zoid

Why a Spotting Scope and Not Binoculars?

I'm just trying to understand what the advantage of a spotting scope is compared to 

a set of binoculars.  I like to minimize the amount of stuff I carry with me so a set of

binoculars makes more sense.  Is there a significant disadvantage to using a small/medium

set of binoculars compared to a spotting scope?  

I shoot at Ft. Dix and furthest distance is 200 meters.  Would like to try that distance

eventually.  

You want to scope every shot, slow fire, and with a spotting scope you can do it without breaking position. Setting the gun down between shots adds another variable and will open up your groups.

You want to scope every shot, slow fire, and with a spotting scope you can do it without breaking position. Setting the gun down between shots adds another variable and will open up your groups.

Good point.  Didn't think of that.

You guys have a suggestion for something that is pretty compact that will fit in a this range bag?  It's a Midway Compact Range Bag.

Ideally that can also see out to 200 yards shooting 223/556.  Under 200 dollars.  It's a tall order I know...

af7620b7.jpg

I'm just trying to understand what the advantage of a spotting scope is compared to 

a set of binoculars.  I like to minimize the amount of stuff I carry with me so a set of

binoculars makes more sense.  Is there a significant disadvantage to using a small/medium

set of binoculars compared to a spotting scope?  

I shoot at Ft. Dix and furthest distance is 200 meters.  Would like to try that distance

eventually.  

Easiest thing to do to answer this question yourself is to borrow a good pair of binoculars and go to the Dix Range.  Start at 50 yards and then find someone shooting at 100 and 200 yards.  Look for the tiny .22 cal holes with a 10x or so binocular, then go out and BUY something that can have more than a snowball's chance in hell of locating the target frames at 200 yards (let alone finding a .22 cal hole)!

Buying a spotting scope that has to fit a cheap range bag is like buying a zoom lens without a constant F2.8 aperture; you CAN get away with it for SOME things (until you encounter a low-light zoom-out and LOOSE a full stop or more of lens/shutter speed), but WHY?  Even some of the inexpensive spotting scopes come with a codura nylon, velcro-closure cover so you don't need to use the range bag.

I have Leica 8-12x zoom binoculars that are good out to 50 yards or so for .22 holes.  Apochromatic lenses eliminate color fringing and enable you to see finer details further away, but I still need my Nikon 25-75x zoom spotting scope to see .22 cal holes at 100 yards....  especially during cloudy lighting conditions with reduced contrast.

Since you live in town you can show-up to a High Power Match or a Black Powder Match at the Old Bridge Club anytime you desire, as the red gate at the outdoor range is wide-open allowing non-members to participate in our leagues (or you can just watch with your spotting scope).  Or give me a PM and I'll guest you in so you can judge for yourself the effectiveness of what you're using now compared to what I use.  Then ALL of your questions will be answered and you won't have wasted any money on something that doesn't cut the mustard at the 200 yard distance you wish to shoot at.

Dave

Dang Rosie, you are talking another language! What's F-Stop, is that like the old F-Troop show?????

But seriously, I did buy a cheap spotting scope two years ago. It is ok, but the tripod mount stinks, can never get it really locked-down. The magnification is great, BUT, the optics kinda suck. At 100 yards it reminds me of an old TV that needed the three colors re-alligned. At the outer edges it looks a little blurry. The scopes on my rifles though look awesome! They gather-in PLENTY of light and everything is in focus from edge to edge. That is pretty sad when the scopes on the rifles are better than the spotting scope!

So, like you, I need to buy a REAL spotting scope at some point. I won't be buying another sub $100 POS though.

I bought this: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/466045/konus-spotting-scope-20-60x-80mm-with-tripod-photo-adapter-and-soft-case-armored-green

a few years ago for $198. Quite a few people here have this model. Is it a $800 Leupold? No. But for the money, it is good. The tripod isn't too good, but for $20 I recently bought a really good, stable one on Amazon.

I bought this: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/466045/konus-spotting-scope-20-60x-80mm-with-tripod-photo-adapter-and-soft-case-armored-green

a few years ago for $198. Quite a few people here have this model. Is it a $800 Leupold? No. But for the money, it is good. The tripod isn't too good, but for $20 I recently bought a really good, stable one on Amazon.

