n4p226r

how accurate are you with your AR-15?

im wondering how accurate you guys are, and what is really considered to be accurate.  while trying to sight in my red dot at 50 yards i realize a few things.  1.  a small bullseye is really hard to see at 50 yards.  2.  i suck at hitting it.

so how comfortable are you in the following situations

1.  standing 25 yards or less

2.  standing 50-100 yards

3.  prone 100 yards

4.  standing further

5.  prone further.  

im pretty sure i could hit a man size target until 100 yards.  not sure im much more accurate than that.  id probably be comfortable with a headshot a 15 yards or less. :D

With a 50-200 zero, you should be able to hit a man sized target to around 250 by aiming center mass. Drops about 7" at 300

Eta what I'm trying to say is if I can hit a guy at 250-300 yds that's plenty accurate enough for me. If youre building a bullseye gun its different

3.  prone 100 yards

4.  standing further

5.  prone further.  

With iron sites on an AR-15, I can get most of my shots in a 12" circle standing at 100 yards.  The people I shoot with can do much better.  I need to practice more.

I can do better prone, probably a rough 6" group, but that's considered pretty bad, I think.  

With optics, prone at 100 yards, I can get everything in a 2-3" circle.

-Dave

im wondering how accurate you guys are, and what is really considered to be accurate.  while trying to sight in my red dot at 50 yards i realize a few things.  1.  a small bullseye is really hard to see at 50 yards.  2.  i suck at hitting it.

so how comfortable are you in the following situations

3.  prone 100 yards

4.  standing further

5.  prone further.  

im pretty sure i could hit a man size target until 100 yards.  not sure im much more accurate than that.  id probably be comfortable with a headshot a 15 yards or less. :D

With a red dot:

25yds standing using a 2 pt sling for support I can keep all rds in a 5" shoot n see target

50yds most of the time I can keep them within about an 8" group

100yds I just aim for the middle of the target when I'm using a dot.  They will all land in the torso area but are generally not in a very good group

I don't shoot much prone but from the bench groups are probably half of what I listed above.

I prefer shooting with something magnified, and with a TA11 (3.5x) last week I was getting MOA groups at 100 and 200yds from the bench.  Groups standing where about 6" at 100yds and torso hits at 200yds.  

Edit:  I know I am not a very good shot.  I am working on it :)

i have 200 rds through my AR (my buddy shot at least 50 of them) and maybe 100 rds through others prior. so im not really comparing my abilities or lack of skill to you guys.  im just wondering what the average forum member can shoot.  i watched a lot of videos on sighting.   some of the guys had a 2" group at 50yards without magnified optics prone and some had a 4 inch group with ACOGs.  so its a wide spread.  i couldnt even get a 4" group at 50 to zero my t1.  i should have worn my glasses.  

when i first started shooting pistols i was horrible.  now im less horrible.  im sure the AR will come the same way.  

If I do my part I can keep a 4 inch group with my ar and h1 supported about 8 inch offhand. I cant for the life of me figure out the iron sights on that thing. As soon as I go to them I cant group at all. I shoot about the same groups with my garand. And slightly better with my no.4 mk.2 enfield

I sighted in my Colt 6920 at 50yds, moved 8" steel plate out to 200yds, was using factory iron sights & bench rest, & hit plate 4 out of 5 times

From 200 you can actually put the plate as your sight target? You can SEE the plate from 200? Or is your sight something bigger like a table or frame the plate is on and you know where to put your front post in relation to the bigger items to hit the plates?

I started a thread a couple weeks ago about this when ibrea about guys accuracy with irons. I'm telling I can't sight a playing card at 50 yards

In other words if the 8 inch plate was hanging in space at 200 yards you could locate it and nail it at 200 with irons?

Those should be "easy" shots with a rest or prone. If you can't see a paper plate or 8" at 200 yards (or even 300) it might be time for glasses or glasses checked. I mean this with iron's or 1x red dots and a contrasting target. An 8" target at 200yards is basically 4MOA.  I think 4MOA from various supported positions (and some awkward ones) is a good base line, 8MOA for unsupported off hand shooting. You probably want to be able to do better then that, you should be able to do those things under stress, like say run for 50yards, pick up the rifle and make the shot.

Of course, some things make this harder. Bad eyes, bad optics, bad sights, bad weather, etc.

If you go to magnified optics, I'd say drop the size of the target in half.

I'm not telling I can do this all the time, I just get mad at myself on the days that I can't.

On the NRA standard high power rifle targets, the aiming black (the only part of the target you can see from the line) is approximately 6MOA in diameter.

