checko

Permit turnaround

We give a lot of crap to the townships and PD's that take forever for our permits to come back.  I just want to applaud Hillsborough for about a 3 week turnaround.   

My references never got their letters and I was about to call and ask if the secretary (who is great btw) if she ever received the application but she left a message today on my cell to come pick them up.

All in all, with the exception of a snotty young dispatcher, very easy process. 

5 months? WTF...

I was told 8-12 weeks here in Hunterdon County. So far I'm 4 weeks in and my reference just got there letters...

Congrats to the OP! What do you plan on buying?

Don't see why Hillsborough can do so quick and leave y'all out in the cold. Spoke to our chief briefly and seems like a nice guy.

I really want the 5" PPQ but it dorsnt seem to be coming out any time soon. I may get the 4" and buy the 5" barrel/slide later if it fits.

I'm probably gonna take over my gf's pk380 also since she never uses it. She wants a 4" .357 and a ppk/s

5 months? WTF...

I was told 8-12 weeks here in Hunterdon County. So far I'm 4 weeks in and my reference just got there letters...

Congrats to the OP! What do you plan on buying?

NJSP quotes 2-3 months but in actuality takes 5-6 months. 

If your having trouble with long wait times you need to start making formal complaints. Just keep going to the next higher authority until someone listens. This is especially important to follow up even after you get your permits if you have been waiting months and months. Otherwise you will have the same problem next time. They often hand you your permits when you start complaining so your complaint doesn't go any further.

It is in the law pretty clearly that it must be 30days and hopefully someone along the line will respect that.

It's all about the people. My Example: I was always getting permits in about ~30days when a sergeant was doing it. He got promoted to Lt to oversee permits and other stuff and there was some new officer straight from the academy doing permits. My wait time doubled for my next set of permits. After I didn't get my permits in 30 days I started making calls. New permit guy wasn't interested in what i was saying. I went to the LT politely and told him that the new guy was doing an unacceptable job and stated the past wait times and the law. LT told him something and now my permits are back at about ~30 days. If the Lt didnt help me I would have requested a meeting with the chief and so on.

It's often too late to help your current wait time but I think the overall wait time for everyone and the next wait time for you can be improved with formal compalints.

Part of the problem is the units are understaffed and funded and part is that some officers doing it just don't care or even know the law.

People in higher positions even sergeants usually care much more and are more squared away.

Yup, Hillsborough PD is awesome. My initial FID with one pistol permit took exactly 6 weeks. My wife's initial FID and one pistol permit took exactly 7 weeks (I blame my wife for the 7 weeks because she took her time to schedule her finger print appointment) My additional pistol permits (received yesterday) took only 5 weeks and 1 day. Yup, the chief here in town is really nice. I've met him a few times. 

If your having trouble with long wait times you need to start making formal complaints. Just keep going to the next higher authority until someone listens. This is especially important to follow up even after you get your permits if you have been waiting months and months. Otherwise you will have the same problem next time. They often hand you your permits when you start complaining so your complaint doesn't go any further.

It is in the law pretty clearly that it must be 30days and hopefully someone along the line will respect that.

It's all about the people. My Example: I was always getting permits in about ~30days when a sergeant was doing it. He got promoted to Lt to oversee permits and other stuff and there was some new officer straight from the academy doing permits. My wait time doubled for my next set of permits. After I didn't get my permits in 30 days I started making calls. New permit guy wasn't interested in what i was saying. I went to the LT politely and told him that the new guy was doing an unacceptable job and stated the past wait times and the law. LT told him something and now my permits are back at about ~30 days. If the Lt didnt help me I would have requested a meeting with the chief and so on.

It's often too late to help your current wait time but I think the overall wait time for everyone and the next wait time for you can be improved with formal compalints.

Part of the problem is the units are understaffed and funded and part is that some officers doing it just don't care or even know the law.

People in higher positions even sergeants usually care much more and are more squared away.

That is exactly what I did last time.  I called, emailed and wrote to the state AG, NJSP superintendent, the governor,  the LT governor and my local state representatives.  I guess that trimmed it down from 6 months to 5 and 1/2.

That is exactly what I did last time.  I called, emailed and wrote to the state AG, NJSP superintendent, the governor,  the LT governor and my local state representatives.  I guess that trimmed it down from 6 months to 5 and 1/2.

Did they follow up? What became of those attempts? I think the complaints work better for towns. The NJSP sucks with permits and they really won't listen to anything execpt what they wanna do.

2013/06/05 I put in for 3 at Berkeley Heights.

2013/08/12 I received them.

I was making A LOT of calls end of July/early August to the sgt in charge of the process.  There were... delays.

I need to see if I can figure out when I had the last set done and see if that's the "normal" delay for my town.

edit:  I realized I should add... the sgt in charge seems like a good guy.  he's easy to talk to, is frustrated by the whole process himself and seems to actually care that it gets done when it's supposed to get done.

Question for you people who received permits with quick turnaround - did you ever live in Passaic County? From what I heard the county adjuster's office is having a big delay in turning around mental health records. 

I filed for permits at NJSP on 10/2. My references got and returned their questionnaire last week (they are gun owners too). 

Now I wait but I've heard about delays stretching for 5-6 months. 

Did they follow up? What became of those attempts? I think the complaints work better for towns. The NJSP sucks with permits and they really won't listen to anything execpt what they wanna do.

The only follow up I received were from my pro-2A state representatives. 

The only follow up I received were from my pro-2A state representatives.

You have the right to file complaints in writing and or contact internal affairs to start an investigation. 

Thats up to you of course, but they can't ignore that, they must respond to your request.

I never had to contact them for my issues. Mine was resolved fairly easily with a supervisor. Just stating that if you need it the option is there for you, and if anything, even the NJSP can't aviod that. I figure you can attempt to fight the firearms unit bureaucracy by giving them some internal affiars bureaucracy. It's a huge pita but you don't have many options in terms of recourse.

I never had to contact them for my issues. Mine was resolved fairly easily with a supervisor. Just stating that if you need it the option is there for you, and if anything, even the NJSP can't aviod that. I figure you can attempt to fight the firearms unit bureaucracy by giving them some internal affiars bureaucracy. It's a huge pita but you don't have many options in terms of recourse.

I have spoken to an NJSP supervisor from the firearms Investigation unit.  He basically told me that the long lead time is a function of the increased demand across the entire system and the lack of manpower or ability to authorize overtime.  He was very sympathetic but in the end basically told me that they were working as quickly as they could and the delay was because demand was 4 times higher than it has been in the past. 

Question for you people who received permits with quick turnaround - did you ever live in Passaic County? From what I heard the county adjuster's office is having a big delay in turning around mental health records.

I filed for permits at NJSP on 10/2. My references got and returned their questionnaire last week (they are gun owners too).

Now I wait but I've heard about delays stretching for 5-6 months.

I lived in Passaic Co a few years ago.

My address change last year took from late August to mid February. I put in for permits in June. Everything was ready to go in about 30 days, except for Passaic Co mental health. Still waiting...