deerpark

Recommend a revolver.

I overheard a guy at the range today telling someone what guns he had with him, and one of them being a GP100, went over to ask him how he liked it. He's had it about 8 months now and loves it. So, a few minutes after I went back to my port, he came over and invited me to shoot it a bit. Definately a good choice, and I can tell you that if all the triggers break in like that ... oh baby.

Went to a range today, shoot about 100 rounds from semi-autos, pretty bad...  And, before leaving, only six shots with GP100 - and life is good again.

I placed a few bids on a 686 and almost won it but think I will go with the GP100.

The 4 inch barrel seems to be the most popular though I was considering the 3 inch on the GP100.  Not sure why one is preferable over the other?

I thought this video was interesting.

Someone in the comments pointed out the section of the frame above the cylinder:

That was the least interesting video i've ever watched on comparing the two, could not find the comment you mentioned about the section above the cylinder? What was it? 

Agreed.  Other than providing a side by side view, the video was useless.

The commenter said that the part of the frame above the cylinder on the GP100 was much thicker than the 686 (visibly it seems to be).  Guess that means its beefier in some respect?   

The commenter said that the part of the frame above the cylinder on the GP100 was much thicker than the 686 (visibly it seems to be).  Guess that means its beefier in some respect?   

See post #43 in this thread

See post #43 in this thread

Agreed.  Other than providing a side by side view, the video was useless.

Agreed with Bob, plus - I dont see the reason for the (much) thicker top strap. I mean , it serves it's purpose - But dont think that - oh , well - it's bigger so it must be stronger ! --- All the pressure from firing magnum rounds are held within the cylinder. 

Which Colts?

Maksim mentioned a few above but I think they are discontinued. 

Colts are super expensive, growing ever rarer, are all out of production, work ass backwards from every other revolver, have no parts or service any more.

...so , for a shooter - a colt would be your last choice, if you want something to keep in the safe and look at every once in a while, go right ahead. 

Colts are super expensive, growing ever rarer, are all out of production, work ass backwards from every other revolver, have no parts or service any more.

...so , for a shooter - a colt would be your last choice, if you want something to keep in the safe and look at every once in a while, go right ahead. 

Alec. I agree... except the Colt King Cobra was built like a tank... relatively speaking...  Same with the troopers.

the Colt Pythons... different story.  SA is nice.  DA is not bad... but they are really about the collectors item at this point.  The fit and finish on them is top notch.  

You can still find colts for a good price.

Colt King Cobra you should be able to find under $1k.

Colt Trooper Mark 3's should be $500 to $750.

As alec said... If you want a great shooter but that is a collectors item... get a colt.

If you want a gun you can shoot and have fun with... get a Smith Wesson.

If you want a gun you can shoot questionable loads through, abuse, etc... get a Ruger.  

All wheel guns are fun though.

Colt Anaconda, Colt Python are still on my must get list.  Kicking myself for passing up a 2.5" iirc Blued Python for $1400, (99%), or a long barreled one Paul had. ugh. 

I placed a few bids on a 686 and almost won it but think I will go with the GP100.

The 4 inch barrel seems to be the most popular though I was considering the 3 inch on the GP100.  Not sure why one is preferable over the other?

Longer barrel - better accuracy, methinks.  And, I expect faster velocity.

Longer barrel - better accuracy, methinks.  And, I expect faster velocity.

Yes yes and yes... but also it is a freaking brick.

For bullseye and accuracy, longer barrel.  For all around run and gun, fun... 4" or 5"

for carry, 2".

Typically, the short barrel revolvers, ie 4 or 5" will be more desirable/collectible... at least in the colt world.

Someone in the comments pointed out the section of the frame above the cylinder:

What is your budget? Local shop/range near me ,Shooters, has a nice used S&W 5" barrel 686-3 for $675 (if I remember correctly) It looked very clean but I did not handle it and check barrel and cylinder for wear. Had a few other used wheel guns too. Give them a call and see what they have. 

Alec. I agree... except the Colt King Cobra was built like a tank... relatively speaking...  Same with the troopers.

the Colt Pythons... different story.  SA is nice.  DA is not bad... but they are really about the collectors item at this point.  The fit and finish on them is top notch.  

You can still find colts for a good price.

Colt King Cobra you should be able to find under $1k.

Colt Trooper Mark 3's should be $500 to $750.

As alec said... If you want a great shooter but that is a collectors item... get a colt.

If you want a gun you can shoot and have fun with... get a Smith Wesson.

If you want a gun you can shoot questionable loads through, abuse, etc... get a Ruger.  

All wheel guns are fun though.

Colt Anaconda, Colt Python are still on my must get list.  Kicking myself for passing up a 2.5" iirc Blued Python for $1400, (99%), or a long barreled one Paul had. ugh. 

