mge_1

Stack-On 14 Gun Fire Resistant Security Safe w/Electronic Lock (Black)

I'm in the market for an entry level fire proof safe and found this one at Walmart.com.  Online reviews looks to be good overall and it has a 30 min fire resistant rating at 1400 degrees.  Any feedback from folks who might have the same safe?  Thanks.

$397 w/free shipping

Stack-On 14 Gun Fire Resistant Security Safe with Electronic Lock FS-14-MB-E Matte Black
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-14-Gun-Fire-Resistant-Security-Safe-with-Electronic-Lock-FS-14-MB-E-Matte-Black/16637375

I  had one of those but It really was way to small, If you have any scoped rifles you wont get much in it, I had a AR, 2 sks , a 30/30 and a 22 rifle in their and it was super tight with them banging into each other constantly,

I know its not a safe but I have been looking for one of these and the shipping always kills it... found for 350.00 and 50 bucks to ship to NJ. Best price i have found in a year. 

http://www.calranch.com/sporting-goods/safes/16-31-gun-security-cabinet

I had one of those but It really was way to small, If you have any scoped rifles you wont get much in it, I had a AR, 2 sks , a 30/30 and a 22 rifle in their and it was super tight with them banging into each other constantly,

I put all of mine in gun socks and got some more guns in there. Now they can all lean on each other without causing damage.

I  had one of those but It really was way to small, If you have any scoped rifles you wont get much in it, I had a AR, 2 sks , a 30/30 and a 22 rifle in their and it was super tight with them banging into each other constantly,

I don't have much of a collection so I think the size will be ok for now.

I know its not a safe but I have been looking for one of these and the shipping always kills it... found for 350.00 and 50 bucks to ship to NJ. Best price i have found in a year. 

http://www.calranch.com/sporting-goods/safes/16-31-gun-security-cabinet

I'm looking for one that is fire resistant but thanks.

I have one and I agree.^^^^^^^^

I got a 16 gun fireproof Field & Steam from Dick's Soorting goods - similar specs to what you have there.

They put them on sale, the price will drop to $499 (regular $600), I took their application for a Dick's credit card and knocked the price down to 450 - ( my intention was to kill the credit card, but so far paying the balance there are no charges, and I've been using it for "shooting stuff" only, I'm seeing enough discounts, bonus points, and cash backs to keep me interested, not to mention they typically have a better selection of ammo than most of the gun shops ( I haven't ventured to Internet guns or ammo yet).

Bottom line, I am very happy with my 16 gun safe, the only issue I have is I can see myself growing out of it shortly.

I have one and its fine. For now at least. I have a scoped 22 with a bipod, a 30-30 lever, a 870 12 ga and a browning A-5. They all fit on one side and the other side I use for ammo.

Moving it was easy too. Took the door off, borrowed a appliance cart w/strap, and the wife was able to help me bring it up 12 carpeted steps.

The lock is great, and comes with 2 Skelton keys. I have them hidden throughout the house jus in case. It can be programmed easily with 3 or 4 digits.

Mine isn't bolted down yet but it should be fairly easy.

The 14 gun gets cramped, but for the price I paid $350, ill just get another one when I need it.

I am in the middle of researching "safes".

MOST safes are nothing more than 10 or 12 gauge steel metal boxes which provide a false sense of security.  The doors are usually a bit more reinforced but whats it matter when the walls can be hacked through with an axe.

lC94RX3.jpg

o8welGX.jpg

"Its better than nothing".  If there are children, then yes.  With regards to theft, maybe not.  A safe is like a bullseye and if they can be easily accessed, whats the point.  Probably just as well to stash your items depending on your home.

But you wont get real security until you reach a TL-15 level.  Though some of the Fort Knox’s can be custom reinforced. 

All that having been said, one of the aspects to consider is weight.  That’s a 300lb safe for $400 which isn’t bad.

For $600 delivered you could get this 420lb Costco special:

http://www.costco.com/.product.11625662.html?&EMID=B2C_2013_1003_OctoberMVM 

A friend of mine just ordered one.

I have one and its fine. For now at least. I have a scoped 22 with a bipod, a 30-30 lever, a 870 12 ga and a browning A-5. They all fit on one side and the other side I use for ammo. Moving it was easy too. Took the door off, borrowed a appliance cart w/strap, and the wife was able to help me bring it up 12 carpeted steps. The lock is great, and comes with 2 Skelton keys. I have them hidden throughout the house jus in case. It can be programmed easily with 3 or 4 digits. Mine isn't bolted down yet but it should be fairly easy. The 14 gun gets cramped, but for the price I paid $350, ill just get another one when I need it.

Thx for the feedback. I was thinking the same.

I have the costco "big horn" safe. just got it a few months ago. I have to say i Love it. while it's not a FORT KNOX or a LIBERTY safe it will get the job done. As with anything... if they want to get in it, they will. The weight and size of the costco safe were just what i needed to fit where i wanted it to go.

Prior to the costco safe i had the 14 gun Stack on safe you are asking about. I had 4 AR's in there as well as a Mossberg tactical 500. Space was tight IMO. but i like to have a little space in there... i don't like the rifles touching in there. but it was what fit my needs and budget at the time. I also had 2 Homak Security cabinets that a form member bought from me that i used to hold parts and ammo.  Now that i have the Costco safe, i use the Stack on to hold ammo. I built in some shelves to organize the various calibers.

I'm a bit neurotic i guess when it comes to the key pads. Even though they have key back up's I change the batteries every other month.

Both safes have their place and are a great "starting point" IMO.

Good luck with your purchase! 

I have the costco "big horn" safe. just got it a few months ago. I have to say i Love it. while it's not a FORT KNOX or a LIBERTY safe it will get the job done. As with anything... if they want to get in it, they will. The weight and size of the costco safe were just what i needed to fit where i wanted it to go.

Prior to the costco safe i had the 14 gun Stack on safe you are asking about. I had 4 AR's in there as well as a Mossberg tactical 500. Space was tight IMO. but i like to have a little space in there... i don't like the rifles touching in there. but it was what fit my needs and budget at the time. I also had 2 Homak Security cabinets that a form member bought from me that i used to hold parts and ammo.  Now that i have the Costco safe, i use the Stack on to hold ammo. I built in some shelves to organize the various calibers.

I'm a bit neurotic i guess when it comes to the key pads. Even though they have key back up's I change the batteries every other month.

Both safes have their place and are a great "starting point" IMO.

Good luck with your purchase! 

I have the in-wall cabinet already and looking for my first fire resistant safe.   Glad to know it's a good starting point.  Thx