vladtepes

AR15 cleaning

First of all, I will say I get that a clean gun will function more reliably than a dirty one. With that said am I the only one that rarely cleans his AR... I shoot tons of ammo through this thing between very light cleanings... I have never spent all day cleaning the carrier and all that.. I basically just clean the barrel knock off any serious build up, and lube where needed and I rarely see any failures (maybe a couple over thousands of rounds if even a couple)... 

just curious about that habits of others.. 

I hate cleaning guns therefore I don't do it very often. I did finally break down and detail cleaned my primary training SBR after 15K rounds. Until that point, I was mostly just wiping the BCG down and lubricating it to keep it running. My HD carbine is cleaned after every range trip and every six months, the BCG broken down, wiped clean and re-lubricated. At that time, I also change out my weaponlight and optic batteries.

Otherwise, I tend to run my ARs dirty and well-lubed.

If I do anything it is a run with a Boresnake and quick wipe down followed by lube. I wipe it down just enough to be able to do a visual check for wear or signs of damage. I spend around 10 minutes on average cleaning. I won't even do that much for less than 1K rounds.

Work guns get a little more attention than personal guns, but they also get shot a lot more as well.

Once a year they get a more thorough cleaning when conducting PM.

Every 1k or so I do a quick run through the bore and a clean/lube on the BCG..every 12-18 months I'll do a teardown and complete scrub..i place a big premium on frequent inspections to identify any run-out / problem parts and address them before I get a click when expecting a bang...CLP in between keeps her running fine

Maybe once a year. Maybe not :)

After I shoot it lube it. If I see lots of metal shavings and crap in the barrel extension I'll swab them out with a Q-tip, and sometimes I'll use a second one to swab the gunk out of the charging handle/gas key slot in the upper.

Inspect the bolt face and bolt. Inspect the chamber (chrome lined) - if it's discolored it needs cleaning. I shoot brass ammo so that never happens. Look in the lower and make sure nothing is wearing out and no broken spring legs.

More important to look at it and lube it than to clean it.

Can't believe I'm reading this stuff,

there is no better way to get to know your rifle.

The more you clean it, the more efficient you get at it,

and the better you get to know the weapon, the ammo,

wear and tear on the weapon, etc.

Am I missing something?

( I'll give you this, I have not ventured into building my own).

Am I missing something?

Cleaning it doesn't accomplish anything, so efficiency is irrelevant. Inspecting it does. I'm not going to learn anything new about ARs by cleaning them that I didn't learn the first thousand times I cleaned them back when I was an idiot.

Glad to hear there aren't that many OCD hand wringers.

In a discussion with a retired gunsmith/Vietnam veteran, his feeling is that people do more harm stripping their weapons and over cleaning them constantly. Similar to the American penchant for obsessively laundering and dry cleaning clothes, this habit of cleaning a weapon, especially a military derived one, after every use may hurt more than it helps.

IMHO.

I'm kinda new to the AR, but after 250 rounds on a brand new bolt I was sort of shocked how much carbon built up on the bolt. Took me a while to scrape it off I can't imagine going 1000 before the scrape.

For you guys who "just lube", you're okay with that carbon buildup on the bolt?

Again, I'm new so maybe I didnt know that thing can really really get a buildup on it and it's fine?

I'm kinda new to the AR, but after 250 rounds on a brand new bolt I was sort of shocked how much carbon built up on the bolt. Took me a while to scrape it off I can't imagine going 1000 before the scrape.

For you guys who "just lube", you're okay with that carbon buildup on the bolt?

Again, I'm new so maybe I didnt know that thing can really really get a buildup on it and it's fine?

Are you referring to the tail of the bolt? I have probably 5,000 rounds in automatic fire on one of my bolts without cleaning the carbon off the tail. Or cleaning anything off of anywhere for that matter. And I don't plan on cleaning the bolt tail ever again, it's just that I only fire several thousand rounds a year lately and they are distributed amongst several uppers. So it takes me a couple years to get 5K on one of them.

If you have something weird going on and are getting carbon on the bolt face, or in the chamber, or the bolt doesn't move freely in the carrier (when lubed), then you'll have to clean those areas and also figure out why it is happening. Because it shouldn't be happening, at least with US ammo.

Sure there is. Build it yourself. I've assembled all my uppers and lowers myself. I visually inspect and give the bcg a squirt of oil when I put it away. They get cleaned when they need it, or if I've been shooting in the rain.

Which might be why I like having a tool to scrape out the carrier quickly and easily.

Am I missing something?

Nonsense... I never cleaned my Saigas... Maybe a handful of times ever... But I could build one in under an hour including grinding and drill out rivets... I would put my knowledge of that platform up against most people...

You know and understand the gun or you don't... Cleaning is not learning... It's just cleaning....

Thought we had this conversation before and obviously, there are mixed thoughts on this. So I will only speak from my 36+ years of experience and on my behalf.