I have a King Cobra and shoot it regularly. It is a blast to shoot and the trigger is super sweet. So far no issues but now you guys have me worried about it breaking down. I love showing her off at the range and it gets a ton of compliments and once an offer to buy it. Probably get a S&W 586 this coming spring to lighten the range time on the Colt. 

What is your budget? Local shop/range near me ,Shooters, has a nice used S&W 5" barrel 686-3 for $675 (if I remember correctly) It looked very clean but I did not handle it and check barrel and cylinder for wear. Had a few other used wheel guns too. Give them a call and see what they have. 

UPDATE…. Went to Shooters today and the 686 was sold a few days ago. 

Agreed with Bob, plus - I dont see the reason for the (much) thicker top strap. I mean , it serves it's purpose - But dont think that - oh , well - it's bigger so it must be stronger ! --- All the pressure from firing magnum rounds are held within the cylinder. 

Google "flame cutting."  I can see cuts on the top strap of my fiancé's 686+ pro series.  These appeared after shooting 2 boxes of .357, so the pressures do leave the cylinder.  It hasn't been looking any worse, but the last few range trips have seen .38s exclusively.  Either way, I'm not concerned.  On a side note, I can't imagine a nicer trigger.  I think S&W really tunes up their pro-series.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766340_-1_757895_757775_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Google "flame cutting."  I can see cuts on the top strap of my fiancé's 686+ pro series.  These appeared after shooting 2 boxes of .357, so the pressures do leave the cylinder.  It hasn't been looking any worse, but the last few range trips have seen .38s exclusively.

Flame cutting is not an indicator of pressure. Flame cutting in .357's usually occurs when using light bullets in magnum rounds. Usually only cuts to finite depth. Forged frames resist flame cutting better due to the density of the metal.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Flame cutting is not an indicator of pressure. Flame cutting in .357's usually occurs when using light bullets in magnum rounds. Usually only cuts to finite depth. Forged frames resist flame cutting better due to the density of the metal.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob.  I guess I didn't really phrase that well.  The point I'm making is that there is a theoretical reason to have a thicker top strap as it does in fact wear down from stresses, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to have it as reinforced as the Ruger.

The GP100 is an all-around gun. Not perfect for any situation, but very good in many circumstances.

Power: .357 mag. Need I say more? You can always shoot .38 specials, which are fine.

Concealability: Not great, but adequate (many, many people in other forums claim to carry them)

Control: big enough for even timid, recoil-averse shooters

Ergonomics: Beautiful gun that fits your hand. 

I have a 6 inch dan wesson in 357. Beautiful gun, smooth trigger. Getting harder to find at a good price.

Bought a .357 "pistol pack" years and years ago....with the 8 inch barrel on, the thing is amazingly accurate.  

But I am finding that I am hankering more and more for a nice 4 inch K-frame.  The other thread (for a $269 model 10) is getting me thinking about goin and getting a purchase permission slip 

Effingers' no longer has the GP100.

upenuju7.jpgu2aza2an.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Alec!

The owner was thinking about keeping it so it never made it into their computer system. NICS came back with the wrong number on the computer and then they quickly called with the correct number.

One the guys at the counter suggested they throw in a box of ammo for having to wait while they got it all straightened out. They did :-) (deducting the cost from the gun of course for bookkeeping purposes).

Effingers' no longer has the GP100. upenuju7.jpgu2aza2an.jpg Thanks for the heads up Alec! The owner was thinking about keeping it so it never made it into their computer system. NICS came back with the wrong number on the computer and then they quickly called with the correct number. One the guys at the counter suggested they throw in a box of ammo for having to wait while they got it all straightened out. They did :-) (deducting the cost from the gun of course for bookkeeping purposes).

Congrats!!

I fondled it a little yesterday and man, what sweet trigger. Great buy.

Also, I've always gotten good service at Efinger. All the guys behind the counter I've dealt with (probably all of them by now) are really down to earth, pro 2A and (especially the older guys) knowledgeable about what they're selling. 

Their prices on new guns are on the higher end (right around MSRP), but they usually have a good selection of used guns at good prices. That GP and the Model 10 I bought from them yesterday are perfect examples.

BTW, one of the guys really was going to buy that GP,  but they got a Dan Wesson in and he went for that instead.

Effingers' no longer has the GP100. upenuju7.jpgu2aza2an.jpg Thanks for the heads up Alec! The owner was thinking about keeping it so it never made it into their computer system. NICS came back with the wrong number on the computer and then they quickly called with the correct number. One the guys at the counter suggested they throw in a box of ammo for having to wait while they got it all straightened out. They did :-) (deducting the cost from the gun of course for bookkeeping purposes).

Looks pretty good for a used gun though I'd probably get a different grip.

Now, can you please go return it so I can buy it?