One_crazy_dude

Any one with T-Mobil.

I've beet with AT&T for a long time and think its time to try another carrier. Anyone here use t-mobile in New Jersey. What do you think? How is the service (any dropped calls) ? Is the interernret fast and available how is there everything unlimited plans

. Thank you.

I can only speak to the fact that I have friends who use T-mobile and they're happy they switched...but all of them live and work where there is strong T-mobile signal.   Where I live, only Verizon works, so that's where I have to be...limited data and high expense.

This is a loaded question...drop calls will happen here and there with any carrier...now ppl will be quick to jump in and say "well I have (insert carrier here) and never had an issue." This may be true and great for them, but there are so many variables that can cause a dropped call that they just might not be falling within one or more of those variables and/or I'm willing to call Bravo Sierra on that they never have an issue, but I digress lol. IMHO, the T-Mo network has improved 10 fold from years back. 10-11+ years ago during Omnipoint/Voicestream and very early T-Mo days, yes, the network was horrible. Around 06-07ish is when things really started to improve. Gaps were filled in and there was huge push for better network performance. About 5 years ago I was on a conf call driving from Trenton area, all the way up to Wayne and the call stayed up the entire way...thats huge. Speed? Very good/fast from my experiences. I've as much as 33 down and 20 up depending on the area and number of users within that immediate area. I rarely have to call customer care, maybe once a year if that, but when I do they seem to get thing straight right away. As far as plans go...can't really comment on the plans, best to look over all the plans and pick which one works for you...pay for only what you need/use...if someone is only using 1.5G data /mo lets say...no need for an all unlimited plan. 

I have had t-mobile since they were voicestream and I have been extremely happy.  True, verizon has better coverage in the tri-state area but t-mobile comes in a close second.  T-mobile is cheaper and has better data service.  Also, t-mobile has wifi calling which is basically VOIP anywhere were you can get a wifi signal (except for iphone, apple won't allow t-mobile to put their VOIP software on the iphone).  I live in the middle of a golf course with the closest tower being at least 1/2 mile away.  All 3 carriers have shotty service in my community but I have a full signal in my house via the router.

Well considering the Tmobile store in brooklyn has a live DJ are they pushing service or Music.

Steve, now that I think about it...It might be part of one of the "un-carrier" phases...where ppl can stream music non wifi and not have it count towards their data.

I have been a T-Mobile customer for about 15 years.  The only places I have had reception problems are really remote locations like on one of the barrier islands off the coast of GA.  They use a GSM network like AT&T, no contracts, lower prices, what's not to like?

If the guys who are on T-mobile wouldn't mind adding in what location they frequent I think it would help more people make a switch.

Example...I live in Hunterdon county and travel to Essex, somerset and warren county and have Crappy, decent, or excellent cell zone coverage. As stated above, I know the coverage topic is subjective, but knowing where people live/travel provides a clear picture. If you live in Cape May and never leave your house AND have great service could be very different from someone living in Alpha NJ who travels a ton.

From my point of of view, I've been a verizon guy for years but have seriously thought about changing. Paying 300 plus a month for cell phones gets old pretty fast

I live in manalapan and travel to paramus every day. I get great reception in manalapan, marlboro, freehold, old bridge, howell, lakewood, paramus, mahwah, etc... I get bad service in my community, as mentioned earlier, and i get almost no reception at range 14, which is a good thing, .my wife cant bother me there :).

Never really impressed with them ( customer for 10+ years because they have been least expensive )

Half the time I have to walk out the front door to get decent call quality

Lose connection on 539 en-route to R14 ( I'm in Silverton )

Can receive texts and calls at local in-door range ( can't answer calls or reply to texts without exiting the building )

Been thinking about switching to AT&T because my bil who has it doesn't have the problems mentioned above

Be careful with them.  The phone upgrades are insane.  My blackberry went through the washing machine by accident (sure is clean now) so I selected a new phone on their site - Galaxy 2, not exactly cutting edge.  Costs me $20 a month for 2 years to pay for it.  My daughter was due for an upgrade.  Best deal they had in the store was something like $650 for a galaxy 5.  She found one on Amazon for half that.  So much for upgrades.

If you browse their equipment as a new customer, then log in as an existing customer, the selection goes down and the price jumps up for the same stuff.  Don't do any contracts with them.

Coverage-wise, it's generally ok anywhere I go (mostly central jersey), but I have had to go outside on my deck and stand on my toes to get a signal.  And I don't live in the sticks.