I was always taught to take care of my tools. Inspecting and cleaning my guns/tools are actually relaxing to me. I take my time after every fire session and by time I'm done, I'm ready for a beer. I also feel very productive and proud that I have fine working weapons that never failed me. I will NOT give them that chance! I see someone mentions it does more harm. The fellow mentioned this based on a smith/nam vet. Maybe it's a little experience from what he saw. Breaking a weapon down, in the thick, could very well be more detrimental and even not necessary due to senarios. Especially if rushed. But I feel, doing it properly will not hurt a thing. I'm not saying scrubbing the barrel so hard, sparks shoot out. But a few swipes with a brush, patches and lube won't hurt. I also do not believe removing the action for cleaning is warranted all the time. That can be stretched out over time, but only you will know when it's right.

So, I feel, in my case, inspection after each fire session is most definitely warranted. Why take the chance of something going into total fail in the next session if you could correct before hand? If you are inspecting, why not clean it? I've read too many stories with photos of parts on the verge of fail and only to find out the hard way. I'm also talking basic cleanings. Not ripping the trigger actions out every time.

I've been told that I'd fail every weapon in the Marines because I was more strict than they are. I laughed. But also had my hand shook with a compliment of great work. There is nothing wrong with keeping your machines well oiled and running smooth. I'm not in the 'thick of things' where a weapon is ran through the elements and I'm guessing most here are not either. But I trust my weapons profusely and sleep better because of it.

In the end, I do not know where the ideal of not cleaning your weapon came from. But after being around weapons a long time, machinists and more, I see no reason for it. If it suits you not to.... Go for it.

Keep your weapon clean, always wear your helmet and don't stick it anywhere fishy! :)

Fail any of the above, expect parts to fall off! ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I hear you, but no one is saying that they are neglecting or abusing their tools.

Since they aren't spotless I am neglecting them? C'mon... I posit that my "dirty" guns will outlast some folks pieces that are kept in a constant state of "Inspection Ready".

My weapons are well maintained, function properly, are fed quality ammo, and are inspected regularly. I also follow the recommended preventative maintenance intervals and the manufacturer's guidelines for proper lubrication for each weapon I own. I just don't fret over them being dirty. I have shot my rifles and pistols long enough to know that they don't need to be cleaned obsessively for them to function, so I don't go crazy keeping them spotless. I carry them daily trusting them to function properly if I need them, and never lose a wink of sleep.

No one is saying what you do is wrong, they are your "tools" and you have to rely on them. I am just saying that I am very comfortable doing what I do is all. ;)

You are not going to damage your firearms by overcleaning them - that stuff only happens in the Military, where they have to be made spotless on a regular basis for no particular reason.* And GIs and Marines use some unfriendly methods to try to get that job done in the shortest period of time.

You like cleaning, clean away. If you don't know what you are doing, or you don't know your weapon, you are definitely safer cleaning it more than cleaning it less. It's just that ARs shooting brass case non-corrosive ammo under friendly stateside range conditions are not going to need cleaning to be reliable. If you look inside and you see a bunch of crap or something wrong I would certainly recommend addressing it. And keep it wet.

*However, we know that excessive barrel cleaning can reduce service life depending on how it is done and there is the potential for slight loss of accuracy through crown damage.

Are you referring to the tail of the bolt? I have probably 5,000 rounds in automatic fire on one of my bolts without cleaning the carbon off the tail. Or cleaning anything off of anywhere for that matter. And I don't plan on cleaning the bolt tail ever again, it's just that I only fire several thousand rounds a year lately and they are distributed amongst several uppers. So it takes me a couple years to get 5K on one of them.

If you have something weird going on and are getting carbon on the bolt face, or in the chamber, or the bolt doesn't move freely in the carrier (when lubed), then you'll have to clean those areas and also figure out why it is happening. Because it shouldn't be happening, at least with US ammo.

Yeah I should have been more specific. I think it's the tail. The nipple part you would jam into one of those cleaning tools and spin it around to scrape the carbon off. That had a buildup after 250 rounds. I'm not saying it would be enough to stop function from working but since I'm the novice i didn't know how much you can let build up around that nipple.

I hear you, but no one is saying that they are neglecting or abusing their tools.

Since they aren't spotless I am neglecting them? C'mon... I posit that my "dirty" guns will outlast some folks pieces that are kept in a constant state of "Inspection Ready".

My weapons are well maintained, function properly, are fed quality ammo, and are inspected regularly. I also follow the recommended preventative maintenance intervals and the manufacturer's guidelines for proper lubrication for each weapon I own. I just don't fret over them being dirty. I have shot my rifles and pistols long enough to know that they don't need to be cleaned obsessively for them to function, so I don't go crazy keeping them spotless. I carry them daily trusting them to function properly if I need them, and never lose a wink of sleep.

No one is saying what you do is wrong, they are your "tools" and you have to rely on them. I am just saying that I am very comfortable doing what I do is all. ;)

What you say is fine. Maintain is key. But there are others here that feel mud puppies are ok to last a year.

If it's not shiny, you don't ever have to scrape it. Other than a cursory wipe down there is no need to scrape the tail, or "nipple" as you called it, of the bolt.

Read my last two sentences. Lol