illy

Driving around w/ pistol caliber carbine in trunk?

It (long arms only) doesn't even have to be locked in your trunk. You could technically place it on your dashboard, on the passenger seat or even hold it out the window. Just as long as its unloaded and you have a valid FID, you're not breaking any laws.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk 2

I agree with all of the above, about being able to keep long guns in one's car. But if I understand correctly, the catch is that if you were ever to load it (outside of exempted places), or worse, to use it to defend yourself, you have then committed a felony.

I agree with all of the above, about being able to keep long guns in one's car. But if I understand correctly, the catch is that if you were ever to load it (outside of exempted places), or worse, to use it to defend yourself, you have then committed a felony.

Winner!

But at that point, I'll take my chances with a jury.

Even my trunk mags are unloaded

Stripper clipped ammo and the plastic maglula loader

Only seconds to load

I was in error about no law requiring you to report firearms theft. However, this did remind me of why I didn't remember this. I had to deal with a lot of laws and regulations during my time as a LEO and in the military. If a new law or reg went nto effect and it codified something I would do anyway I pretty much just ignored it. No sense in using brain cells to store that info. I would not think of not reporting theft or loss of a firearm.

You really can break just about any law in exigent circumstances. If you take that long gun out of your trunk and use it in a clear cut case to save someone's life I don't think any prosecutor would think of charging you. It would be political suicide for the prosecutor.

There I said it again.

The law that was introduced covered HAND GUNS, not Long Guns.  The current laws already allow you to do THIS:    

Currently, as a NJFID holder, I can drive-around town doing my errands with 100 rifles and shotguns in the trunk of my car, UNCASED, UNLOADED, piled on top of each other and scratchin' each other all to hell, actions closed, layin' on top of cases of opened, spilled-out ammo, loaded magazines, even a belt of .30-06 for my semi-automatic belt-fed look-alike Model 1919 MG!  I don't even have to have the FID card on my person (according to the letter of the law)!  So long as none of the ammo is EVIL HOLLOW POINT and I don't drive through a RESTRICTED LOCATION (Military Base, Basement of Federal Building, School Grounds, etc.) I'm as LEGAL as the day is long, lol!

Are we on the SAME page now?

Actually, I believe you could go further: The long guns do not need to be in the trunk, they could conceivably be on your dashboard and you still wouldn't be breaking any laws.  

Hard to believe people have had FIDs for years and still don't know what they mean.  Mine even says "Buns of Guns is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns, persuant to provisions of NJS 2c:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements." But I heard they changed the wording recently.

It (long arms only) doesn't even have to be locked in your trunk. You could technically place it on your dashboard, on the passenger seat or even hold it out the window. Just as long as its unloaded and you have a valid FID, you're not breaking any laws. Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk 2

^ What he said.

Actually, I believe you could go further: The long guns do not need to be in the trunk, they could conceivably be on your dashboard and you still wouldn't be breaking any laws.  

Hard to believe people have had FIDs for years and still don't know what they mean.  Mine even says "Buns of Guns is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns, persuant to provisions of NJS 2c:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements." But I heard they changed the wording recently.

In 2002 they had the "purchase & carry rifles & shotguns pursuant", that's what mine says.

In 2013 the word carry was not on a family member's card.

Not sure when it changed in those 11 years.

Both cards still live under the 2C:58-3 and 20:39-5 so even if someone in Trenton removed the wording on the card, the legality of carry still exists, or one would think

I've had my current address more than 26 years.  My NJFID also says, "Purchase and Carry".

Back when hunting was a lot more prevalent, "carrying" meant slung-over your shoulder with a SxS or O/U, walking through your housing development on the way to the hunting area across from the development.  Today, Jervous and Nerky displaced New Yorkers would be on the phone callin' 911 as if the world was going to come to an end!  So it's the New Yorkers' fault, lol!

