc red better now.

FYI if anyone still looking for a Saiga 7.62, Tanners got in 20 of them today $475 each if you mention facebook ad

I just completed step 1a. of my conversion. (Removal of trigger group, guard and paint.)

I drilled out the 5 rivets and removed all the internals along with the old trigger guard.

I then prepped the under side of the receiver where the trigger guard was and painted it with rustoleum satin black rattle can.

It took more time prepping and setting up then it did to complete this. I'd say drilling out the rivets took 10 minutes tops. My trigger group stuff should be here from CSS tomorrow or Thursday. By the weekend the PG conversion should be complete concluding conversion Step 1.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done. :)

I plan on tackling this on a 223 very soon. No bullet guide needed. I have pinned 30 round sgm mags. Gotts print out all the docs and get the parts ordered

given any thought to AR mags... it was kind of a pain in the ass to setup.. but one of my favorite guns I ever put together was my AR mag fed Saiga.. 

given any thought to AR mags... it was kind of a pain in the ass to setup.. but one of my favorite guns I ever put together was my AR mag fed Saiga..

i did. Just couldnt find anybody local to do it and didnt want to deal with shipping and waiting. I would really love to use ar mags since i have so many of them

i did. Just couldnt find anybody local to do it and didnt want to deal with shipping and waiting. I would really love to use ar mags since i have so many of them

oh right I remember that.... 

if I am ever going to be in the NJ area.. ill let you know ahead of time.. buy the adapter and I will do it for you.. 

I have a question on mags for a Saiga.  I will be converting a x39 in a little while but my question is. What mags seem to work best with the Saiga conversion?

saiga and surefire mags with no bullet guide

mil surp AK mags if you install a bullet guide

oh right I remember that....

if I am ever going to be in the NJ area.. ill let you know ahead of time.. buy the adapter and I will do it for you..

honestly..i would bring it to you if you would do it. I wouldnt mind a trip to pennsy. Where is the best place to buy the adapter

honestly..i would bring it to you if you would do it. I wouldnt mind a trip to pennsy. Where is the best place to buy the adapter

I will take a look around.. the person I ordered mine from is hit or miss... sometimes he disappears for lengthy periods of time... lol ...

there is another company that makes one that is supposedly better than the one I used.. but I think it requires you to send the gun to them... 

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/threads/125000-REVIEW-Definitive-Arms-223-Saiga-AK-conversion-with-AR-mag-adapter-and-LRBHO

edit

this is far superior to the mod I did..

http://www.definitivearms.com/

Carl looks good!! did you shoot it before you did the conversion? I want to get a feel of it before and after. I haven't started mine yet as I am doing it with my son and he has been busy working and chasing skirts! I wasn't in a hurry but now that I see yours and Now I want to start.

Carl looks good!! did you shoot it before you did the conversion? I want to get a feel of it before and after. I haven't started mine yet as I am doing it with my son and he has been busy working and chasing skirts! I was in a hurry but now that I see yours and Now I want to start.

I have not fired it yet. Now I will take it to the range. I am going to do the entire front end conversion as well. Attempting an AK 103 clone. :)

I have not fired it yet. Now I will take it to the range. I am going to do the entire front end conversion as well. Attempting an AK 103 clone. :)

Is yours 5.45 or 7.62? I think is the same process either way, I think if all goes well and I like the platform, I will do a 5.45 next