voyager9

14.5" Upper comparison

I'm looking for a complete upper to finish my build and could use some help comparing the three models below. I'm not sold on any of them, but they seem to closest to what I'd like to do. I'm also not in a hurry to buy but would like to pick one up during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Option 1: PSA SQR11 CHF 14.7'' for $660.

Option 2: Spikes Tactical 14.5" Lightweight for $700 (incl: BCG/CH)

Option 3: BCM Standard 14.5" w/Troy for $773 (with Comp)

Overall the three seem very similar but it is hard to tell through the marketspeak the difference between the model or the manufacturer. The PSA comes with a Flash Hider which I'd have to get swapped for a Comp/Break (Stupid NJ). Similarly I'd have to pay a little more for the BCM with the Comp instead of the default Flash Hider. The Spikes comes with a Bold Carrier Group and Charging Handle, which seems to be a big positive, but only if the quality of the other stuff is on par with the others.

I am partial to BCM and have experience with several of their 14.5 with pinned comps uppers.

I have no experience with either PSA or ST.

I noticed that all of the uppers you choose have a free-float quad-rail on them.  Do you have a specific need for the quad-rail and no FSB?

I think if you provide a little more information as to what you are going to use it for could help with the decision making process.

As you probably already know there are literally hundreds of different combos of 14.5 uppers and various hand guard and drop-in or free float rail options.

Perhaps there may be something that will get the job done at a different price point for you.

The PSA upper comes with a permanently attached A2 Flash Hider. That means you have to get that unpinned and a new comp re-pinned. Check with your local gunsmith for the cost of unpinning as that could be a factor that drives up the cost past the other two. I have 2x AR's with PSA complete uppers and have had 0 issues as of yet and would purchase again.

Spikes upper already comes with a pinned break so that's one less thing to worry about. $700 including a pinned comp, BCG and charging handle sounds like a good deal to me. Spikes Tactical is still good to go in my book.

You can't go wrong with BCM products but you will end up paying some more for quality parts.

If all I needed was an upper to finish my build, I would go with option 2 as that offers a very decent complete upper with everything I need for the right price. If I was on a budget, I'd get the PSA upper but wait until the sales. I picked up 2x PSA uppers for $475 each November of last year. If you want to spend a little more money for a good quality upper then get the BCM. Nothing wrong with that but I would say it depends on what you are using this rifle for. Are you just going to shoot paper at the range or are you interested in taking classes and really putting it through its paces?

I noticed that all of the uppers you choose have a free-float quad-rail on them.  Do you have a specific need for the quad-rail and no FSB?

I think if you provide a little more information as to what you are going to use it for could help with the decision making process.

As you probably already know there are literally hundreds of different combos of 14.5 uppers and various hand guard and drop-in or free float rail options.

Perhaps there may be something that will get the job done at a different price point for you.

The build is centered around HD but being honest will mainly be used for range fun.  I'd like to take some classes with it at some point.  This is my first build so I'm sure there are aspects I haven't thought of.. opinions/comments are wanted.

I'm not dedicated to the general theme but right or wrong my thought process as gotten me to a Quad-rail and hidden gas block.  How I got there is that I eventually want a RDS.  I'd go with BUIS vs a FSB to not have to worry about co-witness.  The only things besides BUIS I'd hang off a rail is a AFG (to keep the same grip as my other AR) and a light.  I'd also want a QD sling adapter built in to avoid having to add one to a rail.   I like the look of the Quad rail but I worry about the weight they add.  All else being equal I'd think I'd want free-float given what I do want on the rails.  I'm also not sure what other options would be.  I don't like the traditional handguard and looking for something besides MOE.

The PSA upper comes with a permanently attached A2 Flash Hider. That means you have to get that unpinned and a new comp re-pinned. Check with your local gunsmith for the cost of unpinning as that could be a factor that drives up the cost past the other two. I have 2x AR's with PSA complete uppers and have had 0 issues as of yet and would purchase again.

I'm not sold on that specific PSA.  I think I'd want one that came with a comp to avoid the gunsmithing.   It was more of a "If PSA had one like THIS.. but with a comp" how would it compare to the other two?

If all I needed was an upper to finish my build, I would go with option 2 as that offers a very decent complete upper with everything I need for the right price. If I was on a budget, I'd get the PSA upper but wait until the sales. I picked up 2x PSA uppers for $475 each November of last year. If you want to spend a little more money for a good quality upper then get the BCM. Nothing wrong with that but I would say it depends on what you are using this rifle for. Are you just going to shoot paper at the range or are you interested in taking classes and really putting it through its paces?

What makes the BCM a higher quality?  Higher in what way?  And would that quality be worth the ~300 (when you add BCG/CH) over the ST?

People are going to tell you what they use and like.....

I have the spikes unit.... And am obnoxiously brutal on my gear.... I rarely clean the gun....

Shoot fairly often....

And has given me no problems ever...

Thanks Vlad.   Trust me, I appreciate knowing what others use so I can try to make an informed purchase.  Also helps to break down the comparison since there's enough marketspeak to cloud the new.. Eg: "Machine Gun steel, wow that sounds cool.. do I care"?   Sometimes it makes it hard to tell the advantages/disadvantages between them all.

all i can tell you with certainty is that I am really rough on my guns.. my break in process consisted of shooting a ton of ammo through it.. and cleaning it eventually..... I shoot pretty fast from 0-100 with that upper... and occasionally shoot man sized targets out to 300.... and have had 0 issues with that upper... the brake also functions really well and the mid length gas* system is where its at IMO.. very soft shooting.. great stuff.. 

The build is centered around HD but being honest will mainly be used for range fun.  I'd like to take some classes with it at some point.  This is my first build so I'm sure there are aspects I haven't thought of.. opinions/comments are wanted.

