Sign in to follow this  
Norseman

Downsized out of my company

I've worked in IT (infrastructure support and project management) for my company for 10 years and made it through wave after wave of cutbacks but it finally caught up with me.

I'm too old to become an LEO now but are there any other jobs out there that pay decent (roughly $70k) where I could carry or be around guns?

I know it's a pipe dream but I'm curious if there's anything you guys might suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with IT infrastructure and project management skills you could always go into consulting

Yeah I just found out today and I have 30 days before my last day plus they are going to provide some kind of assistance finding something else so I'm not worried just yet. I was just wondering if there's something "more fun" to get into.

Happened to me in 2012, I was in telecommunications and networking, keep your certs up to date. I just found a gig worth having but I pulled it out from my background. I found nothing in my current field. I do know AT&T has a position with that skill set. The title is Customer Engineer pays $80,000 out the gate if you test high. Check it out.

What's this all about? What kind of position would I get?

You have to get a SORA first. Armed security in NJ is monopolized for thee most part by people"on the job" or lefty "the job". Us regular smokes are hard hit to get a letter of need to be issued by a company here in NJ because of the varying permit issues. Get a SORA, then contact Gun for Hire. I couldn't justify it because I would rather take that money and add it to my NJ exodus fund.

I mean if I'm guaranteed a job making close to what I'm making now AND I get to incorporate my hobby into my career that sounds like a good gig.

I looked on their website and I see nothing about "jobs/careers". Is there a link you could post or pm me?

If your interested in a LEO job try looking into the Department of Corrections, I don't think they have an age restriction.

They do not really have an age restriction, but if you are over 35 you will have to join the public employee pension system.

They do not really have an age restriction, but if you are over 35 you will have to join the public employee pension system.

Plus the new contract blows. Starting pay, $40,000 and it takes 5 years to hit $56,000

I've worked in IT (infrastructure support and project management) for my company for 10 years and made it through wave after wave of cutbacks but it finally caught up with me.

I'm too old to become an LEO now but are there any other jobs out there that pay decent (roughly $70k) where I could carry or be around guns?

I know it's a pipe dream but I'm curious if there's anything you guys might suggest.

Are you OK with travel?

Like meeting new and interesting people and learning about their culture and what's inside their heads?

Enjoy sand and spending time at the beach?

Are you OK with travel?

Like meeting new and interesting people and learning about their culture and what's inside their heads?

Enjoy sand and spending time at the beach?

LOL I'm too old to join the military. I'm 44. Wish I had (like so many in my family) and I'd be retiring (or working the 5 more years to increase my pension)!!

FWIW, if you wanted to be a cop so you could carry a gun, being a cop is the last thing that you should do. We have enough of  the wrong people being in that job for the wrong reasons already. Get another job in IT where you can use your skills to earn a good living and perhaps get a PT job in a gun shop where you can indulge your passion.

FWIW, if you wanted to be a cop so you could carry a gun, being a cop is the last thing that you should do. We have enough of the wrong people being in that job for the wrong reasons already. Get another job in IT where you can use your skills to earn a good living and perhaps get a PT job in a gun shop where you can indulge your passion.

For the record (and my friends and family all say this) I would make a great cop. But at 44 unless you have a military background it's too late to get picked up by a department (that's what my cousin who is a Lt. told me.)

I didn't mean to come off like I'm "trigger happy" with my OP. I just thought it would be nice for a career change that gets me more range time and can justify spending the money on a nice side arm ammo. Hopefully that's the way most understood it but if not I hope this clears that up.