And the plans aren't cheap either.  For a family plan of 4 phones, the monthly rate is far more than the $99 advertised, after all the fake fees are tacked on.

You need to remember, t-mobile no longer has contracts, so you need to buy the phone outright (either full payment up front or 24 monthly payments), so in reality, there are no more upgrades.  This is how they were able to drop there prices for service.  Don't think you are getting free phones from verizon or at&t, the cost of the phone is included in the service fees.  The plus side is that you can use any unlocked or t-mobile phone and there is no contract, but in the long run, if buying a phone from t-mobile, you are still paying for it the same way you pay for it with verizon or at&t.

And the taxes that they charge are the same as verizon and at&t.  To be frank, for 5 phones, all with unlimited phone, text and data (2 of the phones with the extra 3gb of high speed data), I am paying $158 per month.  However I did just spend $700 for my wife's new iphone 5S.

Never really impressed with them ( customer for 10+ years because they have been least expensive )

Half the time I have to walk out the front door to get decent call quality

Lose connection on 539 en-route to R14 ( I'm in Silverton )

Can receive texts and calls at local in-door range ( can't answer calls or reply to texts without exiting the building )

Been thinking about switching to AT&T because my bil who has it doesn't have the problems mentioned above

Can you post the mile marker and/or exactly where on 539 you lose your connection...also which direction you're traveling N,S,E,W(I don't know that area) and what technology are you on 2G, 3G/4G, LTE.

In building coverage has always been a challenge with higher frequency spectrum...this will soon change as the 700Mhz is being introduced very soon...when this happens, In building coverage will improve. For coverage in an indoor range(RTSP), I switch my phone to 2G and I can easily send/receive text msgs and wifi for internet if needed. If your range has wifi, a wifi calling enabled phone cures all.   

Can you post the mile marker and/or exactly where on 539 you lose your connection...also which direction you're traveling N,S,E,W(I don't know that area) and what technology are you on 2G, 3G/4G, LTE.

In building coverage has always been a challenge with higher frequency spectrum...this will soon change as the 700Mhz is being introduced very soon...when this happens, In building coverage will improve. For coverage in an indoor range(RTSP), I switch my phone to 2G and I can easily send/receive text msgs and wifi for internet if needed. If your range has wifi, a wifi calling enabled phone cures all.

Don't know which mile marker , traveling N from rt. 70 , 3G.

Pretty new to the whole smart phone thing , have had it less than a year.

You're saying if I set up WiFi calling I'll be good to go in the building ?

If you can replicate it again and tell me the exact spot, I can send a tech out to test that area...being it seems like its in a same area all the time, it tells me it could just me a simple tweak of the power output between two towers...the signal could be dropping off just before the next tower is s'posed to take over.

If your phone is wifi calling capable and the range has wifi, you will be G2G.

As long as you have a wifi connection, yes

I am in Essex county and TMo here is close to perfect (but it's a very densely populated area...), much-much better than AT&T. I had AT&T for more than a year starting in 2010 when I moved to the US, but then I switched to TMo and can't really be happier from the technical standpoint (customer service is a different story though...).

In less populated areas I often have zero signal at all, but in all fairness my friend with AT&T doesn't have a signal there either...

Never tried Verizon etc. I am GSM guy :)

Not just a wifi connection, but a wifi calling enabled device.

Yes, that's why I said earlier that it won't work with the iphone.

I have another question, I was in Hazlet the other day, my phone is showing 4G LTE and I have no data connection.  I turn LTE off and everything works fine.  Why is that?  I have a Galaxy S4 

Yes, that's why I said earlier that it won't work with the iphone.

I have another question, I was in Hazlet the other day, my phone is showing 4G LTE and I have no data connection.  I turn LTE off and everything works fine.  Why is that?  I have a Galaxy S4 

Was it Thursday/Friday? Everything ok now?

Actually it was Thursday and Saturday.  Haven't been back there since.

Thursday Verizon had a huge outage which affected a big portion of TMO's(and other carriers) backhaul for NJ and NY...900 sites in NY and 200 in NJ(for just TMO)...at the same time we're  doing a lot of network modernization gearing up the network for VoLTE so you might get some data hiccups on LTE...I experience it too, I just switch it to 3G/4G for the time being and its G2G. 

We have been T-Mobile customers for the past 13 yrs. Over the years coverage has gotten better and their cs has been good. However, since my son upgraded to an LG L9 several months ago the coverage at work and home has been very poor. It wasn't the best with his previous galaxy 4 but better than now. He lives on the Ewing/Hopewell border and works close to home. Except for this, we are generally pleased with them.