1LtCAP

masks

ok. bunch of questions. i really hope to hear from our leo and military brothers on this one.

something that's been bugging the #$% out of me ever since ferguson, has been the le usage of teargas. what happened in ferguson could easily have happened in camden nj, which is less than 5 miles from my shop, and less than 10 miles from my home. i am equipped(firearm-wise) to defend either should the need arise.

my problem? in their attempts to turn back rioters/looters, le needed to deploy teargas(or is it cs now?) either way,when i think about that, here i am guarding my shop, and customers vehicles parked inside, rioters coming from one direction, police coming from another. they deploy gas. now....that gas isn't gonna come my way, then stop, realizing i'm a good guy, and turn around leaving me alone. if it's deployed, it's gonna mess with me just as much as it will with the bad guys.

so.....what kind of riot mask would i be wanting to be able to still safely shoulder my firearm, yet protect me from this stuff? i've seen msa advantages being sold on ebay for not too horrible expensive. they look decent as in they're full face, letting me not lose any peripheral vision.

thanks guys!!

Btw any mask with a current filter will work for tear gas, you are just gona have to pay more for better field of view. I.e. an m17 for $40 will get the job done you just cant change filters without taking the mask off and fiwld of view sucks.

you can color me intrigued as well.

also, kid sizes? not that my kid would (hopefully) be shooting, but at least something so he can see where we're going and not be crying his eyes out from the gas.

good point on sizes. i'm skinny, at 6'2 165. mom is staying with me now....she's 5'7 around 250'ish.......thinking i'd be getting one for her too.....

This is not the best answer for working in a CS environment but I bring it up again for anybody that "preps." It is a MUST if you are going to be caught at your job or on the highway. None of you will have a full-face within reach and even when you do you won't be foolish enough to wear it at work, in a grocery store, or driving down the highway. This you would. 

"OV Relief" (organic vapor relief) N95/99/100 DOP dust masks.These are dust masks that are not certified for protection, but are treated to provide "relief" from organic vapors and/or acid gasses in addition to a true DOP particulate protection rating. I HAVE been driving down the highway and encountered a burning chemical plant or tanker and put one of these on. Over the years I have kept one in my fag bag and/or glove box/center console in a plastic quart freezer bag. None of the End of the World Commandos are actually going to throw on a pro-mask/respirator in such a situation. First, you won't have it within reach, second, some cop will probably pull you over if not shoot at you.I have also thrown them on doing site walks through chemical plants when I developed reason to be concerned about exposure. I threw one on when a delivery at PVSC made my contractors run away and leave the area due to an intolerable and nauseating smell, and was able to remain. I threw one on for a brief exposure to Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) atmosphere that I knew was dangerous but would not actually harm me (don't tell the "O" people) and the odor was gone. I was once working on the roof of a VA hospital when I saw a sign that said extreme biological danger - protection required. They said the filter was working fine and they walked past it once a week, I decided to reach in my fag bag and throw on the mask.These are not things that are appropriate or even legal for protection against occupational exposure, not something to bring when you expect trouble, but they are something you can have on you at all times and WILL provide some escape protection factor against OV, acid gas, or bio that certainly could be enough to save your life or prevent injury in the event of a chemical release or fire.http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-masks/=q1d9ye

How much are MCU 2P masks?

+1

cost shipped to PA? I am interested... also cost of filters?

group buy? lol

you can color me intrigued as well.

also, kid sizes? not that my kid would (hopefully) be shooting, but at least something so he can see where we're going and not be crying his eyes out from the gas.

I will be in the store tomorrow, I will see how much they are and how many we have. We dont have kids masks, just lightly used issue mitary masks.

For those of you who haven't been in the military, the military issues corrective vision inserts

The suggestion on the M17 and "current filters"..I don't believe there ARE any "current filters for M17s because the masks have been out of US military inventory for over a decade

For any mask you want to use filters that have been in packaging for serious business, so keep a filter for training purposes if you want, but realize that for serious business you'll want to use a filter that was still in its packaging until very recently.

For those of you who haven't been in the military, the military issues corrective vision inserts

The suggestion on the M17 and "current filters"..I don't believe there ARE any "current filters for M17s because the masks have been out of US military inventory for over a decade

For any mask you want to use filters that have been in packaging for serious business, so keep a filter for training purposes if you want, but realize that for serious business you'll want to use a filter that was still in its packaging until very recently.

i'm personally still looking into those masks with a full face, rather than those with individual eye lenses. i feel that in ANY kind of confrontation....say for instance........ferguson type scenario, and i'm wearing one to keep from being gassed while i defend my home against the looters.......with full face, i lose no peripheral. with the other style......i feel i'll lose too much peripheral vision. i can't see them making corrective inserts for those. although now that i think about it, i may ask my eye doc.

the final thing i been thinking about.......lasik. or some form of corrective eye surgery so i don't need anything........

I used the M17, the M24 and the M40 series while I was in.

The M24 was nice because of that full face as you mentioned, but you also had the canister on a long ass hose to deal with that you didn't have with the 17 or 40

The important thing with any mask regardless of model is proper fit and maintenance

Not exactly something you want to just buy and throw in a corner thinking you don't need to do anything to it til your moment of need.

Our units masks were constantly being checked by the unit NBC NCO

I used the M17, the M24 and the M40 series while I was in.

The M24 was nice because of that full face as you mentioned, but you also had the canister on a long ass hose to deal with that you didn't have with the 17 or 40

The important thing with any mask regardless of model is proper fit and maintenance

Not exactly something you want to just buy and throw in a corner thinking you don't need to do anything to it til your moment of need.

Our units masks were constantly being checked by the unit NBC NCO

i can see where the remote canister could be a pain in the $$%. i can see it making things slightyly easier too? because the weight of the canister's not essentially hanging off of your face now? what about connections? i shoot left handed.....