dobie

Rule on PP Extensions

Is there a rule governing PP extensions? Had a PP that expired in April so I took it down to local PD and asked for renewal thinking they would give me another 90 days.

They said they'd call me when it was ready to pick up but it was only going to be for 60 days. Is it up to individual jurisdictions how long they give you?

Congratulations Dobie; I think you've got a new one there!

The law states that renewal is at the discretion of the issuing authority. So no, they don't have to.

But the law also says a renewal is for a 90 day period.

So I don't think a renewal for 60 days is legal.

But it would be better than nothing.

Maybe you misunderstood and your local PD is saying that by the time you get the permit back that you'll only have 60 days to use it? Otherwise, it seems they'd have to retype the permit and it seems a like a lot of trouble just to keep you from getting the extra 30 days.

There are a couple of issues here (as follows)

1) According to the NJ State Police - a HG permit may not be extended after the initial expiration date.

This means if it expired on April 30th and you went in on May 1st - by law they cannot extend it because

it has already expired.

2) if you were to let it extended (before the 90th day) than as Troy pointed out - it is good until the 180th

day from the initial (issue) date, the date it was first signed.

There is no place on the permit for the LEO to stipulate a 30, 60 or 90 day extension  - the permit is a

State issued lic., not a local PD lic.

*********OR they just back date it 30 days to kill the 30 days it had lapsed************

Up to the CLEO to issue or not..........

Note that the extension must take place during the original 90 days the permit is good.  Or the entire process starts over again!

*********OR they just back date it 30 days to kill the 30 days it had lapsed************

Up to the CLEO to issue or not..........

Note that the extension must take place during the original 90 days the permit is good. Or the entire process starts over again!

I once got one extended that was over

3 weeks expired.

Most police departments will extend your permit for an additional 90 days. That's an addtional 90 days from the issue date. They will do this usually even if your permit has expired for a week or more.

The police department is doing you a favor by renewing your permit if it expired in April. Say thank you and leave. They don't have to extend your permit at all.

Totally depends on municipalities. Mine won't extend if it's even a day expired.

...mine don't offer extensions at all unless you have documentation that you have a firearm payed for and on back order.......

1) According to the NJ State Police - a HG permit may not be extended after the initial expiration date.

This means if it expired on April 30th and you went in on May 1st - by law they cannot extend it because

it has already expired.

Cite please. I think your first statement is the correct one - NJSP making-up rules again, but they are not laws. I have no doubt that, as an FFL, that is what they told you, but I do not recall a statute saying permits cannot be extended once the initial 90 days have elapsed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As I understand it, a permit is good for 90 days. On the 91st day the permit has expired and by strict interpretation you can not extend an expired permit. Now I am sure each chief can interpret this differently. I don't think the njsp was wrong in saying you can't extend an expired permit. But I also know they have said you can extend a permit two days after it was issued so it would be valid for the 180 days. Nothing is written about when to extend, just the validity of a permit. An extension can happen anytime on a valid permit.

The town I formerly lived in told me they can, and would, extend permits only, and anytime, after they had expired - even up to the 179 day.

That would be nice... I'd have a PPQ in the safe right now if that were so!

I had i firearms instructor tell me that his issuing PD has his new permits already extended for 180 days when he picks them up. Just make the dam permits good for 6 months or even better 1 year, with no extension.

You apply for 6 to 12 permits and you're good for 6 to12 months. This should be the norm, just think how much time this would save US and PD's!

It will also be good for increasing pistols sales, which is probably why we will never see it change from what it is.

It will also be good for increasing pistols sales, which is probably why we will never see it change from what it is.

That's exactly the answer.

BTW, the whole thing is silly, since OGAM exceptions are pretty easy to obtain.

Better yet eliminate the permit system. It has to cost the local PD at least $30-50 to process your permit and they only collect $2. You would need a FID to buy a handgun and pay say a $10 handgun registration fee in addition to NICS. The state would have to do nothing but cash the check for the registration fees collected by FFLs. Not that I'm for registration but being they do anyway it just makes it easier.

I had i firearms instructor tell me that his issuing PD has his new permits already extended for 180 days when he picks them up. Just make the dam permits good for 6 months or even better 1 year, with no extension.

You apply for 6 to 12 permits and you're good for 6 to12 months. This should be the norm, just think how much time this would save US and PD's!

The norm should be no permits. I think we can all agree on that.