Yep.  The Konus is the best deal at that price point.   Will it satisfy a dedicated bench-rest shooter?  No.  But for sighting in a rifle at 100-200 yards, it does the job quite well.

ETA:  I have no experience w. Celestron, but the reviews of their scopes in the ~$200 range are pretty favorable, too. 

Dang Rosie, you are talking another language! What's F-Stop, is that like the old F-Troop show?????

But seriously, I did buy a cheap spotting scope two years ago. It is ok, but the tripod mount stinks, can never get it really locked-down. The magnification is great, BUT, the optics kinda suck. At 100 yards it reminds me of an old TV that needed the three colors re-alligned. At the outer edges it looks a little blurry. The scopes on my rifles though look awesome! They gather-in PLENTY of light and everything is in focus from edge to edge. That is pretty sad when the scopes on the rifles are better than the spotting scope!

So, like you, I need to buy a REAL spotting scope at some point. I won't be buying another sub $100 POS though.

Sorry Mike,

F-stops, Bus stops, Trolley stops, lol, I guess ya don't know the dif, lol!  But that's O-K, as the OP is a Professional Photog (if I remember correctly).

Seriously, from your 1st person account just above, you're the Poster Child of WHY not to buy a CHEAP POS spotting scope, lol!

You can take almost ANY POS scope that has 1/4-20 female thread and mount it onto a REAL tripod.  I use a Manfratto (Bogen) tripod capable of sustaining a Hasselblad medium format SLR w/ telephoto lens motionless, so I have a decent tripod.  The mounting plate for the pan and tilt head on said tripod is probably $20-$30 alone by now, maybe even a little more, but it will hold your Coke Bottle scope with NO problem Mike, lol!  Even a cheap scope benefits from a real sturdy tripod with proper mount....the tripod is the ONLY thing that keeps the scope steady enough to see anything at a decent magnification!

Have a great week!

Dave

What is your guys opinion on this?  I know it's cheap but maybe just to get me started.  

Bear in mind I shoot my AR maybe once a month at best and maybe 100 rounds at most

each time.  

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1722998&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=615fb93ac9d2a8e156d5b99102d03d58&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104752080%3BMCcat104600880&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

While they are not high end, rent one at Ft Dix for $2 and you can see what they are all about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

This is a good call as well.  Might make more sense until I start shooting a lot more.

What is your guys opinion on this?  I know it's cheap but maybe just to get me started.  

Bear in mind I shoot my AR maybe once a month at best and maybe 100 rounds at most

each time.  

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1722998&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=615fb93ac9d2a8e156d5b99102d03d58&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104752080%3BMCcat104600880&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

This is a good call as well.  Might make more sense until I start shooting a lot more.

Zoid,

A friend of mine had this model a while back.  The scope was just O-K (a little hard to fine-focus), and the tripod was a POS and broke the second time he used the outfit.  Do you have a REAL tripod that you use with your cameras?

A visit to Old Bridge to see the differences between binoculars and a spotting scope can be arranged....just let me know and I can guest you in.

Dave

Zoid,

A friend of mine had this model a while back.  The scope was just O-K (a little hard to fine-focus), and the tripod was a POS and broke the second time he used the outfit.  Do you have a REAL tripod that you use with your cameras?

A visit to Old Bridge to see the differences between binoculars and a spotting scope can be arranged....just let me know and I can guest you in.

Dave

Thanks man.  Yes I have a regular tripod for my camera.  

I gotta start making a list of people who offer to take me

in to ranges as a guest.  I will be taking you guys up on

the offers.  Would be a great opportunity to learn.

You're welcome.  Just look me up and I can make it happen.

Like the other guys have said, the Konus is a real bargain for the money and it holds-up too.

I have a Nikon ED Zoom Spotting Scope 25-75x w/ 82mm front objective.  BRIGHT, so you can see little holes in low light this time of year.

Stay in touch and have a Merry Christmas if I don't meet-up with you before hand.

Dave