liquidskin

NJ state forest campsite defense

Usually I camp out of state (ccw friendly) and have my handgun on me, but I'm going to be doing a camping trip at a nj state forest shortly. To the best of my knowledge, keeping my shotgun in my tent would be a no-no. Being that it's just my fiance and I, I get nervous of unscrupulous characters and having to defend us if anything were to ever go down. No different from being at our house, but there I have access to weapons... So since we are stripped of our rights in our own state, curious what you guys would do in these situations. I'm thinking pepper spray and maybe a bat or something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A small hatchet for firewood if car camping or if backpacking and watching weight in my pack, a large can of bear spray. It's like a liter I want to say and sprays 30 feet. I've tried it out before and it's pretty impressive. 

I always carry a decent sized buck knife for general work as well.

Are you sure about the shotgun being a no-no? The NJ FID is basically a carry permit for a long arm, exempting us from the restrictions we have with handguns. Most shotguns can be broken down by removing the barrel, making them easy to stuff in a bag and easy to reassemble in a tent.

Are you sure about the shotgun being a no-no? The NJ FID is basically a carry permit for a long arm, exempting us from the restrictions we have with handguns. Most shotguns can be broken down by removing the barrel, making them easy to stuff in a bag and easy to reassemble in a tent.

Chris, I think if its a state park, it is a no-no unless its a designated hunting area

I'm pretty sure NJ State park regulations prohibit possession of firearms. I'd look for the citation, but I'm on my phone.

Firearms — A person shall not possess or discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring people or wildlife. Hunters in compliance with Division of Fish and Wildlife hunting laws are exempted. Target practice is prohibited.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/camprules.html

Firearms — A person shall not possess or discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring people or wildlife. Hunters in compliance with Division of Fish and Wildlife hunting laws are exempted. Target practice is prohibited.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/camprules.html

Shifty New Jersey. It figures.

Isnt camping in a National Park different though?  I thought i remembered reading that if you can lawfully possess a weapon in the state you reside in then you may also possess it in a national park.....please correct me if im wrong.  Cuz i could be.  lol

National Parks and firearms:

http://www.nps.gov/policy/FAQ.pdf

Q. Can I have a firearm in every park after February 22, 2010?
A. No. If you can legally possess a firearm in the state in which the national park in located, you can
possess it in that park on and after February 22, 2010. It is up to visitors to understand the
requirements of federal law and the laws of the states/localities they live in and are travelling to (or
through). Park websites offer basic information about the applicable state law(s) and will generally
include a link to a state website with more information.

Q. Can I take a firearm anywhere I go in the park?
A. No. Federal law prohibits firearms in “federal facilities,” which are generally defined as federallyowned
or -leased buildings where federal employees work on a regular basis. Buildings that meet this
definition will have signs posted at public entrances noting the prohibition on firearms. In addition,
privately-owned or -operated facilities within park boundaries may not allow firearms, consistent with
the laws of that state.

Q. I have a permit from my home state to carry a concealed firearm, does that allow me to carry
a firearm in a state I am visiting?

A. Some permits are recognized in multiple states, many are not. It is up to the individual to know
which states accept his or her concealed carry permit.

3/4 oz of pepper/mace is the limit for person to person defense. The larger can if bear spray is ok to have when you need defense for bears. It's all in the intention. When camping anywhere in nj I would be concerned about bears so its ok to carry bear spray when camping but if you are asked you have it for bears and not to protect yourself and your girl from humans

I read this advice years ago:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear encounters, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, backpackers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears.

We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing so that the bears are not startled unexpectedly by a human's presence.  We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity.  Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop.  Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.  Grizzly bear poop smells like pepper and has little bells in it.

Montana Grizzly Bear Notice 

How much of a threat do you think you will encounter while camping?  In your home, you have plenty of goods that someone may want.  While camping... I would give up your percolator and call it a day.

Me = New to guns, but I have 32 years of Martial Arts training (I am 36).  I tell people... run or give the perps what they want. 

How much of a threat do you think you will encounter while camping?  In your home, you have plenty of goods that someone may want.  While camping... I would give up your percolator and call it a day.

Me = New to guns, but I have 32 years of Martial Arts training (I am 36).  I tell people... run or give the perps what they want. 

Your Jedi mind tricks may not work on bears.

Yea, because people don't hurt or kill people just for fun... that never happens ....

How much of a threat do you think you will encounter while camping? In your home, you have plenty of goods that someone may want. While camping... I would give up your percolator and call it a day.

Me = New to guns, but I have 32 years of Martial Arts training (I am 36). I tell people... run or give the perps what they want.

We can't all be Chuck Norris. This is a gun forum. We believe in protecting our LIVES (not possessions) with lethal weapons. My hands don't qualify, therefore my hatchet, buck knife and pepper spray were always within reach.

I have spent several hundred nights in state parks in nj/pa/and on the AT, and have never once had an issue. Meet a weird person? Move on, or speak with one of the several rangers that you will meet asking you about booze or making sure your campfire is in spec.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I have spent several hundred nights in state parks in nj/pa/and on the AT, and have never once had an issue. Meet a weird person? Move on, or speak with one of the several rangers that you will meet asking you about booze or making sure your campfire is in spec.

Here are some actual numbers:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/06/2012-offered-mixed-bag-crime-national-parks23464