remixer

Whats your Charity?

I guess I don't know hoe to read either since I answered a non military/first responder

I will now resubmit my charity

I donate to Marines helping Marines.

Used to donate to WWP but found out they have some anti gun stances

Great you revived a comment from September 4th. Congrats. I moved on maybe you can

I hardly think that 3 months deserves to be labeled as "revived", especially on a thread that's pinned to the top of the page.  That being said, I've never seen this thread before, and I didn't take the time to look at the dates associated with each post.  Hop off.

Many Crossfit events are collecting money to veterans and military. I am trying to participate in those when I can. This is one of the most simple ways to do it.

I prefer to do donations targeted to a specific goal though. For example I donated to a fund for families of 19 firefighters who died last year in a wildfire but I would think long before donating to let's say Red Cross (just for example).

This year all donations go to help Ukrainian volunteers and military. Those brave men stood up to protect homeland despite of common idea that 'government never did them any good' and despite the fact that many in government are criminals and traitors. Guess government does not equal homeland. This is probably not the answer Steve was looking for though.

Take a look at how little of each dollar donated actually goes to helping. WWP's overhead is bloated and disgusting.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/12/08/wounded-warriors-project-a-legal-scam/

I'm surprised Trace Adkins puts himself out there for the WWP.  He may not know that the staff is paying themselves pretty nicely:

Yet another accusation is that the nonprofit pays its executives salaries and bonuses that rival corporate sums. Records show that the Wounded Warrior Project paid 10 senior executives more than a combined $2 million in salaries, benefits, and incentive pay in 2012. Less than a fourth of it came out to $400,520 in bonuses for those officers.

CEO Steven Nardizzi walked away with $311,538, a third of it in bonus pay — an amount Charity Navigator says comes out to less than 1 percent of total operating expenses in 2012.

The base pay for the execs didn’t bother Calvin Harris, a certified public accountant and former United Nations Foundation controller, now president of Maryland-based Change Management. His own salary as onetime CFO for a vaccine-development nonprofit was roughly the same as the payout for the officer working in the same role for the Wounded Warrior Project.

What raised a flag for the consultant was the bonus pay, plus a $21-million payout to the charity’s 248-member staff — especially given that it paid more than $1 million to consult with a professional fundraising firm that year.

Source for the snippet here:

http://ivn.us/2014/04/22/controversy-surrounds-veterans-charity-white-house-connections/

I'd rather do a local fundraiser, where every cent of the money goes to the cause.  And in fact, I do that about every month cooking breakfast for any Vet who stops in.  Support your local Elks Club.  We take not a nickel on these events.  100% donated time and facilities.

The trouble is, turnout is weak and we can't raise enough money to buy expensive medical equipment.

My Union made up shirts and are selling them. 100% of it goes to wwp. We donated the shirts

If anyone wants one they are $20

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1419266234.356751.jpg

May not be as successful as if your Union had picked a different organization.  There's even info in this thread about the scrutiny that the WWP is under currently.

I witnessed a hunting trip the wwp did at a refinery I work at. Union carpenters built blinds and the refinery supplied the ground. Guys from each trade were guides. The wwp brought out the vets, guns and ammo. So they do help. They may waste money but so do a lot of organizations.

Hello, as a new member to this forum, this is my first post.

While a bit off topic of the original question regarding donations to military and/or first responders charities, for the past 6+ years I have been giving financial donations to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. I would rather give money to an organization that helps the people around me in our state. FYI - For every $1 donation, this charity distributes approximately $10 of groceries to food pantries, shelters, soup kitchens and many faith-based feeding programs around the state. Many US armed forces veterans are recipients of what this charity provides. I strongly believe that only when all people in NJ have food adequate to their nutritional needs, can we have a safe, stable and productive community and future.

Also, at least once or twice a year my wife and I donate clothing we do not wear anymore, or have grown out of, (my pants waist size....), to our local chapter of the American Red Cross. We also gave money to the American Red Cross after the two major natural disasters to affect our country: Hurricane Katrina and Super Storm Sandy.

I also give money once a year to both PBS: Public Broadcast Service and WNYC (NYC's Public Radio station), since I have determined that they provide the least sensational and most unbiased perspective on their respective daily television and radio newscasts.  Having watched and listend to many TV and radio stations, IMHO, I find that these two are by far, strive for and usually provide the most intelligent and educated discussions and debates on the important issues we all are faced with. Like many others here, I am fed up with the slanted political perspective and biases, as well as the silly, if not stupid glorified and utterly useless celebrity gossip and professional athletes / sports team blather crap that has supplanted actual regional, national and international news on almost all other radio and television programs.

AVB-AMG

I witnessed a hunting trip the wwp did at a refinery I work at. Union carpenters built blinds and the refinery supplied the ground. Guys from each trade were guides. The wwp brought out the vets, guns and ammo. So they do help. They may waste money but so do a lot of organizations.

It's totally okay because WWP helps some people....sometimes...while others also volunteer.

WWP is disgusting and a doesn't do nearly as much as people think it does, and not nearly for as many vets as they think either. Find a charity that wasn't started by some big shot CEO/CFO that claims only a fraction of a percent towards payroll while loophole-ing bonuses and using the "charity" as a shell for income towards other business' they own by funneling "donations" from the charity into said organizations...

For me it's Fisher House and Navy SEAL Foundation

My charity is Angels among us. It's a charity run by Duke university hospital to fight brain tumors and Brian cancer. My father had a very rare form of brain cancer and since his diagnosis my family has tried to raise as much as possible. Beefsteaks, motorcycle runs, even 50-50's at parties. Unlike a lot of charities every cent they raise goes toward ground breaking research.

Garden State Underwater Recovery Unit. Gsuru.us they are 100% donation funded and all volunteer. They help flood rescues and help find drowning victims. They helped a lot during sandy and didn't ask for anything in return.