NYMetsFan86

Which guns can I bring on vacation to Up-state NY

I was planning a trip to this cabin in up-state NY with some family members and the cabin we stay in is on private property with a large amount of land to shoot. With the draconian SAFE ACT what can I bring and what can I not bring. All of the tabs on the safe act website seem to pertain to residents. I may call them later but I wanted to see if any of you guys had some input. I am pretty sure any pump shot gun im good to go.

Part of the answer may pertain to whether or not you wish to purchase a hunting license.  I'm not familiar with the current rules.

If you're just going to shoot-up the woods, stick with a long gun.  IANAL, so call the proper authorities.  UPSTATE is a whole 'nuther World, and the local Sheriff runs the roost.

I have the same problem. I have a buddy with a ton of land up state. He has a shooting range all setup in his back yard. It's 100 yards, with steal targets and even a shooting table they built. I have gone up twice to shoot, but have been afraid to go back. If i do go back,I will only bring bolt action rifles, and maybe my 10/22. I never go shooting without my 10/22.

I personally have no knowledge of ny laws pre or post "safe act" but I'd be weary of taking extended magtube shotguns as well ....with the sickness in their state they might classify them as "high capacity assault weapons" but as mentioned a call to the local(to the cabin) sheriff would be the best thing to do to get answers to all your questions

NON-RESIDENTS  

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. 

A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Sound to me like "technically", you are not allowed to bring ANY gun to NY unless you have a NY license..  when i went to visit my father in Rochester, i brought precisely NADA with me, but luckily he had guns of his own we could shoot

NON-RESIDENTS  

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. 

A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Sound to me like "technically", you are not allowed to bring ANY gun to NY unless you have a NY license..  when i went to visit my father in Rochester, i brought precisely NADA with me, but luckily he had guns of his own we could shoot

This is specifically about handguns

NON-RESIDENTS  

Curiously, and thinking strictly outside of the box:

IF you just happen to shoot black powder hand guns, and IF one of the family members does also and brings his/hers, and IF you brought your own Cap-N-Ball revolver with balls and caps BUT NO POWDER to make it go BANG, and IF you just happen to accidentally spill some "borrowed" powder in them there cylinder's chambers, would that be O-K?  NY State law considers black powder to NOT be a firearm unless and UNTIL you put the hand gun, powder, caps and balls all in the same place, so transporting a Cap-N-Ball without any means of making it go BANG is akin to NOT TRANSPORTING A FIREARM AT ALL!  FWIW there are PLENTY of "wall hangers" out there, especially in upstate rural areas........

I have friends in NY that own black powder guns.....

Dave

Plethora of information guys thanks very much. My Brother in law is LEO he will be bringing two glocks with him, though I told him he should still check with the sheriff to ok it. I do not know if law enforcement is exempt from the safe act but you never know. The land owner seems to be fine with it as well. 

I will be bringing absolutely nothing with me. Wish the cabin was in PA so I could just ccw

Definitely no AR type firearms and no handguns.  Beyond that you shouldn't have much trouble.  IANAL.

C

+1

Another gray area is "transfer." Technically, transfers require a NICS check now in NY. The SAFE Act prohibits the private "sale" or "exchange" of any firearm to any person unless a licensed dealer performs the "sale" and a background check.  The law exempts parents, spouses, children, stepchildren and "domestic partners."  You may give your live-in lover a firearm, but you may not give your brother or nephew a .22 rifle on Christmas Eve.  The law does not clarify how long someone must be in possession of a firearm before such possession is understood to be an "exchange"; thus, it is possible that lending a rifle to your brother-in-law for deer season without a dealer transfer and a background check could be construed as an illegal "exchange." You would then be a criminal, and the gun used in the "crime" could be confiscated and destroyed.

My thoughts? If an exchange, transfer or "loan" of a firearm takes place in the deep, dark woods during target practice; does anybody know it happened? The SAFE Act is by far the most insidious law to be ever put on the books.

855-LAW-GUNS will answer any questions regarding NY state legality.  What the other members said is basically on point.  Absolutely no hand guns, no semi-autos with removable mags.  No guns with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.  BTW you don't need 10 rounds to kill a deer!!!!!  So only load 7.  LOL!!!!

Happy shooting.

855-LAW-GUNS will answer any questions regarding NY state legality.  What the other members said is basically on point.  Absolutely no hand guns, no semi-autos with removable mags.  No guns with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.  BTW you don't need 10 rounds to kill a deer!!!!!  So only load 7.  LOL!!!!

Happy shooting.