Ex: 100yd target = ~6" dia black

200yd=~12", 300yd=~18", 600yd=~36"

Shooting Across The Course (with iron sights) you shoot slow fire standing and rapid fire sitting from 200yd, rapid prone from 300 and slow prone from 600

(This is the course of fire at Cumberland)

Other clubs (without 600yd ranges) shoot reduced courses, CJRPC shoots 200-200-300-300 and SJSC shoots the entire course at 200

The targets are proportionately difficult (the scoring rings get tighter) on the reduced targets

First goal of a new HP shooter is to 'hold the black'

As the schedules for the upcoming high power seasons are made available, I will start a new thread here. I hope the CR and CJRPC shooters will add their schedules, along with any other ranges here in the PRNJ that hold HP matches (or leagues)

474AE783-1C68-4D00-89C1-887EBFEC0EC2-383

The above AR, with a standard 16" mid-length BCM upper, Geissele SDE trigger (added after the photo was taken) and a TA01NSN ACOG shot this target:

42838317-923D-48A1-8513-183A5EE505AB_zps

10 rounds of service grade 64gr Fed TRU soft nose ammo at a fairly quick pace from 100 yards prone while confirming zero right after building it.

Well remember guys, there is a difference between what the rifle can do from a bench, on a calm day, and what the shooter can do on a average day.

I think to often we speak of 1 MOA rifles (which a heck of a lot of ARs are) but can setup some unrealistic expectations. Somehow, for years, I ended up making time for long range practice only on crummy, windy, raining or cold day. I used to laugh and say I was cursed.

Now, I look forward to that weather. I know my rifle is sub MOA, but I also know on most days I am really really not. So, I practice on nastier days.

474AE783-1C68-4D00-89C1-887EBFEC0EC2-383

The above AR, with a standard 16" mid-length BCM upper, Geissele SDE trigger (added after the photo was taken) and a TA01NSN ACOG shot this target:

42838317-923D-48A1-8513-183A5EE505AB_zps

10 rounds of service grade 64gr Fed TRU soft nose ammo at a fairly quick pace from 100 yards prone while confirming zero right after building it.

You can see a dime sized red dot from 75 yards away?!?! I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but I'm finding this remarkable. So in other words if I'm holding a playing card in my hand from 75 yards away you guys can tell me if the card is red or black suited? Why am I amazed by this? 75 yards away?

Again I'm not doubting groupings. I can group, I'm just saying I'm holding the same spot but frankly I'm guessing the spot. Bit I'm certainly not seeing a dime size red bullseye.

EDIT: wait. Is the above pics with irons or the ACOG? My comments were for irons only

You can see a dime sized red dot from 75 yards away?!?! I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but I'm finding this remarkable. So in other words if I'm holding a playing card in my hand from 75 yards away you guys can tell me if the card is red or black suited? Why am I amazed by this? 75 yards away?

The red dot is a single very bright red dot (mine are actually fluorescent) in the middle of a black area.  So yes, I can see it, and my eyes aren't what they used to be.  I shoot at 300 yds all the time, and can see the 8" black circle no problem.  If I put a 2" or 3" orange dot in the middle it's very obvious, even at 300 yards.

Again I'm not doubting groupings. I can group, I'm just saying I'm holding the same spot but frankly I'm guessing the spot. Bit I'm certainly not seeing a dime size red bullseye.

EDIT: wait. Is the above pics with irons or the ACOG? My comments were for irons only

That was with 4x ACOG at 100 yards from a comfy prone position.

When zeroing or when confirming zero with a RDS I use a 3"x3" Post-It note at 50 yards. Of I can get ten rounds on the Post-It, the rifle is zeroed. Other than that accuracy standards are a reflection of what you are doing:

High Power Competition shooters will have an extremely different set of requirements for what they consider acceptable than a tactical shooter training for a gunfight. 5 shots from the prone in 1 minute at 100 yards is a different ball game than 5 standing, speed reload, 5 kneeling, speed reload, and 5 prone from the 50 yard line into a 6" circle in under 25 seconds.

Accuracy means different things to different folks, and marksmanship is only a part of learning to fight with a gun.

when a target is too far for me to "see" the "dot" I simply put the front site post.. red dot.. or cross hair in the center of the target.. if it is center consistently.. the shots will be as well.. 

when a target is too far for me to "see" the "dot" I simply put the front site post.. red dot.. or cross hair in the center of the target.. if it is center consistently.. the shots will be as well..

^^^ This ^^^

Not a whole lot of aiming points on real world targets at any distance. You have to visualize your aiming point. Not many home invaders with a 1/2" neon circle over their hearts.

Not a whole lot of aiming points on real world targets at any distance. You have to visualize your aiming point. Not many home in invaders with a 1/2" neon circle over their hearts.

Well one day you might be invaded by a gang of clowns with big red noses that look just like red center target dots. You never know, do ya? :)