mipafox

Cat Saves Kid from Dog Attack

Well, this story went viral. It even made the National MSM (the Today Show)...

My understanding is that the dog is in "quarantine" for 10 days to determine whether or not it is rabid, and then will be put down as it is "unadoptable."

Shame...

I also have an awesome cat. He knows what time I get home from work and always waits for me by the door. As soon as he hears my car he meows until I get in. He's usually my shadow around the house. When people come over he runs to the door to greet them. Etc.

A cats personality is a reflection of their owner. If your cat is moody and aloof take a look in the mirror. All my cats have been very affectionate and social. I believe any animal (cat or dog) will bond with you as long as you provide love and trust.

I adopted one of my cats because I could tell he had serious trust issues. He would get aggressive if petted anywhere but his head. I was concerned someone would adopt him and bring him back saying he tried to bite them. It took about a year but one day I was walking past him and he's on the sofa lying on his back asking for a belly rub. Once a cat offers their tummy for a rub that cat is yours. He now is very mellow and never shows any aggression. He likes to talk to me and lay in my lap this from a cat that would run and hide if I coughed to loudly.

The big cat is Morgan ( the aggressive cat) and the other cat is Nikki (as in Tesla).

The second picture is the second day after Nikki met Morgan.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

post-1428-140020553924_thumb.jpg

post-1428-140020580624_thumb.jpg

Awesome cat! But I know of a dog that would have eaten that other dog.

I knew a pair of cats that would have eaten it too. Totaled about 52lbs together and not fat. They'd stalk the mailman as a team. You hear if cats bringing mouse and/or bird corpses to their people as treats. These guys brought my aunt a decent sized rattlesnake they had dispatched as a present. Upside is you aren't going to get surprised by it in the back yard. Down side is when the cats ask to come in, it isn't obvious the rattlesnake on the deck is dead right away.

A cats personality is a reflection of their owner.

this...

cats take as much attention as you want to give them.. if you just let them do their thing and ignore them %90 of the time.. expect them to not care about you much... but if you put yourself in their world.. and interact with them on the regular you would be surprised how amazing they can be.. my cat sits.. speaks.. stands.. on command... he plays fetch.. and he it attached to my side whenever I am home... hes a really affectionate animal.. loving.. friendly..  curls up on my lap pretty much every night while I am on the computer.. 

if you dont like cats you just have not spent the time to be around one enough.. 

10271529_876259465717991_240954779149423

I also have an awesome cat. He knows what time I get home from work and always waits for me by the door. As soon as he hears my car he meows until I get in. He's usually my shadow around the house. When people come over he runs to the door to greet them. Etc.

This describes our cats to a T. They are very well trained and are intelligent. We also want a dog but realize we just dont have the time for a puppy so for now we are happy with Cheebs & Boone.

If that was my kid.... the dog would have been euthanized on the spot.....

It was reported that the mother actually went after the dog and was bitten, too.

I knew a pair of cats that would have eaten it too. Totaled about 52lbs together and not fat. They'd stalk the mailman as a team. You hear if cats bringing mouse and/or bird corpses to their people as treats. These guys brought my aunt a decent sized rattlesnake they had dispatched as a present. Upside is you aren't going to get surprised by it in the back yard. Down side is when the cats ask to come in, it isn't obvious the rattlesnake on the deck is dead right away.

My uncle's cat brought home a live, 12-inch bass.

That video looked like the dog had it in for that kid.

We had a German Shepherd growing up who was really obedient & never aggressive with people. Our cats used to jump on her, grab her tail, etc. She never so much as snapped or growled at them.

But there was this little jerk in the neighborhood who used tease her and throw rocks (pebbles) at her when she was chained in the backyard.

He quit after we caught him the act and my folks talked to his (the good old days, when stuff like that worked).

Well one day, months later, my mother was bringing her out to the yard when the kid walked by. She broke loose, jumped the fence and brought him down. Thankfully she grabbed his jacket, not a limb and we were able to pull her off.

Not saying that's what happened here, but not every dog who bites someone is necessarily dangerous or aggressive.

Cats are flakey.

I've had cats all of my life. None of them were bad, but each one had their own personality. Some were super friendly and others were loners. IMO, you can't train cats like dogs.

I just read a article, Scrappy The chow/lab mix dog was put down. 

As expected, after the 10 day quarantine.  The reports I read indicated that he attempted to attack the workers at the shelter as well.  It's a shame, but probably necessary. Probably no way to rehabilitate the dog. 

I still want to know how the dog was raised/treated by their owners and whether or not they could face any penalties as a result. At least, they should face a penalty for violating leash laws, if there were any.

When I investigate a bite I issue tickets for dog running at large, unlicensed, unvaccinated, and failure to display vaccination and or licenses. That's about all an animal control officer can do in a bite case like this. Then the victim can sue the dog owner