Sign in to follow this  
MartyZ

might have to move to ny

I might have to move to ny because of my job, NOT NYC thank god. I know that cuomo just passed an awb but reading the new law it does not appear that the ny ban, aside from mag capacity, is more strict than nj. The question is, can I keep all my nj legal guns if I move to ny?

I read somewhere that you can register an "assault weapon" by april 2014

Correct. That's the deadline. (Or you convert every item to that abomination titled "this thing.") Registration means you will be the last owner in-state. You cannot will, sell or transfer to a family member when you die. (Planned obsolescence.)

Any handguns would need a permit and they will be registered as well. I heard residents from Suffolk County have been told a minimum of 18 mos. now as the wait time for a handgun permit. (And that's just for transport/use/for home, etc.)  

It remains to be seen how many people will actually register their "assault weapons." Notice that there are no stories, headlines, news bits as to a status of how many have been registered so far since the law was enacted?

I read somewhere that you can register an "assault weapon" by april 2014

IIRC you had to own them before the safe act was passed back in January. I would imagine this would mean own them as a NY resident before January, so you may not be able to bring them and register them now - look into it. Your handguns will need to be registered and you will probably have to send them to an FFL to hold them until you get your NY handgun permit to keep them in your house - these permits need to be renewed every 5 years or they will come looking for you.

IIRC you had to own them before the safe act was passed back in January. I would imagine this would mean own them as a NY resident before January, so you may not be able to bring them and register them now - look into it. Your handguns will need to be registered and you will probably have to send them to an FFL to hold them until you get your NY handgun permit to keep them in your house - these permits need to be renewed every 5 years or they will come looking for you.

I wasn't thinking of that. I believe you are right.

Depending on how bad you want to keep them, and how much risk you are willing to take, there are "options". You'll never be able to shoot them, or even look at them, as long as you're in NY,but you'll still have them for when you move again.

Fully disassemble them, spread parts for any one gun across a couple of different containers. Pack/lube/seal everything up for long term storage. Put the parts in lead lined heavy duty boxes/containers. Make sure the boxes have multiple heavy duty locking options, preferably things the police could not remove or defeat without destroying them. Be sure the boxes give no indication of contents. Never tell anyone what is in them. Keep said box well hidden, in your basement/attic/etc.. Don't get into any other legal "trouble", which might give them cause to search or get a warrant to open the box(es).

"They" can't open the box without probable cause, even if they knew you had a mystery box of some kind. With multiple heavy duty locks, no "plain sight" screw job. With the lead lining, no sneaky non-destructive peeking (via a "secret" warrant or search when you aren't home), via x-ray. A substantial layer of thermal insulation should also thwart any attempt to identify the contents via thermal imaging.

Whether or not it is worth all the effort depends on a.) How much you value the guns you would have to give up, and whether or not you would want to eventually pass them down to someone., and b.) Do you plan on moving out of NY state later, so as to be able to enjoy them again in the future? If you forsee spending many years there, it may not serve much purpose to keep them.

I feel for you. I had moved from NYC to NJ and back 5 times in my life. Each time I moved to NYC, I sold off all of my guns. That did not encourage keeping a large gun collection so I usually just had one home defense gun. Sometimes I just gave the guns away to friends.

I work in paramus, but the property taxes are to high there. Moving to pa would obviously be the best choice but I would have a similar commute.

Pennsylvania property taxes are lower. Pennsylvania car insurance rates are lower. Pennsylvania has a 3.07% flat income tax rate.

From a 2A perspective, there are about a bazillion reasons why living in Pennsylvania would be a better place to live than either New York or New Jersey.

Pennsylvania property taxes are lower. Pennsylvania car insurance rates are lower. Pennsylvania has a 3.07% flat income tax rate.

From a 2A perspective, there are about a bazillion reasons why living in Pennsylvania would be a better place to live than either New York or New Jersey.

You're correct. If the commute is the same, I'd move to PA because you'll save a bundle. Car insurance alone was $4200 less for our family. I don't want to give away my income, but moving out of NJ and paying PA income tax, I'm saving more than I did with the car insurance. Private schooling is a lot less...why? I have no idea and it was better. Property taxes are about the same for me, but I have more property and bigger home...add all those up and we were WELL over $12,000 to $15,000 per year. Also (for the time being) carrying all the time is nice and simply going to a gun shop and buying what you want is pretty cool too.

One thing, I don't know how NY and PA work their income taxes. I think you'd pay the NY tax either way whether you live in NJ, NY or PA...double check that.

I work in paramus, but the property taxes are to high there. Moving to pa would obviously be the best choice but I would have a similar commute.

To get somehow more reasonable property taxes, you will have to go West at least to Morris/Sussex counties. 

The Route 80 commute to Paramus is a grind. Did it for 20 years from Delaware Water Gap area to Wayne area.  What I saved in RE Taxes, I spent on cars, gas, insurance, and maintenance.  Would I do it again, Hell yes.  I have more than I could image in NE NJ.  But it takes its toll.  No less than you are probably doing now.  Still, I know people here and in Monroe County, PA, that commute daily to NYC because what their dollar buys here. Have a  friend in Beechwood, NJ goes to West Orange every day cause the shore is where it's at for him.  We all have to find that comfort zone.  Remember, no job is worth your sanity.