Kingsoverqueens

Argh....Stove Pipe!

The need to carry monoxides outside your home so you do not die! ;)

Bad springs, bad ammo, etc.

Need more input! ---- Johnny Five!

Johnny Five is Alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OK, here is the 411.

M&P Pro 9. 

Hand loaded ammo

125 GR RN (cast)

4.1 +/- N320

1.125+/- COAL

VFPS right around 1,000

Countless rounds fired through this gun at higher and lower velocity FPS and never a stove pipe.  It did happen once before with my 92FS, and I'm thinking that perhaps just a bad loaded round?  I've loaded close 5,000 rounds so far and it's happened twice that I recall, once (last night) with the M&P and once (I think) with the 92, but I'm not 100% sure.

Weak ammo, bad or.hummed up extractor, bent ejector. Need more info.on gun model, round count, ammo.

Edit: All these replies came in since the original question. Check the extractor. I once had those inexplicable stovepipe problems with an old CZ, and it turned out the extractor was so full of crud that it stopped being able to grab as good a hold of the shell for extraction. 

125 grains @ 1000fps does not seem like a cream puff load, so I am guessing that it is not underpowered. 

My son was operating the firearm.

I will discuss the possibility of limp wristing with him tonight.  It would be out of character for him, but given that this shot was the final round in chrono session and could very well have been the cause.  I'll also check out the extractor but I doubt that his the case.  This kid keeps the gun clean. 

OK, here is the 411.

M&P Pro 9. 

Hand loaded ammo

125 GR RN (cast)

4.1 +/- N320

1.125+/- COAL

VFPS right around 1,000

Countless rounds fired through this gun at higher and lower velocity FPS and never a stove pipe.  It did happen once before with my 92FS, and I'm thinking that perhaps just a bad loaded round?  I've loaded close 5,000 rounds so far and it's happened twice that I recall, once (last night) with the M&P and once (I think) with the 92, but I'm not 100% sure.

When did you chrono that load? IF the powder is temp sensitive, you may be losing some velocity. Unless you replaced the stock recoil spring with a 13lb spring, you are heading towards the floor of reliable function. Using 165gr jaceketed in my .40, about 115pf was where reliability became very dependant on good form. About 90pf was where you could try all you like, but you were going to get failures at frequent intervals regardless of technique. 

As others have said, limp wristing could do it, but with the M&P it'll get you whacked in the head with brass unless you are REALLY off usually successful form. However, I wouldn't discount contributing factors making it more sensitive to limp wristing especially with the fairly sudden drop in temps. If you chronoed on a nice high 80s day with the mags in sunlight for a bit, you could have had a nice boost to velocity. 

I've seen people say n320 is reverse sensitive, normal sensitive, and not particularly sensitive to temp, so you know... something you would have to check yourself. 

IT could also just be that the trigger didn't break where he expected it to break because of a brain fart, and recoil preparation sent him into full spaz mode. It happens sometimes, even if you have been doing this for a while. 

When did you chrono that load?

The stove piped round was the one I chrono'd.  This happened yesterday, 6ish...low 80's, low humidity. 

I just made a mental note of the VFPS and then checked on the gun and Andrew because we were both surprised at the stove pipe.  It's an odd occurance and we'll have to see if it happens again.

2 FTE out of 5000 rds means your ammo is 99.9996% reliable. Nothing really s 100%. You might have the same failures if you used factory ammo. If you're using this for practice ammo look at it as a training opportunity in clearing a FTE. If you're using thi for SD ammo have a plan B which you should always have.

OK, here is the 411.

M&P Pro 9

Hand loaded ammo

125 GR RN (cast)

4.1 +/- N320

1.125+/- COAL

VFPS right around 1,000

I highlighted your problem...shoulda got a Glock bro!!! :maninlove:

Weak ammo, bad or.hummed up extractor, bent ejector. Need more info.on gun model, round count, ammo.

Edit: All these replies came in since the original question. Check the extractor. I once had those inexplicable stovepipe problems with an old CZ, and it turned out the extractor was so full of crud that it stopped being able to grab as good a hold of the shell for extraction. 

125 grains @ 1000fps does not seem like a cream puff load, so I am guessing that it is not underpowered. 

its funny you say this..  im having this issue with my CZ..   (and CZ has already replaced the extractor with a Wolff +5% extractor)...

1) one stove pipe is not worth your worry, ask again later if it keeps happening.

2) the cz thing could be the profile of the ejector. There is a possible error condition on the cz platform depending on fit. Mine picked up this issue after about 20k rounds. I had replaced barrel, extractor, etc and problem remained until I reprofiled the ejector

This whole conversation over 1 stove pipe??   

Although I can't recall ever getting an actual stove pipe out of any of my 1911's one instance would not worry me 1 bit

Shoot, reload, repeat -- be worried if you get a FTE every mag