Sign in to follow this  
DJNEB

New Handgun Question

Hey guys, so I just got my new handgun and I am confused about one little thing - is there not a traditional "safety" on the Walther P99 AS model?  I know there is the round indicator, but is there no way to lock the gun like on other firearms?  I have rifles and shotgun with safeties so maybe handguns are a bit different, but wanted some of your guys' guidance.

I mean you no disrespect, but when you say "traditional safety" that is a very misleading term.  As noted above, you are most likely referring to an "external safety" which too many people confuse for an on-off switch.  

I *believe* this particular Walther is a Double Action/Single Action pistol- what that means is, it's designed to be carried with a round in the chamber but the hammer down.  

The first time you pull the trigger, it is "Double Action", it will cock the hammer back as you pull the trigger, then fire, and then for each subsequent shot in that magazine, it will be ""single Action", the hammer will already be cocked and the trigger pull will be markedly lighter.  The initial pull in "Double Action" will be very much harder, because your finger is squeezing the trigger to first cock the hammer, Then complete the firing sequence.

The pistol I am about to buy is like this.  There is no external safety on the pistol like you're thinking, no on-off switch.  The pistol's safe with the hammer down, and there is a decocker to lower the hammer when you chamber a round but want to carry it safely.  

Two things to note- you certainly must always be vigilant because IT WILL FIRE if you pull the trigger or something does, when in Double Action/hammer down mode - it just requires a marked amount of force.

Two- you never want to carry it with the hammer cocked- that is totally unsafe in this style of pistol.

hope this helps.

I just realized this is striker fired, so you don't have a hammer to cock, but the principle is the same.  You need to use the decocker (after chambering a round) to "decock the striker" for safe carry, then when you pull the trigger the first time, (With the harder trigger pull), the striker will be "cocked" for each shot after, and the trigger will be easy to squeeze.

If you were to chamber the gun, shoot it say 5 times, then want to reholster it, you would need to /want to use that decocker to take the pressure off the internal striker, like lowering an external hammer.  

sorry for my initial igorance of the fact it has no exposed hammer.

I am not 100% sure about the P99 but with my wifes PPQ there is no decoker once you chamber the round the only safety is your finger. It is a striker fired as well but the only way to engauge the striker is to pull the slide. Then the only way to release the stiker is to drop the mag and dechamber the round and the pull the trigger. 

Every pistol has the same safety. It's external and it's called "don't ever point it at something unless ready to kill it"

When I first thought about a pistol I went crazy thinking about safeties and decockers. I got an M&P with no safety at all and after some training, but more importantly just being around people who give great advice I feel more confident about not doing something negligent vs thinking a safety will stop negligence.

(Someone here will probably yell at me for saying that).

Although i do not carry every day nor is it used in my job. But I think for range and HD I'm okay no safety. But perhaps you want a safety in case someone else gets a hold of it? Indeed each situation is unique.

I'm also confused, you bought a handgun without knowing how it operates and whether it has an external manual safety? For most people, whether a handgun has a manual safety is a big deciding factor in choosing what handgun to buy. Why did you choose the P99 instead of a different handgun (not that anything's wrong with the P99)?

Handguns do not need external manual safeties because they're meant to be carried in a holster which covers the trigger guard. Therefore while in the holster the trigger cannot accidentally be pulled. When carrying a rifle or shotgun in a sling nothing is covering the trigger guard so something could catch on the trigger so you must use the manual safety.

The P99 doesn't have a manual safety, but it does have internal safeties which prevent it from firing unless the trigger is pulled, such as a drop safety.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Not everyone grew up around guns and they really don't know much about them. I suggest you take a course to get the basics down. NRA first steps pistol or NRA basic pistol would be a good place to start.

^^ This ^^ cut the guy some slack. If you're unaware of the different types of triggers, how do you know what questions to ask? That's why he's asking - for guidance, not judgement. Not everyone has the luxury of a knowledgable friend or helpful gun store.