Your 10/22 is legal, your Ruger Ranch Rifle is legal, your Browning BAR deer rifle is legal, your Remington 740, 742, 7400, 4 deer rifles are legal, etc. Magazine capacity and round count in magazine is key.

Your 10/22 is legal, your Ruger Ranch Rifle is legal, your Browning BAR deer rifle is legal, your Remington 740, 742, 7400, 4 deer rifles are legal, etc. Magazine capacity and round count in magazine is key.

It's more than that.  You can't bring an AR or AK with 5 round mag and be legal.  The way it was explained to me on the phone a semi auto with a removable mag is a no-no.

It's more than that.  You can't bring an AR or AK with 5 round mag and be legal.  The way it was explained to me on the phone a semi auto with a removable mag is a no-no.

That is correct for an AK and AR, none can be brought into New York, but incorrect on the removable magazine feature. The website has a better tutorial: http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform

oh man would love to own a nice double barrel eventually. I'll be looking into it more but I doubt I'll be bringing any of my firearms. Even my pump shotgun (which I function checked at the range today, AWESOME) is 7+1, so thats a no go as well. Upside, I'll get a bit more range time on my brothers glock 22 and 26 so not a loss at all especially when coupled with some kayak fishing. There is a lake right next to the cabin, kind of like jason haha

There is a hunting license you can buy as a non resident for some sort of squirrel, think it was a red squirrel. The beauty of that particular hunting permit is that the season is perpetual, 365 days. There is no restriction on caliber I believe but a very low round count on auto loaders, maybe 4+1. So under those conditions if they haven't changed things, a bolt or lever rifle is good and absolutely legal. Even a Marlin Camp or Ruger Mini with one of the hunting mags (4 or 5 rounds) is probably ok if they haven't been banned by name/features in the not safe act. Check the NY State hunting forums or Google "squirrel hunting permit NY", there was a bunch of chatter about this legal method for non NY'ers to have a long gun in NY.

You sure you can bring magazines into NY that hold 10 rounds?

I thought 10 rounds was the old standard, grandfathered old mags if they have no more than seven rounds in them, and the new standard is no mags over 7 rounds. I could be wrong, I'll never have a destination in NY as long as I live so I have no reason to verify.

as long as I can transport when driving through on my way to Vermont......

NY is such a fked up place now.  I think all voting districts need to be redone where everyone get's 1 vote exactly based on the popular vote.  That would certainly change  things up

There is a hunting license you can buy as a non resident for some sort of squirrel, think it was a red squirrel. The beauty of that particular hunting permit is that the season is perpetual, 365 days. There is no restriction on caliber I believe but a very low round count on auto loaders, maybe 4+1. So under those conditions if they haven't changed things, a bolt or lever rifle is good and absolutely legal. Even a Marlin Camp or Ruger Mini with one of the hunting mags (4 or 5 rounds) is probably ok if they haven't been banned by name/features in the not safe act. Check the NY State hunting forums or Google "squirrel hunting permit NY", there was a bunch of chatter about this legal method for non NY'ers to have a long gun in NY.

Those red squirrels are found mostly in the north, way up in the Adirondacks. There are other critters that require a hunting license but have no open season. I would review the NYDEC F&G website first. "Manner of taking" also follows state and county guidelines with respect to what type of weapon is legal to use. 

You sure you can bring magazines into NY that hold 10 rounds?

I thought 10 rounds was the old standard, grandfathered old mags if they have no more than seven rounds in them, and the new standard is no mags over 7 rounds. I could be wrong, I'll never have a destination in NY as long as I live so I have no reason to verify.

The SAFE Act's answer to high-capacity magazines:

Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

Prior to the SAFE Act, anyone in possession of a high-cap magazine prior to 1994 has been allowed to keep them, as they were grandfathered. Those folks are in a conundrum come January 15th.

The SAFE Act's answer to high-capacity magazines:

Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

Prior to the SAFE Act, anyone in possession of a high-cap magazine prior to 1994 has been allowed to keep them, as they were grandfathered. Those folks in a conundrum come January 15th.

I have no reason to doubt that's true, but who wrote it? You? That didn't come out of the "Safe Act."

I have no reason to doubt that's true, but who wrote it? You? That didn't come out of the "Safe Act."

• The first statement is direct from their website, found under the question: "How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?"
  • I added the second part about the grandfathered magazines.

Link:

http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-owners

So far, the SAFE Act have been a resounding success after almost a year. Cuomo's spokeswoman, Melissa DeRosa said; "The SAFE Act has enabled the state to better protect New Yorkers."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/ny_safe_act_enables_ny_to_better_protect_nyers_gov_cuomos_spokeswoman_says.html