The law that was introduced covered HAND GUNS, not Long Guns.  The current laws already allow you to do THIS:    

Currently, as a NJFID holder, I can drive-around town doing my errands with 100 rifles and shotguns in the trunk of my car, UNCASED, UNLOADED, piled on top of each other and scratchin' each other all to hell, actions closed, layin' on top of cases of opened, spilled-out ammo, loaded magazines, even a belt of .30-06 for my semi-automatic belt-fed look-alike Model 1919 MG!  I don't even have to have the FID card on my person (according to the letter of the law)!  So long as none of the ammo is EVIL HOLLOW POINT and I don't drive through a RESTRICTED LOCATION (Military Base, Basement of Federal Building, School Grounds, etc.) I'm as LEGAL as the day is long, lol!

Are we on the SAME page now?

Is that correct about loaded magazines?  I pre-loaded my glock mags and kept them in a different compartment in my range bag last time I went, but I just saw an Evan Nappen video in which he said a loaded mag is treated the same as a handgun and is a no-no.

If the mags are ball or soft point or lead round nose or flat point, you're still GTG.  IF on the other hand, they contain EVIL Hollow Point rounds, then YES, they're "treated" as a hand gun, and that is also covered in various plentiful threads on this forum.  The "directly to and from" rules are for:

1.  Hollow point ammo

2.  Hand guns

3.  Long guns (only when the owner/transporter doesn't hold a valid NJFID )

So as to avoid confusing Mall Ninjas, Nappen usually tells folks that loaded mags are no good, since some folks buy hp heads and make their own reloads.  Truth be told, I know of no one being jacked-up for a loaded mag.  

Hell, Nappen already got a Guy off who was guilty as sin of having 30 round mags, simply because he was able to ask the Cops whether or not they test-fired the mag to insure more than 15 rounds would continuously fire out of it.  So THAT little gem was already "spent".....

So are we all clear on this?

Dave

In 2002 they had the "purchase & carry rifles & shotguns pursuant", that's what mine says.

In 2013 the word carry was not on a family member's card.

Not sure when it changed in those 11 years.

Both cards still live under the 2C:58-3 and 20:39-5 so even if someone in Trenton removed the wording on the card, the legality of carry still exists, or one would think

I got mine in November of 2011. That narrows it down to the past 2 years, unless local PDs transitioned at different times.

You need to be careful with .22's. Many are hollow point, though it's pretty hard to see! I am guilty of having them in my pockets, on the floor of my car/truck, hell, never know where you may find .22 ammo in my house. All it takes is for the wrong person on the wrong day to find that crap when I'm not going to a range, FFL, or other exempted place, and I could technically be jacked-up. Those .22 hollow points are just sooooo much more deadly than a normal .22.

Reminds me, I've been driving around with two cases of 7.62 in my truck, I better make sure they aren't hollow points or put them away.........

^^^The OP's original post was talking about driving around with a long gun in the trunk of his car, not walking around with it in public like some A-Holes did at Starbucks.

You have a tendency to type short meanings, like the one I called you on.  Now for today's lesson:  A Hunter, under the age of 18, can walk in public with his double barrel shotty broke-open, so long as he/she has on their person a valid hunting license.  Since they're under 18 years of age they're not eligible for a NJFID.  So sometimes these short little quips leave things out....  And since the OP didn't infer CARRY at all (nor did I)........where are we going with this?

FWIW your SBI Number is tied to your SS#, so it can be looked-up electronically in a matter of a few seconds.  As to NJFID being required to transport long guns, I must emphatically restate the obvious:  NO it is not required (so long as you follow the exempted locations rules).  So NJ folks who inherit their Daddy's shotgun or rifle can go to a range with it (even without a NJFID).  In addition, since folks from out of State will often stop (after a Match, Shoot, Target Practice, etc.) for gas, something to eat or drink, or for a restroom stop, these "reasonably necessary" intermissions have never been brought before a Judge in the State of NJ as far as I can research....and NONE of these out-of-Staters have NJFID's!

In short, NJ gun laws are written to deliberately confuse and compound the aggravation factor, thus inhibiting residents AND out-of-Stater's from participating in our 2nd Amendment heritage.  It's a damn shame!

NJ Gun Owners need to stop rumor mongering since the Pussification has already reached this forum's members......

