Sign in to follow this  
big five

Starting my 1st build

I just got my lower reviver last night. I want to a custom LPK. My question is about triggers. I just want a clean smooth trigger lighter trigger . My budget for a LPK is 100 plus a grip. Can some one point me in a good direction please

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I agree with pbkid6974 in that if you can, save for a Geissele. But if you can't or wont (like me) then do what T Bill says.

Given your budget www.joeboboutfitters.com

JP LPK w/o LTG $39.95

JP Reduced power spring kit $11.50 (yellow colored springs)

ALG - QMS Trigger Group $44.95

Total about - $96.48 plus shipping.

I created a similar thread about the topic here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/66975-alg-combat-trigger-with-jp-enterprises-trigger-spring-kit/

Given that this is your first build and possibly your first AR, think about what you are looking to do with it.  Home defense, run and gun, long range shooting, etc.  These specs will determine your choices on parts.  I love how the AR platform can be tailored to suit the type of shooting you intent to do.  If you need help deciding, ask.  Hardest part is sifting through the answers to find what works for you.

And it can always be upgraded later.  I may have enough in the spare parts bin to build a real frankengun.

Get yourself a Mil-spec LPKs call it a day. CMMG, Stag, Spikes Tactical, ect. That's all you're ever really going to need. All are 60-90 bucks. If your feeling sassy get one of those ALG triggers.

Ty, can I customize that setup with a moe grip and trigger guard?

Negative.  The LTG's are kitted by a third party for us and we buy 500-1000 at a time as-is.  I considered ordering a LTG minus a trigger guard and grip but there's very little savings for the end customer so I figured it's not worth the investment in another 500+ LPKs in that form when the difference would only be a couple bucks.

I just got my lower reviver last night. I want to a custom LPK. My question is about triggers. I just want a clean smooth trigger lighter trigger . My budget for a LPK is 100 plus a grip. Can some one point me in a good direction please

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I would just use whatever comes with any LPK.. and then later if you want more out of it.. buy a good trigger.. 

A $200 trigger does not compare to a high end car sure most people can afford a $20k car.. but cant afford a $100k car.. but we are talking about a $200 trigger..i know money can be tight.. but building a gun is not a race.. I prefer to build a gun slowly over time using the best parts I can afford.. so if it takes me months to build an AR with an amazing trigger.. then that is what I personally do.. 

I would just use whatever comes with any LPK.. and then later if you want more out of it.. buy a good trigger.. 

A $200 trigger does not compare to a high end car sure most people can afford a $20k car.. but cant afford a $100k car.. but we are talking about a $200 trigger..i know money can be tight.. but building a gun is not a race.. I prefer to build a gun slowly over time using the best parts I can afford.. so if it takes me months to build an AR with an amazing trigger.. then that is what I personally do..

exactly my thoughts. I'm really glad I didn't rush my latest build. I want a .300 blk gun and was going to go with a 16 in. barrel that I didn't want but decided to get because I live in nj. Now that I'm moving to a free state in 6 weeks I'll just put off my build for a while longer and get the sbr and suppressor I wanted all along.

I wouldn't use the JP springs. You would be loosing reliability for a slightly lighter trigger pull. Not worth it in my opinion especially if you're going to shoot steel cased ammo. But it's your gun and your life. Do what you want.

i picked up the kit MidwestPX suggested (from Midwest PX) and swapped out the grip for a MOE+.  i've shot ar's with geissele triggers in them and yes, they're awesome, but for a price.  the same guys with geissele setups have shot my ar with the alg act trigger in it and had no issues with it whatsoever.  it's smooth, linear, and while it's not light (i used the springs that came with the trigger) there's no creep and it breaks clean.  1st ar build...given your budget.  i think you have your answer.

i picked up the kit MidwestPX suggested (from Midwest PX) and swapped out the grip for a MOE+.  i've shot ar's with geissele triggers in them and yes, they're awesome, but for a price.  the same guys with geissele setups have shot my ar with the alg act trigger in it and had no issues with it whatsoever.  it's smooth, linear, and while it's not light (i used the springs that came with the trigger) there's no creep and it breaks clean.  1st ar build...given your budget.  i think you have your answer.

Yep, that's exactly what the ACT is supposed to do. They didn't lighten the pull relative to a USGI trigger but they did clean it up and removed the creep and grittiness as well as improving the break.

Personally, I go with mil spec triggers (such as in  DD LPK's). After 500-1000 rounds, they smooth out nicely. They will never be as smooth as a custom trigger, but they are reliable.

My Colt triggers started out gritty and rough, but after shooting them awhile, they get damn nice.

I would go with any mil-spec LPK. i have only one AR, and used the stag LPK. It was cheap, but it works. I had/have every intention of switching most of the parts out over time to suit more of what i want, but i'm looking at ~$300 custom LPK when i'm done... Buy the basics and see what you want to upgrade.

just to be clear.. there are plenty of triggers that work "fine".... the gun I carry every day (Glock) has an awful factory trigger.. but it works and will get it done just fine... there is no "issue" with a regular trigger... with that said there is absolutely no comparison between an average mil spec trigger and something like geissele.. not even on the same planet.. do you need a $250 trigger? no of course not.. do I need one? absolutely not... but with all that said it is for me the best of the best... and the smoothness is amazing.. for me.. while I don't need it, it was still well worth the price... so much so that I bought it again, and will buy it again.. 3 ARs and they will all have them by the time I am done... 

so really get what you want.. thats within your budget.. but just understand that at the upper end the triggers are a mechanical work of art.. and compare to no out of the box mil spec triggers.. 

big five,

I am still kinda new to the ar scene. What I did was purchase my first ar. It was a stag with standard milspec trigger. Then, because of the guys on here, I built an ar. Then as some would say building an ar is like eating potato chips...u cant just eat or build one...or two or three...

Anyhow, after shooting the stag and building a couple ar s with a standard lpk, I tried a geissele SSA-E. Now that I can appreciate the difference between a milspec and a top of the line trigger, I use the geissele every time now. If you start with the best trigger available, I am not sure you would appreciate the geissele.

So, I would recommend that you buy a LPK now, build your gun, shoot it, then when you build your next (not if), try the spendy trigger of your choice and enjoy. Don't forget you can go back and replace the trigger at any time!

What ever you do, shoot and enjoy!!