Holeshot

Another shooting at Heritage Guild tonight

Sadly it looks like another suicide.

Sadly? If somebody is going to be killed at a range, I'd prefer a suicide over any other scenario. Of course, it is still very sad and a bummer.

Honestly, when I read the title, I thought it was a robbery in the parking lot. I've been in that store and that parking lot. There are a lot of people with a lot of guns that do not carry, if you catch my drift.

I assume they have the "bring your own gun or we only rent to a party of two" rule?

I assume they have the "bring your own gun or we only rent to a party of two" rule?

No such rule, as of two weeks ago. I've gone by myself and rented.  After this, I'm not sure, but I hope not. I just purchased a 1 year membership with them.

I was solo today and rented a LC9, but I am also a member so, not sure about if they have a rule for non members

BTW the LC9 stock trigger blows monkey nuts

My first time there I was a "non-member" and rented. The 2nd time, I started the membership on the spot and rented. 

That may change, though, now.   :(

No such rule, as of two weeks ago. I've gone by myself and rented.  After this, I'm not sure, but I hope not. I just purchased a 1 year membership with them.

I was solo today and rented a LC9, but I am also a member so, not sure about if they have a rule for non members

BTW the LC9 stock trigger blows monkey nuts

Did you bring your own gun? That was part of my quote, and neither of you answered that part. It's a two-part rule common at ranges. You have to satisfy one or the other.

Did you bring your own gun? That was part of my quote, and neither of you answered that part. It's a two-part rule common at ranges. You have to satisfy one or the other.

Here is a link to their range rules, hope this helps. Google is your friend! http://www.heritageguild.com/Range-Programs/Range-Rules.aspx

No, I was renting. If I had my own guns, I wouldn't need to rent... :)

No, I was renting. If I had my own guns, I wouldn't need to rent... :)

You will find most ranges in PA require you to bring a gun to rent one, or to rent a lane with somebody that accompanies you. Heritage sounds like a very rare exception.

I guess if you have one gun, you never need to try another gun. But for some strange reason they still make a whole lot of money renting guns to people that own guns.

You will find most ranges in PA require you to bring a gun to rent one, or to rent a lane with somebody that accompanies you. Heritage sounds like a very rare exception.

I guess if you have one gun, you never need to try another gun. But for some strange reason they still make a whole lot of money renting guns to people that own guns.

The two PA ranges with which I have familiarity (and membership) do not have this requirement. Otherwise, they probably would not get very much money from me. :) Of course, it's "their range, their rules," but I'd consider it bad marketing on their part to not allow rentals to people who don't own. They might very well make that first "buy" from the range, when able... and other buys. When they rent, they take my Driver's License as "security." That's a pretty good incentive (among others) to be a good rental customer and do things right, regardless of what I own/don't own.

This is why I belong to a private gun club. Not to say it couldn't happen there, but much less likely since there are no guns for rent. This same thing happened two years ago at Shore Shot within an hour of leaving there with my wife. Never stepped-foot into a public range since then.

The two PA ranges with which I have familiarity (and membership) do not have this requirement. Otherwise, they probably would not get very much money from me. :)

Then you will only be shooting in Jersey very soon. Because the rules at whatever two PA ranges you found will change very soon.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't look into additional PA ranges, since you have found two of the very few PA ranges that meet your requirements. You probably won't like the hundreds of others.

When they rent, they take my Driver's License as "security." That's a pretty good incentive (among others) to be a good rental customer and do things right, regardless of what I own/don't own.

A lone renter without his own weapon that is intent on shooting himself will not worry about leaving his drivers license.

A lone renter without his own weapon that is intent on shooting himself will not worry about leaving his drivers license.

True, but I'm not sure that's the root intent of the DL security requirement.  I think it's more to ensure that the weapon remains on the range and that it's not "ripped off."

To be honest, the logic of requiring of a lone shooter to own a weapon before rental escapes me. If it's a matter of training, they can require a range orientation class or other training, etc. Anyway, hopefully, it won't be an issue for me for very long.

This is why I belong to a private gun club. Not to say it couldn't happen there, but much less likely since there are no guns for rent. This same thing happened two years ago at Shore Shot within an hour of leaving there with my wife. Never stepped-foot into a public range since then.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

+1K!  

I visited the Range/Store in Easton.  I was only there because I met someone and drove to buy explosives and acc's for a traditional sidelock.  That, and because I wanted to visit Sarco's down the street.  Heritage wouldn't sell me .22's so they can go ef themselves!

I'm really not into the whole "let's go to a range and stand next to Noobs that don't know which way the rounds go into a mag".  Rental operations, for the most part, scare me.  Too much to go wrong.  Back in "the day", you simply went to a club meeting, announced that you were new and wanted to try "X and such", and folks fell all over themselves to make appointments with you to make it happen.  Now, in the days of this instant impersonal communication and hiding behind screen names, the Buckeroos have to rent instead of making friends.  The lone exception is the great Meet-Ups listed on this and other Forums, IMHO.

My wife and I had just finished shooting and were still in the store drooling over the choices for my next gun when the RO came out and told the people at the checkout counter to call 911. Very weird because when they had their previous incident, I had just cancelled out of going there and would've been there when it happened that time too.

We had just finished commenting that there were a lot of range officers there today. Five when we walked out of the range area and only about 5 or 6 shooters at that time counting us. Nothing is foolproof because they were really watching today. I overheard several instances where they had to correct  people for not following range rules.

I have to agree that if stuff like this has to happen, better a suicide than a homicide and not just because we were there either.

Meanwhile, I can tell you for sure that you can go and just rent even as a newbie because I tried at least seven different rental guns there before I bought my first pistol.

To be honest, the logic of requiring of a lone shooter to own a weapon before rental escapes me. If it's a matter of training, they can require a range orientation class or other training, etc. Anyway, hopefully, it won't be an issue for me for very long.

It's nearly universal, and exclusively to prevent suicides on the range as I told you.

What makes you say that?

I tried, you refused to believe, then said the logic still escapes you, it is inevitable that you will learn in time nonetheless. I don't argue with people who are ignorant and then refuse to accept the answers.