Dave

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the exempted locations part for long guns.  The OP is not talking about exempted locations, he's talking about everyday transport in public areas.  My wording is correct though, you are guilty of Unlawful Possession of a long gun unless you have "obtained an FPID".  The law if phrased that way, you are guilty unless you can prove otherwise. 

If you have an FPID at home, and then are seen carrying a shotgun or AR15 in public unloaded, I'm not sure you couldn't be arrested and charged.  39-5 states you must have "obtained an FPID".  39-2.b states "When the legality of a person's conduct under  this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit ... it shall be presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit ... until he establishes the contrary." 

How can you prove you have obtained an FPID, when its at home and you're 50 miles away walking around with a long gun?  You think your local PD will bail you out, in a town where they have no jurisdiction?  Now you're charged with unlawful possession, and probably DC or public nuisance, and you have to prove otherwise.  After your wife brings your FPID to your holding cell, and that PD consults your LPD, one of the remaining charges will stick or they'll find one.  You're not getting away Scott free....   if you had possession of your FPID in the first place while carrying, you can prove you're 100% legal at time of possession. 

All of this is for "non exempted" locations for long guns.  As you stated it's written clearly on old FPIDs as a "license to carry long arms".  Technically, *maybe* it's not required on your person, but I think you would be charged if you possessed a long gun in public without possessing an FPID also. 

Handguns:

39-5 Unlawful Possession of Handgun states "Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime...."  

So if you have a NJ handgun carry permit, do you think you can CCW in public and leave the NJ Carry permit at home?  I really doubt that PRNJ judges would support this behavior, for the same reasons above regarding long gun carry. 

if the LAW says "obtained" and does not say "said permit must be carried" then it doesn't matter what some judge might like or not like..

OBTAINING the permit is what the law calls for..  is it a good practice to carry the permit with you? sure no argument here.. but the law is not written in that way.. and the law is what matters at the end of the day.. 

In short, NJ gun laws are written to deliberately confuse and compound the aggravation factor, thus inhibiting residents AND out-of-Stater's from participating in our 2nd Amendment heritage.  It's a damn shame!

That's a good point.  A lot of people are scared away due to misinformation, such as "What? You can't stop for gas with an unloaded shotgun in the trunk even though you have a permit?" Not to mention the aborted gun owners, who shy away from ever owning one thanks to the confusion.

What's worse, is that current gun owners are too scared to buy NJ legal firearms, fearing that they will be made illegal.  This is how gun control skirts around the constitution.  "No, we will not make guns illegal, but that won't stop us from actively legislating absurd, easily misconstrued laws!  And the resulting horror stories of Brian Aitken, Joseph Pelleteri, Tom Cassidy, Gregg C. Revell only add to the mass hysteria. 

Hard to believe people have had FIDs for years and still don't know what they mean. Mine even says "Buns of Guns is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns, persuant to provisions of NJS 2c:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements." But I heard they changed the wording recently.

I bet you get funny looks when you put "buns of guns" on your p2p

That's a good point.  A lot of people are scared away due to misinformation, such as "What? You can't stop for gas with an unloaded shotgun in the trunk even though you have a permit?" Not to mention the aborted gun owners, who shy away from ever owning one thanks to the confusion.

What's worse, is that current gun owners are too scared to buy NJ legal firearms, fearing that they will be made illegal.  This is how gun control skirts around the constitution.  "No, we will not make guns illegal, but that won't stop us from actively legislating absurd, easily misconstrued laws!  And the resulting horror stories of Brian Aitken, Joseph Pelleteri, Tom Cassidy, Gregg C. Revell only add to the mass hysteria. 

^^^YEP, you got it!

Some (but certainly not all) of the horror stories you mention came about because of the accused's own doing, such as Aitken drivin'-around for months with hand guns in his car.  And his Mommy called him in to the Cops.  We don't actually have Choir Boys that got jacked-up for BS.  I feel sorry for these folks as a whole, but being stupid has consequences....and leaving 30 round mags layin'-around your apartment (when someone else has an access key) is STUPID too!