Rob0115

Help understanding the Dillon presses

Nick says Hornady over Dillon because he's cheap and FoS...  No comparison  Dillon makes damned mini guns that's the quality you're buying.

I just went thru this -- reloading for 25 years with a rock chucker

this year I bought a hornady --  then had a Dillon 650 passed down to me -- they are both set up side by side

Its a toss up as to which one is better -- they both have their faults -- neither one is better than the other -- in my opinion

come see for yourself

From what i have read the Hornady presses have been hit or miss, mostly i believe it is understanding how the components work on the press to make it reliable.. 

if you go to you tube and watch their are a bunch of vids with tips and tricks on how to setup the hornady press.

Their is one guy who has one that he cannot get to stay running i just think he has the press out of wack and not set up right..

This is him..it is painfull to watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8v_r-FyBKg

This is him..it is painfull to watch..

You're right about that --  Painful  --  I wonder what Hornady said when they saw the video -- It's gotta be a bad press -- something is off

I've loaded thousands of rounds on my hornady --  Never a failure to eject the finished round

I don't have a case feeder on the Hornady -- I'm too cheap to pay for it -- I'll build one when I feel the need -- the Hornady is so open on that side that it's not difficult to load a case  by hand

Much more open space on the left side of the press than the dillon

I don't use either press for primers,  I load primers by hand, with a lee priming tool -- this is when I check my case for defects

I do de-prime before cleaning with a universal de-capping die in the hornady -- then tumble in liquid with stainless media

I was just about to pull the trigger on the xl650 but was out off by Alec's thread in exploding primers. I don't use federal because I'm not a competition shooter, but I'm concerned nonetheless by what I've read. If I need to hand prime it defeats the purpose of the progressive press. I had some pretty high hope to crank out some ammunition at a much faster rate.

I know lee progressives say they aren't compatible with federal primers so maybe there's some correlation. I use some wolf SRP magnum so I know they have a hard cup like cci. Maybe that'll be the trick?

This needs some serious thought.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the xl650 but was out off by Alec's thread in exploding primers. I don't use federal because I'm not a competition shooter, but I'm concerned nonetheless by what I've read. If I need to hand prime it defeats the purpose of the progressive press. I had some pretty high hope to crank out some ammunition at a much faster rate.

I know lee progressives say they aren't compatible with federal primers so maybe there's some correlation. I use some wolf SRP magnum so I know they have a hard cup like cci. Maybe that'll be the trick?

This needs some serious thought.

If you are not using federal primers, I wouldn't even think twice... Type whatever press your thinking about picking up in google, followed by primer detonation. I'm sure it's happened on every type of press, progressive, single stage, hand primers, etc.

I've had it happen twice, in say about...20k-25k rounds. Dillon replaces the parts every time, and the way the magazine tube works is to contain the primers incase it happens.

Some people have probably loaded a Million rounds on their dillon and never had it happen, I'm just unlucky.

Although I've never used a lee press I do remember the. Saying not to use federal or Winchester primers due to detonation issues. As mentioned earlier I really only use cci. I have a couple hundred federal and Winchester LRPs. I'll hand prime those for .308 which I'll probably continue single stage.

I pulled the trigger on the dillon 650 and some conversion kits and accessories.  I see to positives from this.  I should be able to get more done in the smaller spare time I have and I'll definitely lose weight because I can no longer afford groceries--at least for a while.  

Did you get the press online or through a local vendor? I think there's a sticky somewhere that mentions a discount for forum members. Although, from everything I read people are buying from either Brian Enjoys, Graff, or direct from Dillon. I've been looking for a used 550 but they hold their value so much there are no bargains to be had.

I'll probably set it up tomorrow.  This morning was crazy as I've been working on turbo charging my Road King.  All the mechanicals are done now I just need to mess with a fuel map and my mind is definitely not into that today.  So, I'm going to go shooting and relax.  My sense is getting this press setup will be as hard as doing this turbo install....maybe worse.

F@$&_'ing auto text! BRIAN ENOS :-)

I knew what you meant and yes Brian Enos is where I ordered.  

Actually it is not that difficult. Once you get it, it is a piece of cake.

Now what dies are you using to deprime and size?

I have Lee carbide and RCBS dies that i use now for sizing an depriming.  Didn't see you at the range today.

Made 100 rounds of 230 gr plated 45 ACP. It does help you crank out a lot of ammo. I ordered the powder check so it made me feel better that I wasn't over or undercharged. I need to mount the completed round bin. I may want a case feeder but was hoping there was a primer feeder?

I did buy a tool head for each caliber conversion.

Anyone use the Frankfort arsenal vibra prime? The Dillon rf 100 is over 300 bucks.

Personally I found the powder check cumbersome and useless. I have a well lit area with lights on press above station 3 where I seat head and check powder. Case feeder is a must IMHO and the vibra prime works great. Like Steve G said, I also have 10 large and 10 small primer tubes and load them up for whatever I am loading. The RF 100 from Dillon is great, I was able to use 1 for a few years but pricey.

OK, I cranked out a bunch of .45 ACP switched it over to 9mm and did a few of those.  It isn't that big a deal to change the priming plunger and disk.  I bought a toolhead for each caliber conversion kit I have and will leave the adjusted dies in there.

I ordered a vibra prime because loading the priming tube is by far the worst bit of using the press.   

I can see the advantages of progressive of course but I am being overly careful nonetheless.  

OK, I cranked out a bunch of .45 ACP switched it over to 9mm and did a few of those.  It isn't that big a deal to change the priming plunger and disk.  I bought a toolhead for each caliber conversion kit I have and will leave the adjusted dies in there.

I ordered a vibra prime because loading the priming tube is by far the worst bit of using the press.   

I can see the advantages of progressive of course but I am being overly careful nonetheless.  

Did you get powder hoppers as well?

I have a toolhead for each caliber.  What I want is to set it up once, swap it in and out with the pins.  Thus, I have one for each caliber (which is the same # of tool heads) to make life easier. 

I am beginning to see why folks like these kits.  

I have a toolhead for each caliber.  What I want is to set it up once, swap it in and out with the pins.  Thus, I have one for each caliber (which is the same # of tool heads) to make life easier. 

I am beginning to see why folks like these kits.  

Now a powder measure for each caliber and you're set!   A little pricey though.