Bugsy732

Umbrella Corporation AR15 BCG - Got mine today!

I know it's sounds gitchy but i wanted to get the next part to complete my Umbrella corporation AR15 build. I ordered my BCG before shot show and it finally arrived. Over all it looks pretty nice. Compared to other BCG's it looks the same with a few small exceptions. The Gas Key bolts have TORX heads and there is a nice DEEP laser etching of the Umbrella Logo on the side that shows though the Ejection port (similar to SPIKES but this one is deep in the metal. You can feel the depth with your finger)

Umbrella Corp touts this BCG as superior to others on the market based on Materials and design. I guess only time will tell. To be honest... i wanted it because it has the logo on the BCG and completes the look of the rifle.

It came nicely packaged and lubed with a protective coating of oil. They recommend you take it apart to clean and properly oil prior to use.

cost me about $145 and $5 shipping.

anyway here is what i got today in the mail. Cant wait to try her out.

154404974.jpg

Here is info on the Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group's BCG from their website....

Umbrella Corporation AR-15 Bolt Carrier Groups are our take on a premium, no snake oil, combat ready BCG. Each and every bolt is proof fired, ultrasonically cleaned, tested via magnetic particle inspection (MPI), and once certified, parkerized for corrosion protection and lube retention. In keeping with a superior product, we don't utilize a Crane O-Ring as a crutch to increase extractor tension. Instead, our bolts are built with a mil-spec black insert coupled with a 5-coil high load extractor spring that's compatible with all DI gas system lengths. It's rated for 150K+ cycles to outlast your rifle barrel many times over. And of course we manufacture these to the finest standards and give an unconditional guarantee against material defect and manufacturing failure. Assembly/function check by a qualified Armorer is required.

Specifications

• Bolt precision machined from Carpenter Technology No. 158 alloy, carburized/case hardened, shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430, vibratory tumbled, individual high pressure/proof test fired, individual magnetic particle inspection, ultrasonically cleaned, markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened/HPT=High Pressure Tested, MPI=Magnetic Particle Inspection/158UC=Car Tech 158 alloy type & Umbrella Corporation), manganese phosphate
  • Extractor, machined 4140 Tool steel alloy, hardened, shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430, markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened/4140UC=alloy type & Umbrella Corporation), manganese phosphate, precision machined and ground S2 shock resistant tool steel alloy retaining pin
  • Extractor Spring, 5 coil, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock, heat treated, stress relieved, dual stage shot peen, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused, cryogenic processed (all post winding), mil-spec insert (premium spring eliminates need for Crane O-Ring)
  • Ejector, S2 shock resistant tool steel alloy, hardened, shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430, manganese phosphate
  • Ejector Spring, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock, heat treated, stress relieved, dual stage shot peen, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused, cryogenic processed (all post winding)
  • Gas Rings, mil standard stainless steel X3
  • Carrier machined from 8620 alloy, full auto profile, heat treated, hard chrome bore, precision ground gas key interface, Umbrella logo deep laser engraved, manganese phosphate
  • Gas Key machined from 4130 chromoly steel alloy, heat treated, hard chrome internal, manganese phosphate, Permatex sealed, Grade 8 Torx Plus cap screws torqued and staked per mil-spec
  • Cam Pin—precision machined 4340 chromoly steel alloy, heat treated/processed per mil-spec, manganese phosphate
  • Firing Pin—precision machined 8640 steel alloy, heat treated/processed per mil-spec, hard chrome plate
  • Firing Pin Retaining Pin—1038 carbon steel, heat treated/processed per mil-spec, manganese phosphate
  • All components, material, and packaging made in the USA

242654ab250d804c914d251e7f91.jpg

1e63c2afb301d83c27c0f0a05840.jpg

86a3416b14aaa6fd32881a2301d6.jpg

More info can be found here: https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/

I love that Umbrella Corp is one of those upstart companies that came out of nowhere and now have a legitimate cult and professional following. I can't wait to see what else they have in pipeline. At some point, i'm going to need to get one of their lowers.

I love that Umbrella Corp is one of those upstart companies that came out of nowhere and now have a legitimate cult and professional following. I can't wait to see what else they have in pipeline. At some point, i'm going to need to get one of their lowers.

They are looking to release two types of barrels this year as well as a unique rail system. I've already started compiling parts to build a second Umbrella rifle using all umbrella parts.

Off topic question ....I see people always ask about the staking of the gas key ....am I missing something or is that not that big of a deal really? I mean if they are lightly staked it's pretty simple to "properly stake" with a hammer and punch...I would think the more important factors would be the grade metal used as well as the dimensions etc.....

Off topic question ....I see people always ask about the staking of the gas key ....am I missing something or is that not that big of a deal really? I mean if they are lightly staked it's pretty simple to "properly stake" with a hammer and punch...I would think the more important factors would be the grade metal used as well as the dimensions etc.....

sure you can fix just about anything.. but I think people generally ask that because it indicates a sense of care and quality in the work... 

you get something that is half-assed it speaks to the rest of the overall quality.. as in if that is rushed and not done with care what else is wrong... obviously you want good quality base materials.. but I think you get what I am saying.. 

Now you got me interested..lol....went on their website and just about everything is OOS...im on notification list but how long do they get stuff back up?...gotta say nice stuff of their website

Their stuff usually sells put quick. If you are on notifications you'll get an email when stuff is available. Order right away. I've seen lowers sell out in an hour uppers take a little longer to sell out but not much last very long at all.

sure you can fix just about anything.. but I think people generally ask that because it indicates a sense of care and quality in the work... 

you get something that is half-assed it speaks to the rest of the overall quality.. as in if that is rushed and not done with care what else is wrong... obviously you want good quality base materials.. but I think you get what I am saying.. 

+1

I can see your point..

Their stuff usually sells put quick. If you are on notifications you'll get an email when stuff is available. Order right away. I've seen lowers sell out in an hour uppers take a little longer to sell out but not much last very long at all.

ok I'll keep my eyes open..thanks Bugsy

+1 I'm not a big fan of buying something "professionally done" that comes out half assed.

According to various sources (lawers, cops, and various FFL's) all indicate and agree that the law indicates only the COLT AR15 is banned by name. However the law indicates Any firearm that is Similar to a banned weapon would also be considered illegal. Based on the LoOSE terms of the word "similar" any AR style rifle could be deemed illegal if the mood struck the cop or ATF agent right.

According to various sources (lawers, cops, and various FFL's) all indicate and agree that the law indicates only the COLT AR15 is banned by name. However the law indicates Any firearm that is Similar to a banned weapon would also be considered illegal. Based on the LoOSE terms of the word "similar" any AR style rifle could be deemed illegal if the mood struck the cop or ATF agent right.

I do not believe the ATF deals with things like that.. since it is a state law.. 

the law says the following

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

this is also relevant

1. The Colt Match Target rifle, based on the manufacturer's specifications, is not part of the AR-15 series, and, thus, is not prohibited under N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1w(1). Although this rifle

may resemble the Colt AR-15, there have been substantial changes to the firearm, including the receiver, which is not identical to an AR-15 receiver. In addition, because of changes in

the configuration of the firearm, the Colt Match Target rifle is not substantially identical to a firearm prohibited under this classification.

It's only substantially identical if:

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a bayonet mount;

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

a grenade launcher;

Since it's not treaded, no flash suppressor, no folding stock and has no bayonet lug, it's not substantially identical. As soon as it has one more of those characteristics it's considered an assault weapon and substantially identical.