njpilot

Verizon Edge Program

Has anyone tried the new Verizon Edge program? You get a new phone every year, but you make monthly payments based on the full price of the phone.

I was just at the store looking at the Samsung Galaxy S4. To get the phone under normal 2 year contract would cost $150 plus $30 upgrade fee. To do the Edge, I turn in my current phone, pay the tax on the full price upfront and I think it was $20.83 per month. Approx $250 for the year. Currently running a promo to get $100 back.

I'm not due for upgrade until Mar, but considering the Edge plan as every phone I've owned I wanted to get rid of after 18 months due to battery going or phone issues.

They are currently running promo until end of year where I can upgrade to the S4 now instead of waiting until Mar.

Also, for those that have the S4, are you still happy with it?

I'll be getting rid of an HTC Rezound that I hate.

Thanks for your opinions.

Here's the deal. Buy a subsidized phone and you hand them say $150+$30 up front and pay the $80 a month or whatever it works out to for your plan. Cost in first year is $1140. Cost second year is $960. Cost to reach the next phone is $2100.

For their I can't do math plan, you pay $1230 your first year and $1210 your second year. Cost to second phone is $2450. Unless you get a trade in credit for your pristine 1 year old phone even though you admit you want new phones before 24 months because you wear them out.

They want to keep their subsidy dollars and pass the whole cost of the phone onto you.

T-Mobile's Up is the best deal as far as upgrade plans go, but they're all pretty terrible.

The best plan is to buy your phone, and sell it when you want a new one (on eBay or otherwise). You'd get at least $200-300 to put towards a new phone (at full retail price), if it were a high end phone.

Here's the deal. Buy a subsidized phone and you hand them say $150+$30 up front and pay the $80 a month or whatever it works out to for your plan. Cost in first year is $1140. Cost second year is $960. Cost to reach the next phone is $2100.

For their I can't do math plan, you pay $1230 your first year and $1210 your second year. Cost to second phone is $2450. Unless you get a trade in credit for your pristine 1 year old phone even though you admit you want new phones before 24 months because you wear them out.

They want to keep their subsidy dollars and pass the whole cost of the phone onto you.

Yeah, makes sense Matt.

i have the s4 and its a solid phone. big screen and fast. tons of cool features too. i dont know about this program tho

How long have you had you're S4? Do you think it will last 2 years better than other phones you've had?

T-Mobile's Up is the best deal as far as upgrade plans go, but they're all pretty terrible.

The best plan is to buy your phone, and sell it when you want a new one (on eBay or otherwise). You'd get at least $200-300 to put towards a new phone (at full retail price), if it were a high end phone.

That's the best way to trade up early, but unless someone has a plan where you pay less than a subsidizing plan, you are still paying jacked up service prices.

Yeah, makes sense Matt.

How long have you had you're S4? Do you think it will last 2 years better than other phones you've had?

I've had it for 5 months. I bought an otterbox case with it and it doesn't even have a scratch on it. It should last the whole 2 years+ if I keep it in the case. Im pretty rough on my phones too. Most havent lasted more than a year but my last one did and this one is in much better shape than my old one at a similar point.

Verizon's best deal right now is the Iphone 4s for .99 and 60.00 access unlimited calling and messing with 2gb data for 40.00 a month.  I just got 3 of them.  I now have 3 phones and a tablet  180.00 a month for everything.

If you don't require the latest phone then check out Virgin Mobile.  I purchased a phone for $180 in April of 2012 (Motorola Triumph...3G phone).  Pay $25 a month for 300 minutes (which I never use), unliimited internet, unlimted texting.  I think they "throttle" (slow down your download speed) if you go over a limit but as I understand it you would have to be an extremely heavy user before you get throttled.

The montly fee has gone up since I purchased my phone to $35 a month.  I just purchased an Ipone 4s (8g) for my wife for $99 through radio shack.  So for 2 years service at $35 a month plus the $99 for the phone is $939 or just under $40 a month for phone & service.  There is no contract though and you aren't locked in at all.  Radio Shack was out of the phones but they ordered it at the same sales price and it will be delivered to us for free.  Not sure if they are still offerering that price though.

I've been with Virgin Mobile for close to 4 years now (had a slider phone prior to this one) and I've been happy.  I had Verizon prior to that.  $55 at the time for just 400 minutes of talk time per month (with I again hardly ever used) with NO texting and NO internet.  I am by no means a high usage cell phone user.  I probably use maybe 100 minutes a month of the 300 minute talk time.  Mostly use to do some light texting, read the occasional email and read this forum when on train to an from work.

I live in Cental NJ and work in NYC.  Few "low bar" areas but not bad reception at all.  If you live in very rural area your coverage may not be as good.  I think they have a coverage map on their website to show what type of reception you could expect to get.

Good luck....and ditch Verizon!

Thanks Glen. Although I'm not working right now, when I am, I use a lot of minutes on my phone and need good, reliable coverage.

Verizon has worked well and AT&T has the coverage too. I don''t think I can go with some of the smaller companies that tend to have gaps in coverage.

To njpilot:

I'm curious why you hate the Rezound?

I have a brand new one that I have had for almost a year, but never activated it. It was just as Verizon discontinued it, and I spent days demanding they move mountains to find me one somewhere in their inventory. Once I mentioned cancelling my account enough times, I got one.

I thought it had very good reviews?

To njpilot:

I'm curious why you hate the Rezound?

I have a brand new one that I have had for almost a year, but never activated it. It was just as Verizon discontinued it, and I spent days demanding they move mountains to find me one somewhere in their inventory. Once I mentioned cancelling my account enough times, I got one.

I thought it had very good reviews?

May just be mine, but I've had a lot of issues with it. It's working pretty good right now, but I used to have a lot of crazy things happen. Lately, the major problem I have most frequently is the delay when tapping something on the screen. Sometimes when I make a call, nothing happens. I'll press the name again. A minute or so later, it will connect to the call. Then when I'm talking, the 2nd press will activate and put the call on hold and redial the same number. I've had a total crash and reboot last year. A few months ago I went to the "Share" plan and got the free Hot Spot Wifi app but it wouldn't work on my phone. They wanted me to do a reset to factory settings. I didn't do that, but a couple of months later, after an auto update, it suddenly started working.

A few other things, but these have been big hassles at times.

Yours may be fine.

Good luck.

I have had the s4 for almost a year.  I went from Iphone 4 to the 4s.   A few weeks ago my wife asked me to send her mom a text from her phone (iphone 4s).  I felt like I was going to break it.  It is sooooooo small compared to the s4 which I LOVE!  One handed texting is a little tough but other than that I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my s4.  I am so glad to be away from itunes!  It is fast, the battery is great, I love that I can put in an SD card and keep all my photos on a memory card rather than killing my phone space.  I will never go back to Iphones.  Everyone I know who went galaxy s3 to Iphone 5 has regretted it since.  Good luck.  As far as the Edge plan.. pay now, monthly payments is a scam to steal more of your money because the amount they take now isnt enough for those greedy shmucks.