I'm not dedicated to the general theme but right or wrong my thought process as gotten me to a Quad-rail and hidden gas block.  How I got there is that I eventually want a RDS.  I'd go with BUIS vs a FSB to not have to worry about co-witness.  The only things besides BUIS I'd hang off a rail is a AFG (to keep the same grip as my other AR) and a light.  I'd also want a QD sling adapter built in to avoid having to add one to a rail.   I like the look of the Quad rail but I worry about the weight they add.  All else being equal I'd think I'd want free-float given what I do want on the rails.  I'm also not sure what other options would be.  I don't like the traditional handguard and looking for something besides MOE.

Hey that is fine.  It sounds like you are on the right track then.

all i can tell you with certainty is that I am really rough on my guns.. my break in process consisted of shooting a ton of ammo through it.. and cleaning it eventually..... I shoot pretty fast from 0-100 with that upper... and occasionally shoot man sized targets out to 300.... and have had 0 issues with that upper... the brake also functions really well and the mid length gay system is where its at IMO.. very soft shooting.. great stuff.. 

Vlad,   Did you get their new hat with that upper too?

spiderhat.jpg

Just kidding but I had to, you left the door wide open on that one!  

Ok back to the OP's original question.  So from what several of the forum members have said about the quality of their own Spikes Tactical upper's and how they have used them it sounds to me like that would be a good choice for you. 

As far as BCM goes and pricing.  If you look at their website they offer many different combinations for their middy 14.5 free-float rail systems. Add in barrel types and profiles and and you have a lot of options to choose from.

As Vlad stated most folks are going to recommend what they have themselves.

I always personally recommend to try and at least handle or even better, shoot the gun you are thinking of buying.  It has always helped me to answer more questions then the internet ever could.  That said since you are just looking at purchasing an upper maybe one of the forum members would let you try their ST upper out.

If you are interested in trying out a BCM middy upper let me know.

Voyager - I have a BCM upper (actually purchased from Holeshot) that shoots great, and I am local so if you want to check it out let me know.

I'd love to.  Maybe we can meet up at R14 some time.  Unfortunately with Halloween and my Daughter's birthday I probably won't have a chance to get there until maybe 11/6 (Wednesday) or the weekend after that.

I'd love to.  Maybe we can meet up at R14 some time.  Unfortunately with Halloween and my Daughter's birthday I probably won't have a chance to get there until maybe 11/6 (Wednesday) or the weekend after that.

I also have a BCM 14.5 middy with the Surefire brake. If you'd like to try it, let me know. Blake and I belong to Central Jersey, we could meet one day and try them out.

I also have a BCM 14.5 middy with the Surefire brake. If you'd like to try it, let me know. Blake and I belong to Central Jersey, we could meet one day and try them out.

That's really tempting.  Thanks.  CJRPC is about an hour from me.. but that's not too much worse than R14 (40 min).  I'll PM once I know my schedule to see if we can work something out.

The only problem I'm seeing with the Spikes option above is that it is almost impossible to find.   It doesn't appear to be in stock anywhere and the ST website mentions 6, 8 or 12 month backorder.  I'm not in a hurry but would like to finish the build this year.   Had I known I would have taken advantage of the sale Aim had a few weeks ago.

That's really tempting. Thanks. CJRPC is about an hour from me.. but that's not too much worse than R14 (40 min). I'll PM once I know my schedule to see if we can work something out.

I would also prefer doing it at cj but still have a membership to r14 as well. Invite me to the pm with njpilot and we can tey and find a day that works for all of us.

People are going to tell you what they use and like.....

I have the spikes unit.... And am obnoxiously brutal on my gear.... I rarely clean the gun....

Shoot fairly often....

And has given me no problems ever...

I am also interested in the Spikes Tactical and was wondering if it felt front heavy with the 12" BAR Rail despite the LW barrel profile?  Also how does the 1.5" Dynacomp compare to a battlecomp?  The latter is the only comp that I am familiar with. 

I am also interested in the Spikes Tactical and was wondering if it felt front heavy with the 12" BAR Rail despite the LW barrel profile?  Also how does the 1.5" Dynacomp compare to a battlecomp?  The latter is the only comp that I am familiar with. 

I only really run a rail for a light... so I am not really that into massive long rails with tons of rail space.... I prefer a traditional fixed front sight.... and a lightweight handguard that accepts small sections of rails where needed... so I am using a midwest industries rail and love it... 

the brake is awesome.. I can not compare it to the 2 because I only have time with the dynacomp.... the reviews I have read that have compared them put them in about the same spot... 

my goal with this gun is run and gun inside of 100 yards and the occasional long shot out to 200/300... the gun is VERY light and can be operated quickly.. no issues with weight.,..

this is my current 14in setup.. (excuse the poor quality cell phone pics DSLR is still broke.....)

armi.jpg

armi2.jpg

I only really run a rail for a light... so I am not really that into massive long rails with tons of rail space.... I prefer a traditional fixed front sight.... and a lightweight handguard that accepts small sections of rails where needed... so I am using a midwest industries rail and love it... 

the brake is awesome.. I can not compare it to the 2 because I only have time with the dynacomp.... the reviews I have read that have compared them put them in about the same spot... 

my goal with this gun is run and gun inside of 100 yards and the occasional long shot out to 200/300... the gun is VERY light and can be operated quickly.. no issues with weight.,..

this is my current 14in setup.. (excuse the poor quality cell phone pics DSLR is still broke.....)

That's a nice looking rifle.. I'm really leaning toward a Spikes 14.5" upper.  They just need to start showing up in stock somewhere. 

One question:  Why the RSA?  Doesn't the MI Rail have a QD hole right there?